Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Anybody Using A VPN?

• 1 month later...

I use Astrill to be able to get most sites in China but it gets "sprung" every other week and so it is very much a cat and mouse game for Astrill and the Chinese authorities from my experience. Few others work as well in China, most I tried simply didn't get around the censorship blocks at all.

I realise you will be using a VPN for different reasons but it seems Astrill put in a lot more work than some for my purpose...:unsure

As an ex-Pom now living in Australia, I used to use iprivacytools to get access to some UK content (BBC iPlayer etc). It worked very well until the BBC updated iplayer and knocked out almost every VPN system. But the speeds were good. It also allowed access to US, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Netherlands, Spain & Switzerland although I never tried them.

www.iprivacytools.com

Edited by Htbast

• 1 month later...

Apologies for reviving an old thread but if anybody checks this for reference still please don't use Hola. It's free as their paid service can use your connection as an endpoint for someone elses traffic and so anything dodgy they may do would appear to come from your IP without you having any knowledge whatsoever.

Private Internet Access has a good reputation and don't keep logs so are one of the ones I see recommended a lot.

• Administrators

I note that Private Internet Access promote that they have Australian Servers. According to law if they have servers in this country they must comply with Data Retention laws. How does that work for privacy?

Brad

Connections to those servers would be logged, connections to their servers overseas would not have to be logged. The Aus Govt cannot mandate that any company with any footprint in Aus retain logs for their entire global operation.

• 1 month later...

VPNs are programs which do a variety of things, most commonly making content private by encrypting it and hiding your IP, although I've seen some where they AdBlock and much more. They might also unblock restricted content.

Never use a VPN without trusting it- it can potentially see all your history.

I only use ZenMate extension on Chrome + Firefox.

• 2 weeks later...