Thread: CRT_emudriver help

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namastepat View Post
    Thanks @Thamiel, it appears as though there are multiple schools of thought on this, even from Calamity himself. I will stick with XP for now, because the major issue raised appears to be due to incompatibility of modern motherboards with XP. I have not yet encountered that problem on my CRT_EMU builds, mainly because I am not using anything SUPER modern. It doesn't say anything specific about a performance boost in MAME, but one could surmise that better hardware compatibility could lead to a performance boost in Win7. I'll do a Win7 build next time I upgrade my MAME PC and see how it goes.
    Yeah I wouldn't bother redoing things if you have a working setup you're satisfied with. I'm using new hardware and a couple other emulators aside from MAME so Win7 made sense on that account. Truth be told the only driver I noticed a performance improvement on was the cv1k stuff.

Next box you do though definitely give Win7 a crack, it's not that much harder than XP at all and can give you a lot more options. Additionally, groovymame development is mostly centred around it with Calamity hinting at some big changes soon.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamiel View Post
    The only driver I noticed a performance improvement on was the cv1k stuff.
    That is the answer there .....
    I setup crt_emudrivers & groovy mame on a i3 win7 hd4650 for the first time last week ,in half a day , done. I just have to work out a custom resolution for tgm3 and it will be sweet.

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Yeah its quite easy, didn't even have to make any custom resolutions when using Win7 and super resolutions. Absolutely brilliant.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    it really is . You just have to follow the steps carefully.
    I think with my setup switchres is allocating the wrong res for ttx tetris.
    SSFIV etc run sweet in 640x480. I read somewhere 640 x 360 is a widescreen res and I think that's what it really wants.Cos when it load's i get a "cant switch to fullscreen" prompt.
    @Thamiel Do you know of an app or method to find out exactly what res a specific game is trying to run in ?

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Run groovymame through command line, should tell you.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    All my mame is fine , pixel perfect
    Tetris is the only taito type x game that I'm having slight "issue" with .
    Street fighter iv is perfect .

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1457 Post(s)
    I could never, ever get Taito Type X to run on my WinXP GroovyMAME machine. Whenever I ran the exe it would just crash. Or, if it didn't crash, I would load a game and I would hear sound but just get a black screen. I never much looked into it, but I would LOVE to get Taito Type X running in 15khz on my vertical SHMUP cabinet, so if anyone knows a good guide for that, send it my way.

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Oh it's type x! Try using the config and see if it has a low res (640x480) mode. All my type x stuff is running very well, it's demul I'm going to get rid of. Shits a nightmare.

State
    WA
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    278 Post(s)
    The only thing tempting me into a Win7/CRT EmuDriver setup are the newer versions of demul (NAOMI emulation) which are only DX10 I believe.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    Demul is , when I buy my i5 cpu soon I'm going to have a good bash at it . Cos it struggles with an i3 and 4gb ram ...

Thats whats spinning me out a little is that I know tetris should run in 640x480 ( low res monitor in config ). And when it runs it looks like it actually is 640x480 ,just windowed ( alt tab doesnt do anything either ).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information