Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Australian competition

Hi lads and ladettes.

In the states their is a annual event where people attend to test out their old retro skills in a competition to see who is the ultimate player in their chosen game.

I am wondering is their such a competition for retro gaming fans to put their skills to the test ? If not do people think that their is a market to have a competition where people can earn the title of Australias best player in their chosen game. Do people think their is a market for people wanting to fight out for the prize of Australians Best Galaga, Donkey Kong, twin cobra, Street fighter, Space Invaders, Pac man etc etc player.

Feedback would be great.

Are you talking about an on-site competition, IE where original machines are setup and a competition held ? If so I don't think there is one specifically for Retro Gaming, but I do think there is enough interest in Retro gaming that such a competition, if properly marketed and advertised, could prove popular. It would be pretty cool to see something aong those lines in OZ I think.

yeop thats exactly what I am talking about. Having people compete in classics such as Galada, Kong, Twin Cobra, Double Dragon etc etc - anything that people would like to compete in. I'm not convinced many like the idea as your the only one who has responded to the thread.

yeop thats exactly what I am talking about. Having people compete in classics such as Galada, Kong, Twin Cobra, Double Dragon etc etc - anything that people would like to compete in. I'm not convinced many like the idea as your the only one who has responded to the thread.

You'd possibly get more of a response in the general area of the forums, not everyone reads the MAME related stuff.

But to partly answer your question, late in 2013 I tried getting something off the ground: http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/62327-Brisbane-Mega-Arcade-Meet-2014

Not a lot of interest was shown :( I think if you put it together, did all the hard work then people would show up - but getting people to commit seems difficult. Not exactly sure why the arcade community is the way it is, the pinball guys seem to have meets all the time and are successful.

Which city did you try and get this organised in ?

- - - Updated - - -

Had a quick read - it seemed like you had two major obstacles - public interest and also a place. Seems allot of work for little reward unfortunately. If somebody is going to do it it needs to happen now as this era of gaming will lose popularity (albeit slowly) year after year. The lack of interest in this thread had now made my lukewarm to the idea as well as the fact that others have tried and not been successfull in doing something similar.

Which city did you try and get this organised in ?

- - - Updated - - -

Had a quick read - it seemed like you had two major obstacles - public interest and also a place. Seems allot of work for little reward unfortunately. If somebody is going to do it it needs to happen now as this era of gaming will lose popularity (albeit slowly) year after year. The lack of interest in this thread had now made my lukewarm to the idea as well as the fact that others have tried and not been successfull in doing something similar.

If you take a look at the guys who post pics of their games rooms, the really big collectors are into Pinball - and that is the problem with getting a decent arcade meet together. The pinball expo had in excess of 100 machines - provided by 3 guys (correct me if I'm wrong someone). There just doesn't seem to be anyone in Australia who collects arcade cabinets to the extent that the pinball guys do.

My very quick theory on this, is that Australia saw very few original arcade machines - being so far away, we just got the boards, maybe some decals and it was thrown into a LAI or Hankin cabinet (not that these weren't great cabs) - they just don't have the same appeal as a pinball machine which can not be faked.

The only hope for a true Australian arcade meet would be to piggy back off of a pinball meet I think. Get a heap of generic Jamma ready cabs, and have guys bring their original PCB's to the event.

Sort of off topic, but I still do think a Barcade would be highly successful in the right location in Australia - if I had the start up capital I'd give it a go, and then you'd have your place for arcade & pinball meets.

I think it would be too. I'd love having a drink(or lots) in such an enviroment!

john

Its definitely a common theme among us arcade and pinball players. We all love a drink or twelve! (or twenty :lol)

I think thats why they have been so successful over in the US....well from what I'm told anyway.

Nothing beats a few drinks and a few games.