Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Price check - Popeye

ITmonkey

Hey all,

I would really welcome your input on pricing for a Bally Popeye saves the Earth.

I have found one locally that could be a dud or a gem in the rough.

The current owners obviously neglected it. It is in a shed covered in dust and even the playfield is pretty filthy.

That said, all the above is cosmetic.

It has the original 3D Bluto head (not the reissued flat one) and the playfield looks pretty good under the filth.

The skill shot rotating mechanism works.

Lights up well enough, no leakage from the batteries and surprisingly clean under the playfield and in the back box......I tend to think it is just suffering from the neglect of the owners who had it the last 18mths, not long term abuse.

Cabinet has fade (to be expected) but the only real damage is from the recent owners who caused a chip removing a leg. But the piece is still there, could be fixed down and it would be covered by the leg anyway.

Otherwise, I was surprised by the lack of wear to the cab - only the top of the backbox has a bit of aging and flaking paint.

Mechanically, it identifies no test errors and all the sounds etc seem fine. No issues with the display either.

The only issue is that it catches and sticks balls under the Bluto head (is that a ball lock?) but I have read that could just be one of 4 switches and even something as simple as the table not being set up correctly at +6.5 degrees.

Cleverly, I left my phone at home when I checked it out so I have to rely on a few provided photos to share with you. So sorry, no decent pf snaps.

Yes, I would say this is in average condition, but I am leaning towards the view that it just needs cleaning, servicing, rubbers etc and a few minor repairs

Views greatly appreciated.

Paul

33878189_photo1.thumb.jpg.d400c23e4265331c6ef09e12cf6424cd.jpg616251501_photo2.thumb.jpg.c67919e9446e4acfca51f3a750482911.jpg2107198926_photo3.thumb.jpg.7ef73dadb746c4a6d1562cbdf9f4cfdb.jpg1647158647_photo4.thumb.jpg.65056ab0d254ebc1f5ca9da93b08fca0.jpg2051031209_photo5.thumb.jpg.50656da2df48b1bd69ae50d84a3e82d2.jpg

For what it is worth, there is one on eBay in good nick that the seller has been trying to sell for a couple of months at $2500.

Not sure why there is so much hate out there for this title, lots of shots and the theme is well implemented. I'd love to play it.

I have found one locally that could be a dud or a gem in the rough.

In my opinion, all Popeye pins are duds!

But for $1.5k it could be a nice cheap DMD machine... I would never pay any more than that for a Popeye though.

Thanks for the advice all! And for the laffs! Yes, it was the most bizarre inspection visit ever....Carnie-town! I didn't manage to get the price as low as replay and woka suggested, but was happy with the deal. Now for the fix-up job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

And with thanks to Steve from Blast from the Past, Popeye has a new life.

PF was excellent under layers of filth (honestly, the thing looked like it had sat underwater)! New set of LEDs and away we go.

Worst widebody ever? Maybe.

Do the kids think its freakin' awesome to play? Yup.

Mission accomplished. :cool:

717748358_photo2.thumb.jpg.1b867bbb0b74628ed8091cb8e737e55b.jpg377573399_photo3.thumb.jpg.7f1cab6d939452b4a7961fb1cf5d6021.jpg1700848252_photo4.thumb.jpg.327fb6913bb05ade70e0df2d937af230.jpg937645012_photo1.thumb.jpg.6d0e1c20f265ce5ffbe5f21518440c65.jpg

I might be being harsh, but I would say it's worth about $100

About the same price as this one

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Blueline-Sand-Anchor-Kit-4-5Kg-50M.aspx?pid=213314#Recommendations

Hehe - bit harsh, but fair call. :)

I would never have gone for the Popeye but I couldnt bear to think of the thing rotting away in an over-sized garage (see original pics)

Plus - it was all for the kids.

As with any attempt to rate games between "a-list" and "z-list" (which this would be for many), its all about individual choice, preference and opportunity.

Whenever the time comes, I dont expect to "flip" this for a decent price....but if the kids manage to play the daylights out of it the mean-time, I'm a happy camper! :D