Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Small collection - Astro City's, consoles - Updated

Hey guys

Just putting up some progress of my latest acquisition - a 4 player LAI cab which was originally Turtles, but then converted to another game at some point.

I've been restoring it here and there and thought I'd put up some details and pics of progress so far

The good:

- It's green

- Original TMNT PCB still in there and works

- Cabinet, T-moulding and laminate in outstanding condition

- Still had the Purple MCA joystick

- Credit switches, service switches and wiring harnesses (including 3P 4P) all still present

- Monitor works - as good as a Kortek can at least :D I may look at a Nanao setup down the track if I want to fork out $$, but for now I'll just keep it original as it still works

Edit: Joey gave me some tips on getting the picture a lot better so ill be happy for a while i think :)

The bad:

- Wiring butchered in a few places due to conversion at some point. Lack of heat shrink on JAMMA pins, cut / rerouted wires etc.

- No credit PCB, credit display or coin mech

- No TMNT artwork

- Control panel had extra holes

I didn't have pics of it before pulling it all apart, but here is some progress:

Stripped down:

Disassembly1-2.thumb.jpg.1f6d4e8c0bf8fd0202a0a36adf076522.jpg

Disassembly2-2.thumb.jpg.25eb28e4b1290cc6cd8d78beb5856fe6.jpg

A lot of soldering, heat shrink and cable ties, as well as credit PCB reinstalled:

2125005269_Wiring1.thumb.jpg.9b29f056ebda65f03e9843a745149c8f.jpg

792485959_Wiring2.thumb.jpg.740691d17412597565201b6f701d0033.jpg

Credit display and coin mech sourced reinstalled:

CoinMech.thumb.jpg.623114c6f1c9df8fd394913e997b8668.jpg

A quick test (I ended up replacing the coin face plate globe and adjusted monitor too after this pic):

1946615145_CreditTest.thumb.jpg.18cb32b94fad72f4e590a9e011607eeb.jpg

Control panel - I wire brushed all the old crap and surface rust off. My father in law then welded up the extra holes and primed up both sides for protection:

CP3-2.jpg.67ab8e3b8b94733f4e306d764b273334.jpg

CP7.jpg.8757192fd38c9beee9a572b9fb65526c.jpg

Marquee (original LAI), joysticks and buttons which will go back in:

Marquee2.thumb.jpg.91a73260dd2c52fbca0cff1f737cb5ab.jpg

I've ordered a CPO and credit artwork from Mamepatrol. Once it arrives, the whole cabinet will then go back together and I'll post up a completion pic.

Thanks for looking

Edited by mrjamma

Nice work

Just a pointer.

Bare metal, should be etch primed first. It has the anti-corrisive additives and also promotes adhesion of primer / paint, which should be applied over this at least on the same day.

Primer itself is very hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture, so best to conver the primer with paint sooner rather than later.

Probably not so much of a concern for indoor use, but I shudder whenever I see a car in primer that has been left for months and months.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah theyre cool lights. Once u use up all the credit balance into a player, the lights go out

I only have two cabs now, astro 2 in one corner, tmnt in the other haha

Rest of the room has my tmnt toy collection and other random stuff

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Put a complete original LAI TMNT control panel on the machine (to match the original marquee) as I preferred it to a reproduction.

Also bought a 1989 manufactured Sunrise credit display to replace the brand new one I had put in above.

Theyre identical to the new ones which sunrise sell now - except the digit displays have a white backing colour to them instead of black.

Installed it to return it to original, and photo is in next post

20181206_191426.thumb.jpg.27d2fecfa68e7b1ba6e2828efaec691e.jpg

Edited by mrjamma

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Midway Galaga

When I was a kid my uncle got me into playing Galaga which was his favourite game. He ended up buying a copy for my NES and we played for many hours.

As an early teen when I first got into the arcade scene, I always adored the Midway Galaga cabinets, but never really thought much into tracking one down. I did have a generic cabs with 60 in 1, but didn't end up holding onto it.

A couple of years back he was in the market for a cab himself, but didn't end up working out. The process however, had them in my line of sight, and i decided to look into getting one for myself.

If you read through my TMNT posts, you'll see above everything else, I really love things in as original-condition as possible.

I wanted to find something in original shape, paint, artwork, in contrast to something repainted / fully restored with reproduction art. My thought process was that if I wanted perfection, I may as well do a scratch build.

I found a couple Midway Galaga's in the US, and was in talks with one guy there - but found a lot of them had strayed a fair bit from what they were originally. Some re-wired to JAMMA, or sides re-painted only, amongst other things.

Then a member on here had one which was a project. Needed a fair bit of TLC, but was original and mostly complete, so I jumped on it and here I am.

