Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Australian Pinball Expo Championship (Tournament)

Below are the details for the APE pinball Championship (IFPA points awarded).

Qualifying period is over one and a half days (see website schedule).

Qualify on 6 games (one EM, two SS & three DMD's) from a bank of twelve (2 EM's, 4 SS & 6 DMD's)

Registration is $10 (6 games) & Buy-ins are $5 for 3 games.

(All Access Pass holders will not need to pay the $10 registration fee).

Top 32 qualifiers go into the finals.

Top 16 finalists will get byes.

Finals will be bracket playoffs in a head to head format, single elimination.

Matches will be best of 5 (playing each era)

Finals start on Sunday at 10am sharp (if you don?t have a bye).

Finals registration is mandatory from 9am to 9:45am Sunday.

Top 24 take home cash.

Prize money:

1st - $1000 + trophy

2nd - $600 + trophy

3rd - $300 + trophy

4th - $150

5th to 8th - $75

9th to 16th - $50

17th to 24th - $25

Breakdown of finals bracketing etc.:

Players will be placed in a single elimination bracket based on the final seedings after

qualifying and all tie breakers are completed.

Players seeded 1 through 8 will receive 2 byes,

while players seeded 9 through 16 will receive 1 bye.

First round pairings are as follows:

17 vs. 32, 18 vs. 31, 19 vs. 30, 20 vs. 29,

21 vs. 28, 22 vs. 27, 23 vs. 26, 24 vs. 25

Second round pairings are as follows:

9 vs. 24/25 winner, 10 vs. 23/26 winner, 11 vs. 22/27 winner,

12 vs. 21/28 winner, 13 vs. 20/29, 14 vs. 19/30 winner,

15 vs. 18/31 winner, 16 vs. 17/32 winner

Third round pairings are as follows:

1 vs. 16/17/32, 2 vs. 15/18/31, 3 vs. 14/19/30,

4 vs. 13/20/29, 5 vs. 12/21/28, 6 vs. 11/22/27,

7 vs. 10/23/26, 8 vs. 9/24/25

First three rounds will be a best of 3 match where you have to play at least one machine from each era.

The following rounds after that will be a best of 5 match.

EM's will be single player games and SS games will be played on players one and three.

At the start of the match each player will choose one machine each from all eras and the first three games need to include the three eras.

The higher seeded player will have the choice of machine or position for the first game, with the loser of each subsequent game having choice of machine or order.

The match will alternate between machines chosen by each player.

The winner of the match advances to the next round, while the loser is eliminated.

Consolation matches will be run:

The 5th through 8th place match will be run similar to a qualifying session - one 4 player game randomly drawn from player pick

while the 3rd/4th place Consolation Final will be one 2 player game randomly drawn from player pick.

UPDATE: Below is the brackets for the qualifiers in the finals so you can see how they will be held.

840019841_ExpoFinalsBracket.thumb.jpg.a8d72503c4e18d1961f4ff50252755a0.jpg

Edited by Fair Dinkum Dan

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I'm waiting to hear back if there is still room for me to compete in this (and take part in the lock-in). I only found out about this whole event a few days ago, and I understand the mammoth task of organization means that E-Mails can't be responded to quickly.

I'm hoping that someone in the loop might be able to give me some info on spots still available, as I still have to book accomodation, and don't want to do that until I can have confirmation of the lock-in and competetion.

Any advice or assistance appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

Hi,

I'm waiting to hear back if there is still room for me to compete in this (and take part in the lock-in). I only found out about this whole event a few days ago, and I understand the mammoth task of organization means that E-Mails can't be responded to quickly.

I'm hoping that someone in the loop might be able to give me some info on spots still available, as I still have to book accomodation, and don't want to do that until I can have confirmation of the lock-in and competetion.

Any advice or assistance appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

I would email Dan about getting payment details and securing your place (even if you had already emailed)

:from the updated other thread:

PLEASE NOTE: The lock-ins are separate to the General Admission tickets and can only be purchased by buying the "All Access Pass" which will allow you to the whole event from Friday afternoon to close of business Sunday afternoon. Sorry, if this upsets a few people, but these lock-ins are limited to 300 people and once the All Access Pass is sold out, that will be it. These lock-ins were always intended for the pinball enthusiast who is passionate about pinball and would attend the whole event.

If you need to contact me, do not contact me through Aussie Arcade, but send me an email to dan@pinballexpo.com.au

This sounds awesome! Can't wait! Just wondering a bit about qualifying, by top 32 qualifiers, does it mean the 32 with the highest scores on the games? Also does qualifying run on every session up to the Sunday finals? Thanks again! :D

This sounds awesome! Can't wait! Just wondering a bit about qualifying, by top 32 qualifiers, does it mean the 32 with the highest scores on the games? Also does qualifying run on every session up to the Sunday finals? Thanks again! :D

My guess is that you would be ranked on your 6 games and given points for each game (like at PAPA) and have the whole one and a half days to keep buying in to better your scores.

And yes, top 32 go thru to Sunday.

Don't panic .... I'm sure you're good enough to get thru.

In bringing a big roll of $100 bills. I will qualify. Lol.

My guess is that you would be ranked on your 6 games and given points for each game (like at PAPA) and have the whole one and a half days to keep buying in to better your scores.

So I'm assuming its a comp based on how much money you have and not based on your talent, is that how it works ?

