Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Taito Space Invaders Part 2

Hi guys.

I got very lucky and picked up this unpolished gem a couple of weeks ago. It was listed in the wrong section of gumtree. Anyway its not perfect the side art has been faded by the sun it has a few scratches as well and it is starting to peel off at the back. The control panel is disgusting and cracked the joystick is sticking. To top it all off it does not work, well as if i though it would but it would have been nice and one less job to do. Anyway its a great project and I can't wait to get into it, I'll take a lot of photos to keep you all updated and to remind me of where everything goes.

This is what happened when I turned it on, at least the speaker works and I can see some neck glow.

1C3A5076.jpg.6970f26a21b5eda3faf3076b63a2ef1e.jpg1C3A5080.jpg.051d80eba9338ea6907248b6097c6b01.jpg1C3A5082.jpg.1b1db13191ae4a11d6d3cd3c31b349e4.jpg1C3A5084.jpg.5d865ffca3fcf130805770be584fed2f.jpg1C3A5085.jpg.61b9b57a8628b30afba70cb89fca1b80.jpg1C3A5093.jpg.6fc2365c6d4045915205f03b4933ddf2.jpg1C3A5097.jpg.a8ff534693280b704fbe1af8cfc83ea0.jpg 1C3A5070.jpg.4df44fa5b8db82fbc6f6347da58dea82.jpg1C3A5068.jpg.57e2136353186a39acee14ef13cb9f30.jpg1C3A5077.jpg.bb0da44227272d8452682a0f742b9087.jpg1C3A5079.jpg.9723148b2d103b0f039af1f2713d480e.jpg1C3A5092.jpg.1fd01758bd5422a4b94f4b208b563453.jpg1C3A5100.jpg.1c857fe3062fb7fdf6bf1d71169927f5.jpg

Any ideas guys, can this be saved, what would you do.

Edited by Czero

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys.

I got very lucky and picked up this unpolished gem a couple of weeks ago. It was listed in the wrong section of gumtree. Anyway its not perfect the side art has been faded by the sun it has a few scratches as well and it is starting to peel off at the back. The control panel is disgusting and cracked the joystick is sticking. To top it all off it does not work, well as if i though it would but it would have been nice and one less job to do. Anyway its a great project and I can't wait to get into it, I'll take a lot of photos to keep you all updated and to remind me of where everything goes.

This is what happened when I turned it on, at least the speaker works and I can see some neck glow.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=A3NvE0o5Dj8

Any ideas guys, can this be saved, what would you do.

Tried your link, get a "Video can't be found" message.

Of course the game can be saved. First thing I would do is disconnect the pcb and monitor. Check your fuses and power supply voltages. If that's ok, re-seat all socketed IC's on the pcb and clean the edge connector. Check the voltages at the pcb and adjust if required. Re-connect the monitor and try the game again.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Tried your link, get a "Video can't be found" message.

Of course the game can be saved. First thing I would do is disconnect the pcb and monitor. Check your fuses and power supply voltages. If that's ok, re-seat all socketed IC's on the pcb and clean the edge connector. Check the voltages at the pcb and adjust if required. Re-connect the monitor and try the game again.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Try the link now John it should work.

Try the link now John it should work.

Can't really tell much by the video. Go through the items I mentioned in my first reply.

Where in NSW are you (Might be able to lend a hand)?

Nice pick up by the way, would like one of these myself one day.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Aye!

I wouldn't trust the PSU until you've re parted it. Easy to do. Interesting two board set. @Johns-Arcade may know if they're ridgey in this cab. My feel is its out of a cocktail and it will have three non factory jumpers above the dip switches.

Great get.

Edited by aaablettt

It looks like one was similar to the Taito part 1 and the other was similar to the Miday. It would be interesting to find out which came first.

I do like it but my first thought is that it is not as pretty as the green lettered version-without seeing it lit up in situ, who can tell?. I wonder which one was released first?

Any progress?

Have you checked those voltages at the PSU? I'd start be pulling the game PCB connector off so that your sensitive game boards don't freak out if there are incorrect voltages floating around. Ground your black probe lead with an alligator clip and select 20vDC on your multi meter and poke the red probe lead into the back of the red leads that go into plug 'F'.

