Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

N64 thumbstick replacements

• 3 weeks later...

I've replaced about 5 or 6 of mine with hyperkin replacement sticks.

the replacement sticks are quite nice, costly if you go the ebay route.

For controllers that dont need stick replacement, I usually take them apart and grease the stick mechanics to stop the plastic from grinding down.

I've only once gotten a original N64 controller that had no grinding to the stock thumb stick.

The only important advice needed about the replacement thumb sticks is unlike the original, the replacement types generally cant be taken apart to grease. they tend to contain different axis mechanics that is far more difficult to put back together (think ps3 assembly controller difficulty)

• 4 months later...

I've fixed a couple by replacing these parts inside them

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/N64-Controller-Gears-Nintendo-64-New-Aftermarket-Repair-/331681594658?hash=item4d39c37d22:g:gCcAAOSw9mFWHmyD

Its more work that replacing the entire unit, but i found the replacement thumbstick units are cheaply made and don't last very long. This way you have the original thumbstick restored back to like new.

• 4 months later...
I've fixed a couple by replacing these parts inside them

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/N64-Controller-Gears-Nintendo-64-New-Aftermarket-Repair-/331681594658?hash=item4d39c37d22:g:gCcAAOSw9mFWHmyD

Its more work that replacing the entire unit, but i found the replacement thumbstick units are cheaply made and don't last very long. This way you have the original thumbstick restored back to like new.

A little while ago I spend thousands trying to make replacements similar to these. It was not an easy process and in the end I was not very happy with the quality so I have my doubts about these. I've just bought a set however so I can see if they are better, worse or the same as the prototypes I have (",)

• 1 year later...

There's a Kickstarter project underway since early 2016, the initial goal being to create replacement sticks and bowls. Just google ENKKO.

It's since evolved to include the gears and as a result has been delayed numerous times. The upside is that this guy cares alot about creating the best replacements possible. I believe these will end up being commercially available.

There's also a guy called SteelSticks64. Check him out on Twitter. He's doing sticks and bowls. They are nice to look at, but he's doing just the stick and bowl. So they won't wear out, but also won't solve the problem of disintegrating gears. I think these may end up being extremely limited. I'm early adopter number 101 since at least a year ago and still waiting for my chance to get some.

TL;DR - if you want quality, hold on until ENKKO comes good.

I hate to be a debbie downer, but producing those parts is really tricky. Kickstarter is a terrible way to do something like this because there's a good chance they will be wasting peoples money. That's why I just did it on my lonesome and fronted the money myself- I put my money where my mouth was! Expensive lesson, but I'm glad I gave it a go. At least I have this bitching video of one of the 3D CAD drawings to show for it :D

I do hope someone is able to do these one day. And I wish them the best of luck. I know where I went wrong, and what I did ok so if anyone is ever serious about getting proper reproductions done they can feel free to pick my brains on my expeerience.

It's a pity Nintendo don't do them, or new controllers. Then you would know they are 100% accurate.

I've seen the steel guys parts on a Nintendo forum. He has the mad skills for sure! It's not an overall solution but it's something...

Don't worry, waiting 16 months is enough of a downer so I've lowered my expectations somewhat. That said, the Kickstarter goal was for stick and bowl only, he offered backers to get those last September or so, or hold out for the gears. He's been through various moulds, materials, changed suppliers, etc, so I'm sure it can't be too far off....

From memory, the only outstanding issue for ENKKO is the lower gears. Hopefully the new company supplying the moulds does a decent job.

Agree on the Nintendo thing, would be awesome if they just released some new and improved N64 controller.

That was part of the problem I had- accuracy with the gears. We went through three iterations, the second much better than the first. The third started to go backwards in quality again! That was another mistake. I was getting this done in Shenzhen. The factory was great and does all sorts of complicated medical equipment and car parts etc. If they couldn't do it, then no one can. But it would have been better if it was local and I could have a much better dialog with the guys. Even if need be jump in the car and go tallk to them. I just lost inertia with all the long distance to-ing and fro-ing. The tradeoff being that local would have cost at least twice as much. As it was the quote from my Shenzhen factory was for $5000 USD.