Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

V Pincab - Questions on Places to Start?

Many thanks Jed. I will start a build thread soon - just seem to be gathering bits and pieces at the moment and trying to think through how it will all go together. So just to confirm - the glass just goes straight down on the edge of the cab under the side rails?

Genuine widebody lockdown bar is a fruitless search so far unfortunately....

Cheers

Macca

Edited by Macca5007

• Administrators

Glass on pinball cabs usually had metal rails it slides in on.

On my pincab I sank the monitor down somewhat and have it resting on some 7?mm aluminium angle that is screwed into the sides just above the monitor. I lined the bottom of this where the glass slides and rests with some thin felt.

Cheers,

Brad

Many thanks Jammasized. I will start a build thread soon - just seem to be gathering bits and pieces at the moment and trying to think through how it will all go together. So just to confirm - the glass just goes straight down on the edge of the cab under the side rails?

Genuine widebody lockdown bar is a fruitless search so far unfortunately....

Cheers

Macca

Have you tried any pinball dealers, as opposed to Ebay stores ? I got all my bits from a local dealer - you can save some money too, as sometimes they just have those bits lying around doing nothing after scrapping pins.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Hi All, thanks for all the advice so far.

Still planning and at the same time doing the carpentry on the basic part of the cabinet build and am thinking about the earlier advice about deciding on what I want out of the cabinet.

I'm probably better at the joinery than the electronics side of things. My next questions are to do with the controls and wiring and are probably pretty basic but the research I've done hasn't really assured me or given definite answers.

Controls - I've seen Chris' "virtual Pinball Encoder Kit" and that actually seems like an elegant solution for a lot of what I am wanting - it removes the need for the IPac and gives some options on the plunger functionality, as well ass provided nudge / tilt. It also has some unassigned outputs (4) for buttons that may be required. Has anyone got any feedback on this unit?

Power Sources - OK so when I did the Mame cabinet I went with plain buttons but I really like the idea of illuminated LED buttons on the pinball cab. From what I can see these buttons are very similar but have a second set of terminals (positive and negative) to power the LEDs (12v). These are daisy chained as well (?) I think and then, from what I have gathered are somehow connected into the PC board via Molex connector - is that right? If this is correct is there a set number of LED's it will run? I have a similar issue with the fans I will need to draw air from the cab - are these part of that same daisy chain or powered another way?

After this my only other consideration / decision is on the extras and how complicated it is to do:

* Lighting which sounds like a completely separately wired system with CREE lights, heat sinks to keep them cool

* Knocker for replay

* Shaker Motor

Those just feel like a stretch too far for my skills and understanding of how it all goes together and the bits I'd need.

Chris - I think I might have some specific questions for you on the encoder kit.

Thanks all!

Macca

Hi All, thanks for all the advice so far.

Still planning and at the same time doing the carpentry on the basic part of the cabinet build and am thinking about the earlier advice about deciding on what I want out of the cabinet.

I'm probably better at the joinery than the electronics side of things. My next questions are to do with the controls and wiring and are probably pretty basic but the research I've done hasn't really assured me or given definite answers.

Controls - I've seen Chris' "virtual Pinball Encoder Kit" and that actually seems like an elegant solution for a lot of what I am wanting - it removes the need for the IPac and gives some options on the plunger functionality, as well ass provided nudge / tilt. It also has some unassigned outputs (4) for buttons that may be required. Has anyone got any feedback on this unit?

Power Sources - OK so when I did the Mame cabinet I went with plain buttons but I really like the idea of illuminated LED buttons on the pinball cab. From what I can see these buttons are very similar but have a second set of terminals (positive and negative) to power the LEDs (12v). These are daisy chained as well (?) I think and then, from what I have gathered are somehow connected into the PC board via Molex connector - is that right? If this is correct is there a set number of LED's it will run? I have a similar issue with the fans I will need to draw air from the cab - are these part of that same daisy chain or powered another way?

After this my only other consideration / decision is on the extras and how complicated it is to do:

* Lighting which sounds like a completely separately wired system with CREE lights, heat sinks to keep them cool

* Knocker for replay

* Shaker Motor

Those just feel like a stretch too far for my skills and understanding of how it all goes together and the bits I'd need.

Chris - I think I might have some specific questions for you on the encoder kit.

Thanks all!

Macca

Not sure on the virtual encoder kit as I've never used one. However for the Power requirements, yes you can daisy chain all the LED lights and run the power off the PC power supply using a molex connector. The yellow on a molex is 12V which is what you need for most of the LEDs. I use SATA-Molex power connectors and chop off the SATA power end. That leaves you with a connector with the wires hanging off that you can then wire up to your Lights. You can also power your Fans off the PC Power supply also. If you buy PC case fans they will have the Molex connector on the end already so very easy to plug in.

Macca

For sure - you'd be best to either drop me an email or phone me and have a chat. Just look up my website for contact info. :)

Cheers,

Chris