Not sure if anyone knows this but thought I'd throw it out there anyway;

So qualification runs over the Friday night and all Saturday? Presumably, scores are recorded for each player and are ranked on each machine against the other players scores? Your top 6 count toward your over all rank but you can play and try to get a score on everything as long as you keep paying (seeing as $5 gets you 3 games not 6).

If all my assumptions above are correct then it sounds like a good system. This will mean we won't be locked away for the majority of the expo and can get out and about if we feel our scores are good enough. I guess the only downside is that it would be very geared toward those with more disposable income. But personally I don't have a big issue with that.

PAPA gets around that by having each entry (of say 6 games) be a single over all rank so you can't just belt away on one machine all day and eventually get a good score. You either get the good scores in that entry or you try the whole 6 again.

I'm happy with either. Though, like Brett, I'll be rolling up with a few pineapples in tow and can see it being an expensive weekend!

So I'm assuming its a comp based on how much money you have and not based on your talent, is that how it works ?

Money wont help you if you have no talent. Yet with enough talent one entry and little money can get you through.

Its based on the papa format and i works fine there.look at the positives, one bad game is not going to cost you a spot in a final now as you can buy another ticket and have another go.

PAPA is $20 a round (I believe its 3 games) and qualifying goes for 3 days. Sure it could be cheaper but then the prizes would not be as good. For all those who have 20-200K pinball collections or those coming from interstate along with those paying $150 for a lock out ticket that only happens once a year I do not think that paying $100-$200 for comp will be that bigger deal. Top 32 go into the finals as well, so it might not cost much to qualify..

- - - Updated - - -

The real advantage of this format is that you can come and go as you please... You do not have to show up on a particular day and you do not have to compete for the entire day. Far more casual and less stressful than a normal comp. If you dont beat you previous score then just throw that game away and try again..

Sorry if I have missed it, but do I have to register or something, or do I just join up and pay some money when I turn up?

Total noob in the whole tournament thing :confused: but really keen to be involved in this.

Qualify on 6 games (one EM, two SS & three DMD's) from a bank of twelve (2 EM's, 4 SS & 6 DMD's)

Play anytime on fri or sat..

• Administrators

Play anytime on fri or sat..

Sounds like an interesting format.

Dave

Yes, thank you Richard (RGR) for helping me run this tournament and for your valued input in helping organise the format and suggestions for prizes I should offer. Your assistance in running this tournament including set up is appreciated and I look forward to your help.

Also a huge thank you to Edy for the massive help he has given me over many days on the phone and in emails working some of this stuff out and trying to make this tournament as challenging and exciting as possible for all who will compete. As always, you are a legend and I do appreciate the discussions we have, and the help you so freely give me to try and do the best for competitive pinball. Again, thank you for the offer to help as well.

Stay tuned for added information shortly on prizes and other stuff.

To all those who are thinking of competing, I understand that having an unlimited buy-in may give some people, with more money, a better chance at qualifying. As it has also been stated by other people, they would also have to be good players to start off with to get anywhere. This is my first expo with a tournament in this format and scale, and the risks I'm taking with the prize money being offered is no guarantee how things will unfold. So, I have to have some trade off. So, I hope most of you understand the huge undertaking I am faced, with supplying the games, trophies and prize monies to hopefully have a tournament that everyone can enter and enjoy, while trying to qualify and hopefully compete in the finals.

Future tournaments like this may have limited buy-ins, but for now, we have nothing else to compare off, so this is part of the reason for it being unlimited. Next year with changes to how IFPA tournaments are rated and points awarded, it will play a huge factor how tournaments should be structured to award the most points.

I hope to see as many of you there as possible caught up in the buzz that will be there all weekend. It is getting close and there is much information that will be released in the coming days and weeks now as it draws near.

Again, a big thank you to all those who have bought the All Access Pass and supported us and were eager to be a part of this historical event. For you guys, the $10 registration fee to enter the tournament, is waived. You will receive your first six games for qualifying in the tournament as part of the All Access Pass. I will be adding more information around the tournament shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I just have a query on the qualifying for the tournament. From what I've read players choose 6 machines (one EM, two SS & three DMD's) from the bank of twelve to qualify on. I assume this will mean that some machines have been chosen more than others at the end of qualifying. Does this mean the machines with more qualifying scores put up on them rank higher than those with less, even if you came in the same position?

For example if I came in 15th place on Fish Tales out of 45 players who played Fish Tales, will that 15th place be of equal or greater value in terms of rank points to say if I came 15th place on Medieval Madness where only 41 players played on Medieval Madness?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks very much.

Cheers

Jack

Edited by hutch
grammar

Hi Guys,

I just have a query on the qualifying for the tournament. From what I've read players choose 6 machines (one EM, two SS & three DMD's) from the bank of twelve to qualify on. I assume this will mean that some machines have been chosen more than others at the end of qualifying. Does this mean the machines with more qualifying scores put up on them rank higher than those with less, even if you came in the same position?

For example if I came in 15th place on Fish Tales out of 45 players who played Fish Tales, will that 15th place be of equal or greater value in terms of rank points to say if I came 15th place on Medieval Madness where only 41 players played on Medieval Madness?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks very much.

Cheers

Jack

My understanding from other IFPA tournaments i played is 15th place is the same value on all machines no matter how many played them. Hence playing the less popular machine could be an advantage.