The good:

- Mostly complete

- All original - all build tags on wiring, build number stapled inside, Namco Bally plaque, engraved build number all matched

- Screen still worked

The bad:

- Missing rear door

- Bottom rear section paint had peeled (still had the original plastic protective sheet, but paint had stuck to it instead of the wood)

- Internal floor was chipboard and broken in

- Some swelling at the bottom, but not too serious

- T Molding shot

- Dead game board

- 12v issues on the original linear PSU

- Fluro tubes kept blowing

- No coin door lights

- Holes from lockbar

- Filthy and smelt bad

Pics

On arrival, the first thing I done was strip it down, and put all the parts in a spare room. A fair bit of cleaning was required to the parts and the cab itself

ArrivalStripped.thumb.jpg.c4ac46a29b0e09940b4cb61a6ecd7a65.jpg

PartsRoom.thumb.jpg.6377e47a86ace6c796e2f3063608e035.jpg

The cab appears to be MDF, but the floor they used from Midway was chipboard along with some Ikea style quick-assembly lugs and some glued in triangles. The silly thing is, all the weight of the cab sits on this floor as the wheels and leg levelers attach to it.

I ripped the destroyed floor out and put in a Plywood replacement with some reinforcement. I used the broken floor as a template, to ensure the wheels, levelers went in the same spots, as well as the PCB cage and power distribution in the same locations.

also used some clamps and some wood hardener on some concerned bottom edging of the side panels.

Before and After

Floor.thumb.jpeg.34b26500d3b97975bce217951f29c214.jpeg

FloorAfter.thumb.jpg.b17789c349862dcd8be870a657493e03.jpg

Next was the rear. I have a friend with an import Midway Galaga cab as well, and I used his rear door as a template to have an identical door made. This was down to every last measurement imaginable. This includes the 'rabbit' / tongue on the bottom of the door being routed the same as well.

I also sanded the bottom rear section, primed them both and painted them as close a match as I could possibly get to the original cabinet. Whilst it isn't original, it came up mint and is at the rear where you won't see it anyway.

I also put grilles in which were as close a match as possible to the original, and new locks.

Before and afters

RearDoor.thumb.jpg.8f25f6f58dfc3881138bd0bcb23370f5.jpg

RearBottom.thumb.jpg.1412aa4e57e9b055b135976b00f15cd8.jpg

RearComplete.thumb.jpg.31b09cb8c5151869d615250530122493.jpg

Next was the PSU. I wanted to retain the original Midway linear PSU, but also have a spare switcher with wiring adapter ready should I change my mind.

I rebuilt the PSU using a kit from Arcade Parts and Repair.

PSU1.thumb.jpg.6b115cb2b36475d44e1441bf4ef85ee4.jpg

Following this was the fluro light. I could have put a new fixture, or even LED - but again, I'd come this far keeping it true, so I found a new old stock ballast from the US to replace the one which was causing tubes to blow. After the below picture, I also put in a new starter. Now working spot on.

Light.thumb.jpg.5da98412932ef541aaf598889100768a.jpg

A pic of the internals reinstalled onto the new floor. I also obtained an original plastic locking 'guide' which was missing for the PSU.

You can also see the coin door lights working again - they were both just dead globes.

Before and After

InternalsBefore.thumb.jpg.b7b24a98fe2b0f5dcc6fde05581379e8.jpg

InternalsBAfter.thumb.jpg.43566b1ab5fada4fdaabc87e753a626e.jpg

The game PCB was repaired and now running great

TestFaultyPCB.thumb.jpg.d187bdf9bdff70adb52714bdd2b9398d.jpg

and here is a pic of how the cab came back together. I put new 'leather textured' T molding like original, and some cap bolts painted black to hide the lock bar holes.

I also installed a new Midway kick plate, from MikesArcade, and done a few touch ups here and there.

Far from perfect, but am very happy with the outcome overall.

Completed.thumb.jpg.ed9f12ae9433451875c8f19f18843ec3.jpg

Edited by mrjamma
  • Like 13

• 2 months later...

You did justice to that Galaga mate, well done you cant ask for much more than that it looks great.

EDIT: What a journey with the Astros and gotta love a TMNT cab outstanding!

-Tom

• Like 1

You did justice to that Galaga mate, well done you cant ask for much more than that it looks great.

EDIT: What a journey with the Astros and gotta love a TMNT cab outstanding!

-Tom

Thank you, much appreciated

Just adding a picture of them all together in the current games room.

m20210217_105250.thumb.jpg.8c6616f5f244714b5b01d52a37527ce2.jpg

• Like 6

• 9 months later...