Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

DOS Games

So, who likes MS-DOS games?!

For my age (18) and generation, my interests are a little outdated. I'm into pinball and old PC games.

DOS games are very nostalgic for me (even though for the most part they were around before my time). My first computer game was Commander Keen 4: Secret of the Oracle and it is probably still my favourite game. I'm into a great deal of other stuff such as Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Prince of Persia, Warcraft, Extreme Pinball, Simfarm, The Secret of Monkey Island, The Dig, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, plus many more.

A great deal of new games just don't appeal to me and I believe this is what brought me to pinball.

So what is your experience with DOS games? What are your favourites?

Also, for those interested, I have been doing a fair bit of Commander Keen modding. My current project is "The Ocflore Project" (working title) that can be viewed here: http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=3022

A demo can be downloaded from here: http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=3224

Check it out, I'm always open to feedback!

Cheers, Tom

I miss my dma and irq conflicts - not ;)

Started off with 3.3 and still have vm's with 6.22 & wfw 3.11 :)

Still have boxed kq5 on 3.5"

Sometimes i miss the simplicity of being able to fix things and not having m$ bsod's [emoji23]

I remember playing Carmageddon 2 at a LAN once. The aircraft carrier level, down to the last 2 cars. Charging at each other head on, going so slowly because both of us were missing wheels and other car components, it was ridiculous :)

DOS games for me are the following. Prince of Persia, Jazz Jack Rabbit, Halloween Harry, One Must Fall 2097, Duke Nukem (original and 3d), Doom and Doom II, Zork, King's Quest, Hero's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Wolfenstein 3D, Blake's Seven, Alone in the Dark, Monkey Island (insult sword fighting, so good). Heaps of others, but those are the ones that stick out. However, I have one game from the DOS era that I replay even today, usually once a year or so I crack it out. I consider it to be one of the greatest games ever made for any system.

Another World. Hand's down the best memories of gaming that I have as a young lad in primary school. So brutally hard, but so satisfying to finish.

• Administrators

Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Dune 2, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Descent, MechWarrior 2...... Sooooo many games. I remember setting up a LAN at homw with 3 PC's outfitted with network cards and co-ax cable. Having to create a boot-disk to load the drivers and network at boot time before starting a game.

What about using Load HI so you could use memory above 640K!

I had to retrieve some files from a packed Windows 3 1/2" floppy disk a couple of months ago. I ended up having to grab images of Dos 6.22 and Win 3.1 and run them in Virtual Box. It was a sight to behold seeing DOS boot in about 2 seconds. Issue start win and see Win 3.1 fire up in about 3 seconds.

Also you hadn't really played Monkey Island or Another World unless you did it on an Amiga. So much goodness/

Brad

Oh man, Blood, SO MUCH FUN! Also Rise of the Triad, LUDICROUS GIBS! I also remember lanning on 10mbit cards using coax. We would also be frantically hunting for a network terminator to finish the network :)

Oh, and Worms. So much fun playing Worms. I still crack it out on the Dreamcast for my games nights. Many laughs to be had playing that game. There is always one asshole who just girders himself into a corner and waits everyone out.

Haven't got around to Carmageddon 1 or 2 yet, but both seem to be classics.

I love Another World! It sure is a very brutal game, especially on the first playthrough! Bought the 15th Anniversary Edition a while back and it came with a soundtrack used on the Sega version or something? That soundtrack is very atmospheric and complements the game nicely. Atmosphere is something that I place highly in order to experience the most enjoyment out of a game and Another World does this convincingly well. Another highly atmospheric DOS game I would recommend is "The Dig", a point and click adventure by the guys who did Monkey Island (Lucasarts).

I have close to no clue about DOS hardware as I played a lot of these games on Windows 98 and more recently Windows 7.

• Administrators

Yep, I had a network kit in a storage box that was carted everywhere. Full of bits and pieces switch, cables, cards and loads of balens and terminators.

Brad

oh how i miss the days of just running batch file menu's on bootup and just putting the fav games of the day in there and a few utils.

1. Wing Commander

2. privateer

3. Xtree Gold

4. Windows 3.1

I loved the old Dos RPG's any of the D&D SSi titles, eye of the beholder, Bards Tales, Wizardy, All of the Ultima Series.

Still have most of these on my HDD now somewhere and a few 5.25's floating around..

I had my PC boot to a DOS menu system that had all my fave games in a numbered list. To boot a game you just selected it with the keyboard and then hit enter and it would execute the run command to load the .exe. I remember when Win95 came out, you still had to boot into DOS to run heaps of games, as they didn't run properly in Win95. The huge leap for me was when Win98 came out, and DirectX. Then everything was being run in Win98 with either DirectX or OpenGL. When I got my first Voodoo2 card, it blew my teenage mind. MIRRORED SURFACES IN UNREAL?? WHAT IS THIS MAGIC?

Some DOS games which I have fond memories of:

Doom, Duke3D (used to play these two on a friends PCs with dialup.. two doors apart).

Street Rod series (although better on the Amiga).

Lemmings.

Tyrian.

Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries.

Sam & Max Hit The Road.

Quake consumed a large part of my life too, although it was technically the Windows version (on dialup with a ping of 250+!)

I remember getting our first family computer in 1986, one of the first games that I enjoyed playing was 3-Demon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-Demon

No wonder I like playing Wolfenstein, Doom etc. later on.

On newer computers I remember playing Budokan, I thought the graphics in the game were really good.

Also Links the golf game, I remember every new computer we got the trees would be drawn a lot faster.