Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

J-PAC Loses Sync?

Hey guys,

I posted my M.A.M.E conversion cab here: http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/75527-Original-1990-s-Gottlieb-Challenger-20-quot-Upright-Hybrid-Arcade-Machine

I currently have the machine listed on eBay, and would like to see it going to a new home without any worry of future problems occurring. I have been "testing" the machine for the past week or so, and have begun to notice that the J-PAC loses sync. This will occur approx.. 10% of the time. To fix the problem, you simply unplug the J-PAC from the USB port and plug it back in again, and all is well. I don't want to have to explain to the potential buyer that it's a requirement every time the J-PAC loses it's sync. The funny thing is though, the sync lights on the J-PAC are fine.

So I did a bit of research and discovered that quite a number of people are having the same issue. Particularly those who have purchased the newer model J-PAC (like myself) and also, those that connect the J-PAC to their PC via a PS/2 to USB cable. Here are my findings:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=142001.0

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=134130.0

Apparently it has to do with the J-PAC not receiving enough power via the USB port to supply the on-board video amp. So it will simply cut out/lose sync. I didn't really find a definitive solution other than to try an older J-PAC or to try using a PS/2 cable (which I will do today).

I just wanted to know if anyone here on AA has experienced a similar problem, and whether or not they found a solution.

Cheers,

Dylan

I actually have this problem on one of my cabinets where it is powered by PS/2. So I can rule out the USB side of things being the only cause.

I just reboot the PC and it's fine. Mine wouldn't happen 10% of the time though, maybe more like 2%-3%, it's a rare occurrence for me.

I actually have this problem on one of my cabinets where it is powered by PS/2. So I can rule out the USB side of things being the only cause.

I just reboot the PC and it's fine. Mine wouldn't happen 10% of the time though, maybe more like 2%-3%, it's a rare occurrence for me.

Wow, so strange?? A few people reported that switching to a PS/2 cable did solve the problem, but not in all cases. I might give it a go, is there any difference in using a PS/2 as opposed to a USB cable in terms of latency with the inputs etc.? Some people have said that using a PS/2 connection is a little slower than USB.

There is apparently no difference and it REALLY pisses Andy from Ultimarc off that people think there is a difference :) That's one of the reasons why he killed PS/2 on the latest version, as he vehemently states that USB is identical in every way.

Also, I always heard the OTHER way around, that USB had input lag as opposed to PS/2 having no input lag. This is what Andy has done his best to dispel.

Does it have no sync on startup, or after playing for a while?

I assume it's only a problem for ppl running an arcade monitor?

It can occur randomly, usually only during play. Not through Windows startup/BIOS screens. As mentioned, the "sync in" and "sync ok" lights are both on. It is connected to a NANAO KZ20 20" CRT. I tried a PS/2 cable, so far so good. But it could be a week before I see a problem, who knows... Perhaps the problem only occurs on some graphics cards, then again.. It could be related to the actual PC. Too many to list, most have narrowed down to a power loss via the USB port.

• 11 months later...

Mine was doing this only yesterday for the first time in several years.

I "fixed it" by reordering the USB ports i was using for all the controllers. Try this and also try to connect it to the PC using a "powered" USB port or hub.

Dunno - it just worked for me.