Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

14" Mitsubishi Cocktail CRT x 2 - switching over, or rejuvenation?

Byrd

Question

Hi,

I'm trying to fix up a 14" CRT in my LAI Frogger cocktail - running a Jomac chassis. The CRT has aged and becomes very dim with complex images on screen, however has an excellent crisp picture (which took hours to get right). I suspect it requires rejuvenation (I've been told about Gunnar in Melbourne which can do ... but I've read rejuvenation only works best on large CRTs, not small buggers like this?).

The original CRT is a 14" Mitsubishi 370EJB22, 12 pin yoke:

http://i.imgur.com/Bwt6fox.jpg?1

I have another farm fresh LAI Galaxian cocktail, untested unknown chassis (not game to power up), with a comparable 14" Mitsubishi 370ELB22-TC01, 12 pin yoke but with slightly different plastic yoke connector, I'd like to see if this works on the Jomac chassis:

http://i.imgur.com/3ANqY2F.jpg?1

... can I modify the plastic connector on this spare CRT to fit the Jomac chassis (that is remove one of the plastic rabbit ears and shave down the other slightly)?

This is the chassis from the Galaxian unit ... I can't identify it, any ideas? I would recap but if it's anything like the Kaga Denshi on the Frogger table, it's likely not worth restoring:

http://i.imgur.com/YMpVSjr.jpg?1

Thank you!

JB

7 answers to this question

My main question is - can I chop back the plastic surround around the yoke pins to make the spare 14" CRT fit the Jomac harness without things going boom? Both CRTs are largely the same (12 pin yoke, Mitsubishi 370xxxxx model) just a slightly different connector.

I've PMed Jomac too.

Unfortunately - yoke plastic connectors are glued down hard on both CRTs ... dremel time?

I just use a very sharp Stanley knife or sharp small side-cutters and be super careful , best not to try and remove it because it break the end off the tube

Thanks Joey - I ended up using fine cutters + Dremel + no. 15 scalpel (go medically trained hands!) to carve back the plastic arms. The plastic was quite brittle but worked well with the Dremel. Plugged it in, fired up no worries. Image still seems fairly dim/washed out under complex scenes, but that's with no tweaking whatsoever. The old 14" CRT required extensive adjustment to get it usable - that's with hours of yoke coil adjustments. This one just worked off the shelf which was pleasing to see.

Does anyone have any clues what the original CRT chassis is in the other cocktail? I'd like to restore/recap if I can, but not sure if worth it.