Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

pre-building tips

heathwithnoteeth

Question

hi all...

i am currently sourcing bits and pieces for my virtual pin unit.

i am in a quandary on what lcd's to buy.... :confused:

i will be building a williams standard cab, so what tv (currently on the market) would be an economical option? need opinions on the playfield and backbox.

also i have seen a 17mm ply at bunnings with a film coating that is cheaper than the normal stuff (i think it is for constructing formwork) is that a usuable option for the cabinet? and if i roughen up the surface with some coarse grit, would vinyl overlay stick to it?

hope i have posted this in the right place...

thanks in advance

4 answers to this question

• Administrators

Unfortunately I cannot offer advice related directly to the question as:

a) I have zero experience with the wood type he is asking about and have never used vinyl artwork

b) I built a minipin and used PC LCD monitors not TV's

Cheers,

Brad

I missed seeing this otherwise i would have replied sooner!

TVs change all the time with new models coming out constantly, so it's difficult to suggest one particular unit that "everyone" uses that is perfect for the job.

The ideal situation, to make life easiest, is to find a TV that will fit the internal width of your cabinet without having to de-case it. A lot of newer TVs have very narrow bezels and you might just find one that you can do this with.

Go LED rather than LCD as they tend to have tinner frames around the edges due to the way their backlighting works. A very rough rule of thumb for a standard width cabinet is that a 39" LED will fit without removing its case and so will SOME 40" LEDs, but anything larger will not. Once you know exactly what width you have to work with, arm yourself with an accurate tape measure and head off to your local JB Hifi and do some measuring until you find a couple of models that look like they will fit.

Once you've done that, test them to ensure they remember their power state i.e. when they are turned off at the wall, check that they will turn back on FULLY when they are turn back on at the wall AND that they remember what mode they were in. This is necessary so you can plug all your powered components into a single powerboard so everything turns on and off with a single switch.

The backglass monitor depends on whether you want to go 2 screen or 3 screen, so a suggestion there is difficult without more info.

Feel free to call me if you wish and I'll be able to suggest a few alternatives based on what you're wanting to achieve. I can also help with whatever buttons, plunger, interface etc you may require.

Cheers, Chris

0401 845 726