State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

OK Who is GameDude?

Introduction time...

My real name is Dorian... Dozza if you want... I am used to many other names as well as its so unusual and often gets changed (darren for example) I am used to it.

Ever since I was a kid and pumped 20c into an original Space Invaders at my local woolworths I have been hooked on electronics and arcades.
    I spent much of my youth chasing arcades and riding bikes for many suburbs just to play the likes of Final Fight at the local fish n chips.
    I started at the flea markets dabling in anything computer or game related and have since progressed from the little rochedale store to where we are today. PC hardware has mostly taken over in the past few years and I have had an itch I could never scratch called arcade gaming...
    Over the years I collected a few bits and read many forums, tech logs and restorations and have learned quited a bit but nowhere near everything as for starters most of this was big when I was little!..

Anyway that leads to today where I have started to scratch my itch... As a hobby of sorts I have started a small arcade sideline to my main PC business... I collect old games machines, repair game PCB's for fun and relaxation.
    I also have new arcade cabinets and parts available for arcade machines but not pinball.. thats not my area and there are plenty of guys who know way more than me on that type of machine...... my fields are video based arcade games.

Currently on offer I have a selection of parts and cabinets along with the games both new and old - I can carry out repairs, upgrades and general service on most PCB from the 80's and early 90's...
    Check out my website www.gamedude.com.au/arcade

I will be doing special prices for AA members as well from time to time so keep an eye out when I post..

Anyway I would also like to show a few pictures, later I will post progress pictures of machines I have collected over the years as well....

Here we have my "tinker room" I play here when I can, almost all my tools are here.. note the TV/Arcade monitor. I will show the build of that in another thread soon.

To the right I have a desolder station, in the middle note my converted battle station.

Rework station, My trusty fluke 9010A, there is also a notebook for EEPROM and work relating to fluke scripts.

My paint stripper, a must for those multi-layer PITA PC motherboards

Some of our flat screen 29" machines in action....

Some of our older LS-Sound machines still going strong after a year on display (hmmm time to sell them soon I think)

Ummm... More showroom cabinets running....

I welcome any comments, feel free to post here about any arcade items we sell...
    Always interested in Retro and Current gaming

https://www.gamedude.com.au

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Good looking toys in there!
    Site looks good, hope it works out for you Dorian.

Regards,
    Brendan

State
    Sunshine Coast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there is a bench under their somewhere ?
    dont forget to empty your bladder before you vist his shop (it fills up while you wait)

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    I've known Doz personally for quite some years now, and known of him long before then. I was buying accessories for my far-east import console gear from him some 14 years ago when nobody else in Australia even knew what I was talking about.

What a lot of people here and around the net don't realise is just how much of a big kid he is at heart. This guy has been into electronic gaming since there was electronic gaming to be into. And unlike some, he's not biased to any one system. If it takes a current, he's in there with a soldering iron having a look at how it ticks. Consoles, arcades, pins - nothing phases him.

I see a lot of guys out there who treat gear with no respect. They butcher hardware up and Frankenstein systems together doing more damage than repair. I've seen Doz spend WEEKS trawling Brisbane, the Gold and Sunshine coasts and even out west to find parts to fix equipment rather than take the easy route and just destroy some other board for parts. It really is a testament to the man's work to see just how careful and patient he is with this gear. I've not seen anyone like him before, and I doubt I'll ever see it again.

Doz is the self-made man. He started with nothing and worked his arse off to get where he is today. His personal collection of gaming gear that most will never see is amazing to say the least. But you'll never see him boast or brag about it. Most won't even hear of it at all. But every single piece of it was painstakingly tracked down, and if needed restored. The pictures you see above don't even begin to cover the cool stuff, but again he'll never brag about it or get all big headed.

If any of you are at his shop, take 5 minutes to have a chat to the guy. Folks on these forums always seem extremely anti-commercial, but you need to realise that behind "GameDude" is just a gamer geek guy like the rest of us who loves a game or two and a friendly chat about arcades, consoles, pins, monitors or whatever tech you're in love with. Take the time to get to know the guy, and you'll find it richly rewarding.

That's enough man-loving from me. Doz has my respect for all the right reasons. For those that don't know him, take the time to say g'day and you'll find a good hearted gamer under that brash exterior.

State
    Parkinson (Brisbane)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Let me see, maybe Dorian remembers me from C-64 swap meets at Springwood high

State
    East Vic Park, WA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    Hey Dorian - I notice you have a 'converted' Battlestation II there in one or two of your photos. Converted to what, exactly?

Nice looking playroom, by the way. Something many of us dream of.

best

jon
    Wish List : Nugent, World Cup 78, Joker Poker, Silverball Mania, Cosmic Princess.

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
    Hey Dorian - I notice you have a 'converted' Battlestation II there in one or two of your photos. Converted to what, exactly?

Nice looking playroom, by the way. Something many of us dream of.

best

jon
    I use the 25pin port on the back to connect all JAMMA functions via my JAMMA loom to the test boards.

The TV/Monitor has the chassis and 550watt PSU and speaker built into it, all JAMMA related cable for power and video/sound goes there, as the JAMMA harness snakes its way to the front its joined by the rest from the battle station.

The battle station in my opinion is THE BEST controller to use for testing as most buttons are there already, I have two and this one has had some extra buttons inserted for test, service and coin functions.

State
    East Vic Park, WA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    You don't perform conversions on these controllers for other do you? I'm eyeing a Battlestation to have converted to use on a Neo Geo consolized PCB for home use (outside of a Cab). As I have zero technical nouse, I'm looking....

jon
    Wish List : Nugent, World Cup 78, Joker Poker, Silverball Mania, Cosmic Princess.

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
    You don't perform conversions on these controllers for other do you? I'm eyeing a Battlestation to have converted to use on a Neo Geo consolized PCB for home use (outside of a Cab). As I have zero technical nouse, I'm looking....

jon
    I dont see why not, You could also just use two proper NEO-GEO controls from the home units, they were pretty good and should just plug into your arcade PCB.

State
    East Vic Park, WA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GameDude View Post
    I dont see why not....
    So I could send you one, my expenses of course, and have you do the conversion (paid for)? I can't even hold a soldering iron properly!

jon

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information