You'll need to have a solid 5v with adjustment. There's a pot on the top centre of the PSU which is used to make the correct adjustment.

Thanks actually I was a bit confused as to where to start I hopefully will have some time in the afternoon tomorrow to poke around, would you also advise disconnecting the monitor if so how do I do that.

Any progress?

Have you checked those voltages at the PSU? I'd start be pulling the game PCB connector off so that your sensitive game boards don't freak out if there are incorrect voltages floating around. Ground your black probe lead with an alligator clip and select 20vDC on your multi meter and poke the red probe lead into the back of the red leads that go into plug 'F'.

You'll need to have a solid 5v with adjustment. There's a pot on the top centre of the PSU which is used to make the correct adjustment.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

There is a 100v plug that sits just above your game pcb. It will/ should be labelled 'VIDEO". Wiggle that out of its socket but be careful, the plastic can be brittle. They're not easy to come by-it would be annoying if it broke. If you want to take the monitor out you will also need to trace the signal leads and disconnect them.

There is a 100v plug that sits just above your game pcb. It will/ should be labelled 'VIDEO". Wiggle that out of its socket but be careful, the plastic can be brittle. They're not easy to come by-it would be annoying if it broke. If you want to take the monitor out you will also need to trace the signal leads and disconnect them.

Thanks, this should keep me entertained tomorrow.

Has anyone ever tried to restore paint by using cutback and polish method. If so does it work or is the paint not that durable.

Edited by Czero

Its not paint, its a printed vinyl sticker.. It think they're renown for fading.

Replacing it with new vinyl is the only way to go I guess. I was thinking of masking off the other colors and spray painting the red, would that work.

Was the blue one screen printed on do you know.

Its not paint, its a printed vinyl sticker.. It think they're renown for fading.

The LAI cabs were stickers, the Taito cabs were screen printed.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, this should keep me entertained tomorrow.

Has anyone ever tried to restore paint by using cutback and polish method. If so does it work or is the paint not that durable.

Yes, I have had some success using automotive cut and polish. The only reason I suggested un-plugging the monitor was to make things a bit safer for you while checking other things in the cab.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Positive? Ok, mine appear to be screened onto vinyl....

No, I'm not 100% positive, but all the one I saw were screen printed and Czero's cab sure looks like a screen printed one to me. Is your cab made out of ply or particle board?

Regards,

Johns-Arcade

All three of mine are ply. One Jap (SI), two English labelled (1x SI, 1xSI2)..

Maybe I'm not analysing it closely enough but I did scrub the control panel on the bluey to get some black paint off once (trying to get back the original blue) and found that the paint lifted and left behind just white with no sign of wood grain.

This one is ply as well

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have had some success using automotive cut and polish. The only reason I suggested un-plugging the monitor was to make things a bit safer for you while checking other things in the cab.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Appreciate your advice John, I actually love the thought of spending a few hours just slowly chipping away at this project. I never imagined that doing work could bring this much joy and satisfaction. It actually takes me straight back to my childhood instantly and all the good time theses machines are associated with, it's like nothing else. It is very strange and quite powerful the association It is hot summer night riding my BMX it is train trips to discover new machines, it's the local milk bar with a bag of hot chips and a can of coke, with just the right amount of grease on the joystick to keep the blisters away. I think Space Invaders was it for me I was the right age and the technology was amazing, it just blew me away. I will do a test spot with the cut and polish tomorrow.

No, I'm not 100% positive, but all the one I saw were screen printed and Czero's cab sure looks like a screen printed one to me. Is your cab made out of ply or particle board?

Regards,

Johns-Arcade

My blue LAI looks like a sheet of blue vinyl. The artwork looks to be screen printed onto the vinyl and then the vinyl attached to the cab.

My blue LAI looks like a sheet of blue vinyl. The artwork looks to be screen printed onto the vinyl and then the vinyl attached to the cab.

Exactly, all the LAI cabs I saw were made of particle board with vinyl stickers. Is your cab made of particle board?

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.