Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 23 - Scoreboard [8 of 8 Games Completed]

Yes, it's been a while! Looks like OOO is doing a top job here. Going to try and get my gaming mojo back on, and getting back on AA is a good start!

Yeah matey, OOO has taken it to the next level <boom tish>, some really good and dedicated players now and the usual MGL banter. Good times!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is the really uncommon games won't get into the MGL as it is highly unlikely two or more people will nominate the same uncommon games.

Yep, and this issue still needs correcting IMHO, let me try yet another suggestion, I know that we don't want a comp full of games that might well be uncommon for good reason as they are crap, but to ignore them all due to others being more popular and having two or more nominations means we miss out on the occasional gem and that MGL players don't get the buzz of sharing their personal rare favs with everyone.

Sooooooo........how about we (and I know I have suggested very similar to this before) split the Noms into normal and special, so if we were going to have 5 noms instead we could have 4 noms and 1 special nom. (or 6 and 2 whatever) The normal noms are for popular games and the games with two or more noms would be picked first. The special noms would be pulled out at random draw, so if you were the only person to Nom a game it would still have a chance.

The 8 MGL Games could be made up of 6 normal and 2 special or whatever combo.

As it stands now every time I nominate I realise afterwards that I probably wasted my time with half my noms as they had SFA chance of getting in, no doubt others worked this out more quickly and don't even bother with lesser known games anymore.

Sooooooo........how about we (and I know I have suggested very similar to this before) split the Noms into normal and special, so if we were going to have 5 noms instead we could have 4 noms and 1 special nom. (or 6 and 2 whatever) The normal noms are for popular games and the games with two or more noms would be picked first. The special noms would be pulled out at random draw, so if you were the only person to Nom a game it would still have a chance.

So who and what would determine a "special nom"? What I see as special may not be special to others. I have previously nominated some games I never saw in arcades etc. does that make them special?

Most of the games I have nominated won't be picked either but you know what.... sometimes a game I pick does come out.

To all not just Rat

I don't get why before, during and after each MGL there are heaps of comments saying how this is such a good thing and that ooo is doing a great job and at the same time complain that there should be changes to ensure we get games that aren't popular into the competition. The last MGL was changed so that no game previously played in an MGL could be selected and for me it was the most boring of the MGL's I have played in. I don't mind having games come up that I haven't heard of etc. that is all part of it but I think we need to have a good look at what we have before we insist on changes that potentially could ruin it.

I personally thought the format where there were 4 popular and 4 unplayed games worked well but there was complaining about that too.... maybe I am out of touch with this and everyone complaining is right, but I am thankful that the MGL exists and for the work that ooo puts in organising it.

I don't think anybody is out of touch or out of line - we will all just have different opinions and that's fine and to be expected in a group of people with differing gaming interests, abilities, age, exposure to varying games, time available to play etc etc.

BUT I'm very happy let OOO run with what he wants. He is open and listens to suggestions, is happy to allow discussion on different ideas and tweaks along the way to try different things and it works very well with his guidance and enthusiasm. A big thanks to OOO.

The other thing I do after the comp is look down the list of noms and play some - exposes me to new unheard of gems and maybe I vote for them if a voting selection method comes up again, so in this way I get exposure to previously unknown games..

Yeah agreed that OOO is doing a great job and goes beyond with his posts, graphics and videos. I am sure no one has anything but full praise for all that, and yes I will still play regardless of the format for next noms.

Yes I am still exposed to some new games as it stands, I had heard of Flicky and probably even played it but after this MGL it's now an addition to my favorites list.

Blame DKong for me dragging this up again ;) his comment to WTV reminded of the issue at a time I had a spare min to post.

No need for any one to get excited I don't want it taken as if I am an unappreciative bagger, OOO has stated before he is fine with my/our little rants/discussions.

Perhaps I could sum mine up in a separate post and just link to it after each MGL that way I wouldn't have to type it each time and long term members wouldn't need to read it :)

• Administrators
As it stands now every time I nominate I realise afterwards that I probably wasted my time with half my noms as they had SFA chance of getting in, no doubt others worked this out more quickly and don't even bother with lesser known games anymore.

Speak for yourself. I continue to nominate the more obscure games and continue to be disappointed. I WILL persist however ;)

Brad

To everyone who posted interesting comments on this thread I'd like to say the MGL is for you guys to have fun, enjoy the games and the community.

One sci-fi concept which best explains the MGL to me comes to mind ...

I am a big fan of comedies and one sci-fi program I really enjoy is Red Dwarf.

They had one episode called 'Call Me Legion', where an alien life form existed only from the combined consciousness of the Red Dwarf crew. If all were unconscious or left the abode, the alien would not exist.

A quote from the episode which sticks in my mind is "Without you my friends", says Legion, "I am quite literally, nothing."

So the parody for me is that the MGL exists from your consciousness, your participation, your great comments and friendly competitive spirit. Without you, there is literally nothing.

Also, I read your posts and Rat is right, Another Rat is right, Barra is right, Firepower is right and anyone else about what games to play.

Why right is because that is your opinion and who am I to say you are wrong. One key is to try and satisfy as many people as possible and then make changes to satisfy other points of view where possible.

Never played before games have come up often in every MGL that I have been honoured to run and I have asked you what mix you want and then tried to satisfy others in different MGLs ...

MGL 19: Hidden favourite popular vote: 2 new games out of 8, participation 1054 posts

MGL 20: Hidden favourite popular vote: 2 new games out of 8, participation 1758 posts

MGL 21: Hidden favourite popular vote (guaranteed minimum 4 never played before): 5 new games out of 8, participation 951 posts

MGL 22: Hidden favourite popular vote: 1 new game out of 8, participation 1239 posts

MGL 23: Hidden favourite popular vote, never played before only: 8 new games out of 8, participation 947 posts

The more new games shows participation goes down markedly, however to satisfy a broad range of requests I have changed it up as you requested ...

Many want to play the popular games (some may argue better games) and have not played them before in a MGL where others have, so I changed it up as you requested ...

So MGL 24 will be different again ... see you next Monday ... :)

Yes, it's been a while! Going to try and get my gaming mojo back on, and getting back on AA is a good start!

It would be super to have you back in the MGL, as one of the founding members and let's see if you really can get your mojo back.

Edited by OOO

I asked MamePatrol to send me a pic of the finished MGL 23 winner's shirt, so I could see what it looked like when it was made ... we'll never see it otherwise ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/20150203_113428_zps8ab03773.jpg

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/20150203_113829_zps5e6b06da.jpg

Great workmanship and a terrific result, nice work MamePatrol ... :023:

Lucky Rob, it is on it's way to you too! :026:

Just got home from work to find a well stuffed letterbox. Figured I'd better go inside before trying the shirt on so I don't scare the locals or small furry animals. The photo in the Rampage thread wasn't that far from the truth. :lol

Looks amazing and most importantly fits over my oversized guts without a drama.

Thanks again to MamePatrol and OOO. I'll get a photo up sometime soon.

Cheers

Rob