Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 24 - Game 6 ~ Hyper Olympic ~ [FINISHED]

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My dad had "Track and Field" on site at Rooty Hill RSL back in the 80's.

He tells us it used to take $500 plus a week! That's a lot of 20 cent coins!

Apparently, this was the highest earning machine he owned.

Yep this game was massively popular BITD at the Arcades I went to as well. We used to slap away but then used the pokie coin containers BITD. I don't gamble so don't know if they exist anymore but probably not...

The best guy I ever saw at this game was a yank, and he used index and middle fingers of each hand on the run buttons. Really fast twitch action and the m/s speed he could get up to on the graph was incredible.

Awesome Game !! I better submit scores for the others as i'll be playing this until my fingers bleed i think.

My dad had "Track and Field" on site at Rooty Hill RSL back in the 80's.

He tells us it used to take $500 plus a week! That's a lot of 20 cent coins!

Apparently, this was the highest earning machine he owned.

I would hate to think how much i pumped into one of these bitd.

Tool usage of any kind to assist in game control is not permitted, only bare skin on controls is allowed.

The buttons must be used for running, not the joystick. No cheating thanks everyone ... :)

GAME 6 ? On your marks ... get set ?

:026::026::026::026::026::026:

Oh snap, is an authentic 80's cigarette lighter considered a "tool" ... looks like fingers will bleed :)

Another question: Are we allowed to use a mouse? Its still buttons and button mashing, just more comfortable than the keyboard. Thanks @OOO

Arcade rules apply:

Buttons only for running ... mice buttons OK, but no mooses, no hippos, no geese, no joystick and definitely no chickens ... :117:

As per my post No.6:

Forcing a stop to the game is not in the spirit of the MGL or what was played previously. Yes there will be high scores, but that is what gaming is about.

And as per the game settings screenshot:

After Last Event Game Continues

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/HyperOlympicMGL24Settings_zpsmupcey52.png

Let's see how high the scores get playing how it was meant to be played ... :035:

Man o' man this is a workout. Sweating profusely!

Well this may be one of the first ever games to give you a great workout before the dancing games came out ... http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/belly-dance_zps72c920b4.gif

The more you play, the fitter you will be ... that can only be good for all AA members ... :laugh:

:)

Edited by OOO

Yep this game was massively popular BITD at the Arcades I went to as well. We used to slap away but then used the pokie coin containers BITD. I don't gamble so don't know if they exist anymore but probably not...

The best guy I ever saw at this game was a yank, and he used index and middle fingers of each hand on the run buttons. Really fast twitch action and the m/s speed he could get up to on the graph was incredible.

We had film canisters instead of pokies coin containers and taped them on :) Best not cheating dude I ever saw sort of strummed both run buttons with three fingers on each, hard to describe but he was fast. Not far behind him though is our mate Ace and Mr @wingtipvortex

Hmmmm, new rules eh??? skin on buttons only???? OK....I had better get myself some hand moisturiser then....a large tub :)

I might have posted this in the Hyper Olympics thread way back when but here goes.

I only saw 3 HO machines back in the day. The first one was in a fruit shop on the Hume Highway at Warwick Farm which had buttons but was a generic cabinet. The buttons were almost flat to the control panel and some of the locals used to tape two fingers together to play the game.

The second was also in a generic cabinet in what we call a deli in SA. Just think milk bar or corner shop. No liverwurst or bratwurst for sale here. This machine had a joystick and the unwritten rule was to quit at 1 million.

The 3rd was in Downtown in Hindley st in a generic cabinet with a joystick. Saw the same machine at another arcade later on.

I'm guessing SA operators were too lazy to sort out the correct control panel for this game and from memory according to someone on the original thread if you don't use buttons you're a filthy stinking cheat.

Signed

Filthy stinking cheat number 1. :lol

I'm guessing SA operators were too lazy to sort out the correct control panel for this game and from memory according to someone on the original thread if you don't use buttons you're a filthy stinking cheat.

/QUOTE]

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/106/1060788251.jpg

That pic is directly from the KLOV website, and unless I'm blind that is a joystick.

However, their description of the game says it is 3 buttons [Run 1-Action-Run 2]

OK you Hyper Olympic fans ... here is a top article on the game ... all the way from March 1984 ... here are the 1st 2 pages, I'll post page 3 tomorrow ... :)

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/TrackVG1_zpsoj7mejih.pnghttp://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/TrackVG2_zps3fbkutg9.png

Also I can tell you, this was a really big hit in Sydney BITD. MamePatrol mentioned $500 per week and I am not surprised.

2 player head to head, tools, jumpers over knuckles, taped fingers, too much static electricity, piano players, one finger technique, fist through the screen, I saw it all ... it's a good game ... enjoy!

:)

Was it me? did I denigrate the wagglers? everytime some maps buttons to a joystick God kills a kitten......so ummmmmm whatever I don't care :)

- - - Updated - - -

/QUOTE]

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/106/1060788251.jpg

That pic is directly from the KLOV website, and unless I'm blind that is a joystick.

However, their description of the game says it is 3 buttons [Run 1-Action-Run 2]

I would guess that is NOT an original cab, the shitty art behind the screen, no way, I doubt any were joystick original, why make a classic so easy to defeat?

Was it me? did I denigrate the wagglers? everytime some maps buttons to a joystick God kills a kitten......so ummmmmm whatever I don't care :)

It wasn't you although you did call us "knob wobblers" at the end of the thread. No kittens will be harmed this time around. :lol

Edit: Played 1 game before work. Cleared the 1st loop then crashed and burned on the 100M. 100% default settings, nothing remapped. I find it awkward with the jump/throw button in the middle but after last time I'm not moving anything. :p

Note my first long jump. Proof that this game is evil. :074:

hyprolym.png.1d6373d69a76287c28f6e5273cc4065c.png

hyprolym666.png.19862cfec5213ac3fa5b50fed598c349.png

Edited by RMacauley

I'm going to have to spend the next 2 weeks trying to high jump then I guess.

don't try and set the angle when you actually jump - just tap the jump button once so you jump straight up vertically when close to the bar. then adjust the angle to bring you over the bar. it's once of the easiest events once you get the hang of that.

The 3rd was in Downtown in Hindley st in a generic cabinet with a joystick. Saw the same machine at another arcade later on.

Ahhhh Downtown, memories.

Still have a token :)

1318126303_DownTown.jpg.ac00581b3feb708d577e0bb7d17d8bf6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Time to give this a go.

Man I wish I'd finish my cab, I'm sure it was easier standing up.

Oh, I knocked up a quick HyperSpin theme for it too. :cool:

http://www.myalbum.com/Photo-P6CFTWWV-D.jpg

Nice work, any chance of uploading to a dropbox account so we can pilfer it?