Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Help! Customs Seized My Sammy Extreme Hunting Plastic Gun :(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And this is the new world we live in :rolleyes

Funny how I would wander the streets as a kid with my BB gun and no one batted an eyelid, or the kids in army cadets with their 303's flung over their shoulder waiting at Blacktown railway station of an afternoon, again, no one concerned.

Now pink, blue or polka dot (insert any colour) guns on video games are considered illegal. How could this stupidity be allowed to happen FFS?

My information. Directly from vicpol. Is that this is not true and Steve is right. In vic they look on “permanently attached” very kindly

I asked them about that specifically. The reply was that it does not matter if it is attached to a cabinet or not. The shape and form of the gun itself is what counts. Sounds like they are a bit more reasonable in Victoria.

You need to send this information to your local member of parliament, I know it seems like they dont give a stuff, but it is the first step for the idiots to see that the rules are stupid.

I think I may just do that. Not really sure what else can be done!

I remember someone telling me they imported these via qld address as there laws are more relaxed.. Not sure how true is or if still viable

Also sounds like it is much simpler for folks in Queensland than NSW. I will look into ACT legislation out of interest...

You need to send this information to your local member of parliament, I know it seems like they dont give a stuff, but it is the first step for the idiots to see that the rules are stupid.

I'd be trying The Fishes And Shooters Party or The Country Party myself. The other muppets all sing from the same hymn sheet in the quest of arse licking the UN and the inner city green vote and never achieve anything anyway other than more "inquires".

• 2 weeks later...
Ordered a new sega/sammy shotgun for my extreme hunting machine, sent via Fedex.

Customs have seized it saying I need a permit to import it. Seems not only I need a permit but a frickin gun license? WTF!! It's a plastic orange gun with a giant cable coming out of it.

Anyone have any ideas of how I can get around this? Dont want $200U.S to be destroyed :(

Dave

Dave i wouldnt stress too much mate, ive had the same happen to me and i am a Police Officer.

I purchased 2 used American Laser Games 3DO Gameguns, Customs seized them because the sender wrote "Gameguns" on the description instead of "video game controller".

Not to say that will stop these being seized, but Boarderforce told me that was the likely reason.

Ive brought in loads of lightguns and only one issue, apart from the inconvenience it wasnt a drama.

What i had to do was fill out and submit applications dor a "Permit to aquire" and also "Import permit"

Im in Queensland so it may be different forms but the outcome should be simular. I didnt even have those forms at work, and no one from the rank of Inspector down had any clue about it either, they all thought it was a load of horse shit that this even happened, so did Boarder force officers when i opened the package to show them. We had a great chat about retro gaming though.

Boarder force also told me a lady had a Nerf gun seized by customs and this thing looked NOTHING like a gun!!

Its funny how our law is so tough it has to seize toy guns, cant see anyone getting away with holding up a bank with a Buck Hunter gun, or a Time Crisis gun, not hard to make a replica shotgun with bits from Bunnings, if you are that desperate or go to the toy section of most major retailers, its hard to understand why they will seize it over the wording on a package, when you can buy a toy from a toy shop with the word Gun on it and it would have been imported by the container load?.

When we were traveling around Europe, my son bought a BB gun from one of the street markets, it had no real resemblance to a real gun and was white, we told him he would have to throw it away when we jumped on another plane, but unknown to us, he hid it in his luggage, after 3 different plane flights across Europe he produced this gun, he was only 11 at the time so no real concept or understanding that you cant take these things on a plane .

So after 3 airport checks we were not going to try the 4th as we were heading home, so in the bin it went in Austria :D.

Its funny how our law is so tough it has to seize toy guns, cant see anyone getting away with holding up a bank with a Buck Hunter gun, or a Time Crisis gun, not hard to make a replica shotgun with bits from Bunnings, if you are that desperate or go to the toy section of most major retailers, its hard to understand why they will seize it over the wording on a package, when you can buy a toy from a toy shop with the word Gun on it and it would have been imported by the container load?.

When we were traveling around Europe, my son bought a BB gun from one of the street markets, it had no real resemblance to a real gun and was white, we told him he would have to throw it away when we jumped on another plane, but unknown to us, he hid it in his luggage, after 3 different plane flights across Europe he produced this gun, he was only 11 at the time so no real concept or understanding that you cant take these things on a plane .

So after 3 airport checks we were not going to try the 4th as we were heading home, so in the bin it went in Austria :D.

Its nothing short of a joke mate and everyone at work as well as those i spoke with from weapons licencing as well as Boarder Force completely agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

Well. Just had an enlightening chat to the firearms registry.

