Thread: Looking for Convergence Strips

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    463 Post(s)

Looking for Convergence Strips

EDIT: So I should note that while i rag on the use of convergence strips at one point in this thread, they actually work really well. The key is to make sure you insert them deep enough under the yoke - they should be at least 12cm long - and then wiggle them around a bit to see the effect they have. You can make some yourself from any thin piece of something magnetically permeable (permalloy, mu-metal), magnetic, or magnetically susceptible (the last meaning ferrous, really), listed there in order of effectiveness, stuck onto the end of a thin, flexible plastic strip about 6mm wide. I hear a little chunk of snap-off box-cutter blade works fine. Remember though, that setting up your tube properly to begin with is a better idea - you only use the strips to correct dynamic (corner) convergence when the setup leaves a few imperfections.

I'm going to have to perform some convergence correction, and was wondering about those little permalloy strips you see stuck in around the yoke. Anyone know a place to pick those up, or what can be used as a substitute, given permalloy is really expensive and mu-metal's almost as bad? Can you get that stuff cheap from anywhere?

I've also heard some people use little strips of fridge magnet? Or is that a bad idea.

Any info or tips appreciated
    Last edited by buttersoft; 21st December 2017 at 08:25 AM.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    463 Post(s)

So no one's ever used anything but actual convergence strips? Or not with any success?

State
    Cairns
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3734 Post(s)
    CRT is gone, dead and buried. You won't find anyone stocking anything to do with CRT anymore.

Any bits around are likely to be used.

These strips do VERY LITTLE. They were sometimes used by the factories for final tweaking but in practice I found they do almost nothing.

Mu metal is the opposite of these strips - it was used to shield from magnetism mostly in critical applications like Oscilloscope tubes.

I suspect you are not performing the convergence/purity adjustments correctly if you have purity or convergence issues.

Some tubes just could NEVER be adjusted perfectly - many these days have been spoilt by looking at the PERFECT alignment of LCDs and when you look at any CRT it is never perfect.

State
    SE Queensland
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    885 Post(s)
    You could try here

http://www.arcadecup.com/

I also agree with Mike, and personally, whenever I've converged a picture tube I've never used the Convergence Strips myself.

Getting the picture perfect is near impossible, so good enough has always sufficed, especially for Arcade games.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

State
    Ballajura Perth WA
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    483 Post(s)

State
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)
    If I ever have to use any I just get them off of old tubes,some but not many TV tubes have them also.
    Good luck ,I hope you have plenty of patience.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    463 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Homepin View Post
    I suspect you are not performing the convergence/purity adjustments correctly if you have purity or convergence issues.
    Actually i Haven't adjusted anything... yet. But the problem isn't uniform, and it's not quite limited to the edges of the screen, so i suspect i'm going to need more than the strips.

Mu metal is the opposite of these strips - it was used to shield from magnetism mostly in critical applications like Oscilloscope tubes.
    You're saying they're magnetically susceptible, or just that they're actually little magnets?

Quote Originally Posted by dezbaz View Post
    Thx, but I already found that one. The guy stopped selling them a while ago

Thx for the replies, all.

State
    Cairns
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3734 Post(s)
    Mu metal is a magnetic shield

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    463 Post(s)

Mu metal is a magnetic shield
    Errr, yes. So is permalloy, and i've seen convergence strips labelled as being made from it. But you're saying they're normally magnets?

I suspect both would probably work?

State
    Cairns
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buttersoft View Post
    Errr, yes. So is permalloy, and i've seen convergence strips labelled as being made from it. But you're saying they're normally magnets?

I suspect both would probably work?
    These strips are mildly magnetic (and are NOT made from Mu metal) - Mu metal is NOT magnetic.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information