Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

[FINISHED] MGL 26 - Game 5 - Donkey Kong

Hard to give tips on this without writing a novel (even for running boards), but I'll do my best.

Barrels

-Skip the bottom hammer, it only creates problems. Levels 1-4 you want to get through as quickly as possible, because of the wild barrels. L5+ wild barrels are infinitely easier to predict.

-When transitioning between the 4th and 5th girder (up the very middle ladder), DUMP barrels down the right side broken ladder. Do this by holding right direction (steering)

(A quick note on steering - as you progress to L5, steering becomes easier. i.e. L1 barrels only steer ~25% of the time, L4+ they steer ~75% of the time)

-For Levels 1-4, get the top hammer as soon as you get up there and walk across, smashing all barrels in your way. Don't walk under Kong as he is grabbing a barrel, wait for him to turn right and start the release.

Pies

-Wait on the left side of the purse for the fireballs to spawn. Fireballs spawn from the oil can on the same side of the screen that Jumpman is on. L3 has 3 fireballs, L4 has 4 and L5+ has 5. L3 and L4 will spawn extra fireballs later on in the screen (up to 5).

-When the fireballs have spawned, take the "free pass" up the right side (if possible). If not, grab the hammer and try and smash them so they all spawn on the same side.

-The bottom conveyor will change direction when DK gets to the far left side. Top conveyors do not change directions.

-Fireballs up the very top (where DK is) do not come back down the retractable ladders.

Elevators

-The springs reach max difficulty on L4 and stay that way throughout the game

-This level is the hardest at first, but with practice it becomes the easiest. Hard to explain things through text but this video explains it pretty well:

https://youtu.be/52jl0vUIoHY

-Basically you want to know where each SS (safe spot) is:springtime_zps0a8c22cf.thumb.png.70e36b93e2681b7315dd5e91a88c4775.png

-To get from SS1 to SS2 (right to left) - go on a short spring

-To get from SS2 to the ladder, go on a long spring.

Complete strategy (very in-depth) here

Rivets

-2 patterns here - either the weave or the star. I use the star, other DK players swear by the weave.

-General strategy is to pull the rivets on the left side and then get 1 (or both) of the hammers and smash the fireballs on the right, so they spawn on the left and are trapped. Unlike the pies, they spawn on the opposite side of where Jumpman is.

-Fireballs can only go down a ladder when Jumpman is below them (true for every board)

I realise some of this is pretty vague, so if you have questions just fire away and I'll do my best to answer them :)

IMG_3041a.jpg.114e9f89ef8d1e32c10480e5dc711bdc.jpg

Latest attempt, but with a disclaimer. I did it on a machine at a public arcade today and didn't have access to the dipswitches. It was set to 6 lives to start, but I killed off the 1st 3 lives before scoring any points (by jumping into the oil tank). If this isn't acceptable, let me know and I'll try and do another score on my machine or MAME. I can't imagine it would have any effect on the game play itself. I usually do that when I play that machine, because playing with 6 lives feels like cheating ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83424[/ATTACH]

Latest attempt, but with a disclaimer. I did it on a machine at a public arcade today and didn't have access to the dipswitches. It was set to 6 lives to start, but I killed off the 1st 3 lives before scoring any points (by jumping into the oil tank). If this isn't acceptable, let me know and I'll try and do another score on my machine or MAME. I can't imagine it would have any effect on the game play itself. I usually do that when I play that machine, because playing with 6 lives feels like cheating ;)

Personally I have no problem with this. CKF is a stand-up guy and wouldn't try to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83424[/ATTACH]

Thanks for making us aware of the issue CKF.

No one has raised any issues and I can't see any so the score is in. Also great to see a machine in a public arcade.

Possibly the only person to have ever played Donkey Kong at the rooftop jacuzzi bar at our hotel in Seminyak. The barman bringing our drinks was impressed with my controller set up.

Won't be beating this score, happy hours have commenced and I have been summoned to the jacuzzi.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/03/048482fd62a8ba4a9245a8b3f24a9f2b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83683[/ATTACH]

I have played this one before (I can't say that for many games this MGL)... Problem is I never played much of it. Before now I didn't even know there was a Pies level and when Barra's tips mentioned it I had no idea what he was talking about. I thought Pies was a word for something and I couldn't work out what. I am confident that I can go and improve on this score now... but I don't have time this MGL (I might get a few sneaky games in later).

I don't know whats wrong with me, but I can't get past the first stage of level 2.

I used to be able to get to see all the stages on this, BITD.

Are there differences in the roms between mame versions? I'm playing on 148.

Or is it just me being crap at it now?

1530486136_dkong20100.png.6208920f71cd54cea885dedfdb7c97d1.png

[FINISHED] MGL 26 - Game 5 - Donkey Kong

It's Game Over for Donkey Kong as we celebrate Marios' birthday.

Apologies for the lateness of the score update - excessive excess at Wildball pin meet, followed by early morning rugby then NRL grand final meant it just could not happen!

G5final.PNG.46d02a6458dda61353e3c7ba484fd0cf.PNG

Barra picked up the hammer and smashed us all, even after handing out a tipsheet. Tight competition around 3rd to 6th.

Other highlights were scores submitted whilst lounging around tropical resorts and some info on the highscore saver add in board.

All up we had 17 players who submitted 27 scores. Exerion and Xevious continue with the final game to be announced this Friday.