Thread: [FINISHED] MGL 26 - Game 5 - Donkey Kong

State
    Sydhey
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quoted
    914 Post(s)

[FINISHED] MGL 26 - Game 5 - Donkey Kong

Since it's the 30th anniversary of the birth of Mario the plumber this seems a very appropriate game to play.

I assume no one needs an introduction, but find your way up the building, avoid barrels, use a hammer if you can and rescue the babe.

Details:

Rom:
    dkong

Dips:
    Lives: 3
    Extra life: 7,000

Score submissions into this thread, first line listing your score and include the screenshot. Submit as many scores as you want. Scores will close at 19:00 hrs, Sydney time, Sunday 4 October 2015.

Lets follow the convention of previous MGLs and not publish any tips until the second week of gaming.

Still no clues about if this is a popular or random game selection and how many or who nominated it.

Ps. If there are any rules or exploits about this game can the guns expose them early so we sort the issues I don't know of any, but I'm happy to admit to being a gaming plonker

Pps. It's Pinfest this weekend which may delay the Sun night MGL update.
    Last edited by Fire_Power; 5th October 2015 at 05:17 AM.

State
    6108, Western Australia
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Power View Post
    Since it's the 30th anniversary of the birth of Mario the plumber this seems a very appropriate game to play.
    I keep seeing this on the net.
    His first 'named' appearance was in the game "Mario Bros." came out in 1983. So he is 32 not 30.
    It is the 30th anniversary of the game "Super Mario Bros." not Mario himself.

Sorry, but this has been bugging me since it started last week.

Now back to our normal program.

Edit: I just did a little quick research, It was in 1982 for Donkey Kong Jr that he was named.
    It is said that during the development for Donkey Kong Jr., the Jumpman character was renamed to Mario when an employee at Nintendo of America's office pointed out the similar physical appearances between Jumpman and Nintendo's Italian landlord, Mario Segale. This is later confirmed by Shigeru Miyamoto during a promotional video for Super Mario Maker, which celebrates Mario's 30th anniversary. While initially designed as a carpenter, after an employee noted that he looked more like a plumber, his occupation was changed and Mario Bros. soon followed.
    Last edited by mark68; 18th September 2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added correction.

State
    Sydhey
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quoted
    914 Post(s)

Wasn't quite the exploit I was looking for but thanks anyway

(I believe everything I read on the net - when will those pills start to work )

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2317 Post(s)
    Hopefully @Barra is all dk'ed out or we're all screwed

Haven't touched DK in well over 12 months I reckon, probably longer. Hopefully I get time to play a couple of games. Work life has been against me playing much of anything this MGL.

State
    Sa
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    426 Post(s)
    Fark no there goes the MGL........ Good luck all!

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2317 Post(s)

0001.png

After not playing a game in God knows how long, I see my version of Donkey Kong MAME is still possessed by the wild barrels that apparently haunt the Fun Spot machine

State
    of Confusion
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark68 View Post
    I keep seeing this on the net.
    His first 'named' appearance was in the game "Mario Bros." came out in 1983. So he is 32 not 30.
    It is the 30th anniversary of the game "Super Mario Bros." not Mario himself.

Sorry, but this has been bugging me since it started last week.

Now back to our normal program.

Edit: I just did a little quick research, It was in 1982 for Donkey Kong Jr that he was named.
    yeah, the DK Jr intro says "Get key from Mario. Save your papa!", and later in the game there's a level called Mario's Hideout. I think there were references to him being Mario in some of the DK advertisements, but on the game itself, he was called jumpman on the instruction cards.

State
    NSW (Newcastle)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    727 Post(s)
    I have been watching a little bit of Barra on Twitch... I don't think he is bored with it.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2317 Post(s)

0002.png

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted