Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Anyone familiar with Moon Patrol Sound Board?

Gonzo

Question

Hello Everyone,

I am an owner of the green Moon Patrol Bootleg PCB and since then I am wondering about the explosion sound which is generated not by the AY 3-8910 's but by an extra circuit. From the past, and as represented by MAME, too, I am used to that punchy sound like represented in this clip

Moon Patrol 1982 Arcade gameplay:

Instead I get this rather bland and unfiltered Sound like represented in this clip

Moon Patrol arcade game PCB demonstration:

Now I am wondering if this is by design of the Bootleg Board or may be caused by a faulty cap perhaps?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Frank

After owning many bootleg boards over the years and not one original I though the sound was normal until I finally got a original and could hear and see the difference for myself. The original uses a MSM5205 while the bootleg a 74LS00 pokie free
, with a bit of work and the missing components you could modify it easy enough although I've never bothered myself.

Hi Lurch666,

I haven't heard from you for a long time. I also used the method you used to renovate the board. I completed the work a few months ago, but I couldn't post it right away because of various reasons. If I do it myself, it would be better, but I was afraid of ruining the board, so I asked a professional repair technician to do it.

Somehow, the jumper wire and socket on the back made it more concise. Of course, it is based on your method and the original circuit diagram. Certainly the rich drum sound produced by MSM5205 and 384 khz resonator is not comparable to before.

Thank you very much for motivating me to do the renovation.

I hope it will be helpful to many people as I am attaching the picture.

Have a good weekend. :)

BEFORE

DSCF6059.jpg

AFTER

DSCF6116.jpg

DSCF6114.jpg

I did consider doing it that way but didn't want to make it permanent in case something went wrong with it.

Yours does look better though.

Glad I was able to help someone because I get lots of help from these types of forums in fixing PCBs and wanted to return the favour a little.

And props to gonzo for starting this thread and leading me to know this was possible.

• Like 1

Hello, I'm coming over from KLOV.

I have a bootleg board and I noticed the wrong explosion sound straight away.

I'd very much like to do this mod.

I'm not a technician but my soldering skills are sufficient for this.

Galaga's way looks a bit less involved to do, but it doesn't have the step by step instructions. Would it be possible for one of you to write the instrucions down, so that anyone like me could follow it?

I managed to find the 5205 IC on Ebay, but I'm having trouble finding the oscillator. Does anyone know where I can source one?

Thank you, I ordered it.

I'm trying to work out what Galaga had done on this board, but it's not entirely clear.

In particular I'm wondering about the values of the resistors, the capacitor (which has been moved, but where exactly) and where the blue cables go. I put letters next to them.

Would one of you be kind enough to clarify what I need to do? Thank you! edit1.thumb.jpg.ed0c53cb5c1cfcd41502280c2f5317c1.jpg edit2.thumb.jpg.f471d04ca51b3c7bbc4400a267ebb49f.jpg