Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ArcadeVGA and Jomac chassis sync issue

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1457 Post(s)

You could always forgo a ArcadeVGA for a cheap ATI card and CRT_EMU driver. Although, without a J-PAC, you would have no way of blocking the non 15khz signal to your monitor before the PC boots into windows and loads the 15khz driver.

EDIT: Oops, said J-PAC instead of AVGA Fixed.

State
    NSW, Corowa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Did consider that, but like the simplicity of the ArcadeVGA. It works with the chassis and I can't go wrong with pauses on boots, driver installations etc.

State
    NSW, Corowa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Aaaaaand my mate's PC was an Athlon. Not XP, 64 etc., and original Athlon with 1999 written on it. Suffice to say it did not have PCIe. Maybe time for another WTB?

State
    NSW, Corowa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Ok 3 and a half years later I finally bit the bullet and bought a new ArcadeVGA. I've battled away today and can't get it to work. Once I played around with the monitor sync and position settings this is the best I could get it to look -

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yZnYCRE7TmDXxmhYA (hopefully the link will work)

I re-checked everything. I pulled the chassis off to double-check Joey's comments - the rails on the chassis are connected fine. There is continuity to all pin plugs but granted I did not check resistance.
    I tried the new ArcadeVGA on 2 PCs and using HDMI to a monitor. It functions.

Honestly I'm at wit's end. I'm going to shout out to a local maker's group to see if anyone has an arcade board. Is there anyone in the Albury Wodonga region who might be able to help out?
    Alternatively should I just cut all the wiring and re-terminate? I don't know what else it could be and I'm getting to the point where I might have to sell it off for parts. It'd pain me to do it, the MAME's was one of my life's spoils.

State
    Redlands QLD
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)
    Yes it would be good to try a JAMMA game board to see if the monitor is ok. Also would be good to plug in your mame setup into another monitor to see what happens too. Hopefully there is someone in your area to help out.

State
    NSW, Corowa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Just noticed this on one of the caps on the chassis board, does this look normal?
    IMG_20181111_171450.jpg
    Would love to hear a take from Jomac. I can't find anyone locally with a board to test it with but I've tried it with two ArcadeVGAs. Might need to send it back to WA.

State
    Perth WA
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    Are you referring to glue around the cap ? it's to stop people knocking them off or vibration issues.

I think send it over it will only take a minute to test for any sync issue.

State
    NSW, Corowa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Thanks Joey, figured that but wanted to confirm. I'll wire up a new VGA plug as one last resort and of that fails I'll box it up. I just can resort to playing Bubble Bobble and R-Type on an LCD. A

State
    NSW, Corowa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Some positive feedback (again) - I got a call today from Jomac who received my chassis. There was a blown chip on it and was repaired under warranty I assume. Only cost was postage back home.
    Thanks again, great service and happy the fault was found.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information