Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nexus 7 Pinball

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Wow ... dunno how I missed this thread before now... inspiring !!

I didn't even know about "The Pinball Arcade" app either, so thank you..

I have a dilemma though ... I have a Nexus 7 (which I love), a Galaxy Note 8 and a Sony S Tablet ("snap" Rat!!) and I'm not sure which one to "sacrifice" for my own project. Any Suggestions ?

Sony S Tablet could be difficult because of the angled design and the placement of the propriety power connector on the long axis of the tablet ...

Damn .. I already have too many projects, but I really love the idea of this ...

State
    NSW (Newcastle)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    727 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jedimamer View Post
    I have a dilemma though ... I have a Nexus 7 (which I love), a Galaxy Note 8 and a Sony S Tablet ("snap" Rat!!) and I'm not sure which one to "sacrifice" for my own project. Any Suggestions ?

Sony S Tablet could be difficult because of the angled design and the placement of the propriety power connector on the long axis of the tablet ...
    My decision was based on the fact that my Nexus 7 wasn't being used for anything else as it was painfully slow to move between apps so maybe test the app on the devices and see which one plays the pinball games well but is of the least use for something else.

I have discovered that the Nexus 7 does not have the ability to use a OTG cable for keyboard use as well as charging. Maybe one of the others can do it? I had planned on having an outlet on the back connected by a USB charger that I could have connected to a USB hub so that I could charge the tablet and speaker while playing. Apparently this is a device limitation not an OTG cable limitation, I even tried an OTG cable that was split (from factory) for this purpose.

The other this to take into account is whether you want your pinball to be proportionally correct. I did, however as I had someone else make the cabinet for me (a relative who is a qualified cabinet maker) he made some changes to the design when he made it. An example of what he changes was the back board, I designed the hinges to go on the inside of the side pieces so as to not interfere with the artwork and aspect ratio would be correct but he made it so that when the back glass is folded down it is a neater size. With the final product not being a proper scaled down size, the decal size wasn't perfect. With that all taken into account, I am really happy with what I have, the only problem is how to handle the lock down bar, but that was an issue if it was to scale anyway (if it wasn't to scale in that area it wouldn't need one).

I guess I haven't answered your question at all, but maybe I have given you something to think about.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1435 Post(s)
    It's turned out really nice JAR ! You are a proud father of a baby vpin

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Would a 90 degree direct down USB connection help with your positioning?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Oh yeah....and it's looking awesome 😁

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherRat View Post
    My decision was based on the fact that my Nexus 7 wasn't being used for anything else as it was painfully slow to move between apps so maybe test the app on the devices and see which one plays the pinball games well but is of the least use for something else.

I have discovered that the Nexus 7 does not have the ability to use a OTG cable for keyboard use as well as charging. Maybe one of the others can do it? I had planned on having an outlet on the back connected by a USB charger that I could have connected to a USB hub so that I could charge the tablet and speaker while playing. Apparently this is a device limitation not an OTG cable limitation, I even tried an OTG cable that was split (from factory) for this purpose.

I guess I haven't answered your question at all, but maybe I have given you something to think about.
    Not at all ... that is fantastic info .. thanks so much !!

Nexus has developed a bit of screen yellowing which may be a little off-putting ... race may be down to a choice between the Samsung and Sony now ...

Sony actually shipped with a Pinball game pre-installed .... such a shame that sony ditched the original intention of allowing the S Tablet to play playstation 1 games natively ... At least I have Crash Bandicoot and the Pinball game to remind me of the "things that could have been"...

State
    NSW (Newcastle)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    727 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Would a 90 degree direct down USB connection help with your positioning?
    No, not really. I just need to come up with a way to cover the gap I think.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information