Every arcade game which uses a gun-shaped controller is illegal in NSW unless the owner of it has a permit and the controllers are locked in storage when not in use. If it even REMOTELY resembles a firearm (regardless of colour or material) it is determined to be an imitation and is therefore subject to the controls of the legislation. So every Buck Hunter and Time Crisis cab you see - yep - they've got illegal firearms attached to them.

Importing is only half the problem as being allowed to own the thing is more difficult. You need a permit to own one of these in NSW. The only way people get these into the country are when they are labelled as arcade games and they don't get thoroughly checked by customs.

So at this point I either have to get an imitation firearm permit (not easy to get even according to the firearms registrar) or change the law. Any of us who have these games at home would be arrested immediately if a cop saw them (and they decided to apply the law as it is written). I'm thinking trying to get the law changed is the only option, but don't like my chances.

I'm thinking of some hilarious publicity stunts to raise awareness... like going to a gun club with it and trying to shoot some clay pigeons, calling management of the largest arcades in NSW and informing them of their illegal activities, or maybe walking past a gun game in an arcade and shouting HE'S GOT A GUN!

The last one is a bridge too far but you get the point. Utterly ridiculous how restrictive this legislation is. If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear some suggestions.

I can pretty much assure you that you wont be arrested for it and no way in hell any Police Officer with any sense would even look twice at it.

Id go so far as to suggest they wont even know youre "apparently" committing an offence, because unless i went through this myself, id have had no clue, and neither would anyone else at work that ive spoken to about it.

Im pretty sure any other Police Officers on here will agree completely with that, regardless of what state theyre in.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately this is not the case. It doesn't matter whether the gun is attached to a cabinet or even superglued to the floor. All the same in the eyes of the legislation.

I reckon youre gonna find there has been a misinterpretation of that legislation on the part of whoever you spoke with.

• 2 weeks later...

So in a month or so I need two Aimtrak light guns for my new setup, ordered from Ultimarc UK. Any suggestions .. do i need to find someone in QLD ?

Some of the links posted previously in this thread dont exist / broken url's etc. If anyone has updated links to right customs forms or otherwise that would be ideal.

So in a month or so I need two Aimtrak light guns for my new setup, ordered from Ultimarc UK. Any suggestions .. do i need to find someone in QLD ?

Some of the links posted previously in this thread dont exist / broken url's etc. If anyone has updated links to right customs forms or otherwise that would be ideal.

Ive only got the QPS ones mate but i can have a look and see if i can find you the correct NSW forms tomorrow when im at work.

I just had a pink Justifier arrive yesterday from Japan, over 10 days early, customs had opened it and passed it straight through.

Description said "used game controller, no battery".

Every arcade game which uses a gun-shaped controller is illegal in NSW unless the owner of it has a permit and the controllers are locked in storage when not in use. If it even REMOTELY resembles a firearm (regardless of colour or material) it is determined to be an imitation and is therefore subject to the controls of the legislation. So every Buck Hunter and Time Crisis cab you see - yep - they've got illegal firearms attached to them.

Glad I'm in Victoria-

DSC_0872.thumb.jpg.89b5f09e831a199543d3a9590c0632c7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Importing is only half the problem as being allowed to own the thing is more difficult. You need a permit to own one of these in NSW. The only way people get these into the country are when they are labelled as arcade games and they don't get thoroughly checked by customs.

So at this point I either have to get an imitation firearm permit (not easy to get even according to the firearms registrar) or change the law. Any of us who have these games at home would be arrested immediately if a cop saw them (and they decided to apply the law as it is written). I'm thinking trying to get the law changed is the only option, but don't like my chances.

I'm thinking of some hilarious publicity stunts to raise awareness... like going to a gun club with it and trying to shoot some clay pigeons, calling management of the largest arcades in NSW and informing them of their illegal activities, or maybe walking past a gun game in an arcade and shouting HE'S GOT A GUN!

The last one is a bridge too far but you get the point. Utterly ridiculous how restrictive this legislation is. If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear some suggestions.

I just saw this thread....

I went through customs drama last year when I tried getting a brand new Namco gun from arcadespartparts.com. I purchased the NAMED version of the gun, but they upgraded me to an original NAMCO for free - the Pink version.

Once it got to border security, I received a letter from customs saying unless I had a license to import, then it will have to be forfeited to the Commonwealth. I tried pleading my case, but they didn't want to have a bar of it.

It was an expensive lesson. I have since found a couple of old guns on eBay which I pretty much reconditioned so they're brand new - the shells are new, the solenoid is new. Cleaned and greased the rails, so it's pretty much brand new and it didn't cost me 500 like the ones on Zax - the shells and solenoid cost about 150 per gun.

Long story short - unless you have the proper licenses to import in your state, you're best to ask someone else to import it to AU and then ship locally.