Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

ATOM-15 ATI BIOS hack

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=64

New little tool that's appeared. It hacks the default mode of nearly any ATI card's BIOS to produce whatever resolution at boot you require (including 15/24/31 KHz modes).

It's based entirely on documentation provided by the open source ATI drivers. Once hacked and re-flashed, the card will work independently at boot time at the resolution you want, regardless of host OS. From there, it's up to the user to deal with their OS-side tools (tools like Soft15Khz or CRT_Emudriver in Windows, or GroovyArcade under Linux).

Great news for anyone who wants something to handle boot-time resolutions, but doesn't want/need to shell out the dollars for an ArcadeVGA. Again, this code is entirely based on open source documentation, and doesn't steal any of the hard work Ultimarc put into their ArcadeVGA product.

I've got a Neo Geo MAME cab I'm building currently, and I'll be testing this tool out. It currently runs GroovyArcade Linux, but the ATI card in the system boots at 31KHz. I have a J-Pac that intercepts the signal and line-doubles it (protecting the monitor from damage), but the signal is impossible to read in that format. I'm pretty keen to test this out.

Interesting, being a BIOS flash, there could be potential for dead cards here.

It won't. It's a BIOS hack, not a new image. You need to dump your existing BIOS, apply the hex-edit, and flash it back to the card.

It will be interesting to see if this turns out to be a better solution than CRT_EMU driver.

This is for boot-time resolutions only. You still need a driver within Windows/Linux to control modes.

This doesn't replace CRT_Emudriver, or even effect how it works at all. This only controls boot-time mode setting, and then drivers take over once the OS loads. You will still need CRT_Emudriver, Soft15KHz or similar tools to drive 15KHz modes when your operating system loads.

Sounds interesting. Who wants to be the guinea pig? Haha

Hopefully I'll have time to give it a whirl this week.

I've got an old generic LAI lowboy I've converted over with a new CP to be a Neo Geo MAME cab. It's got an ATI card inside with a J-Pac running GroovyArcade Linux. I'll hack the BIOS this week, and give it a crack.

I read up Calamity posting about this the other week, but decided to wait. Will be interesting to see how people go with it. I would need to see a few people having success and a good install tutorial before I tried.

• 2 weeks later...

No, what I think it means is that the new graphical bios screens won't show in 15k, therefore defeating the purpose of the mod for that particular pc.

I already have a jpac to filter frequencies, this tool would be useful to access the bios without attaching an another monitor but most of my machines are too new.

No, what I think it means is that the new graphical bios screens won't show in 15k, therefore defeating the purpose of the mod for that particular pc.

I already have a jpac to filter frequencies, this tool would be useful to access the bios without attaching an another monitor but most of my machines are too new.

I don't think that's what it means at all... it means the tool won't work on a PC with a UEFI...

The 'hack' has to be done on a PC with a BIOS..

BUT on second read, you may be right... but it doesn't say it WON'T work. It depends on the video mode used by the UEFI bios..

So maybe try it and see? Your UEFI may use a vesa mode...

It might do but from memory they are fairly hi res (probably 1024x768) which isn't possible even with interlace in 15k mode. Therefore I'll probably end up with a blank screen as per the docs.

I have one core2 era machine to do it to. If I get motivated I might swap the flashed card around to see if any of my i5s will work with a flashed card.

Plus you'll only need it to work if you WANT to see the bios/loading...

otherwise you'll only need it for when you're going into windows anyway? If you get my drift...

It's also good for people who don't want to buy a J-PAC to block the 31khz signals before the 15khz CRT_EMU driver kicks in when windows loads.

I have J-PACS, so I have no need for this, but the benefit for people who don't use J-PACS is cool.

I'm thinking about flashing this bios hack to my card but not so I can read the boot screen, more to protect my Nano MS8.

Apparently this monitor in my Astro cabs is very sensitive to frequency changes and can be damaged even when using a J-PAC as I do. After learning of this I now keep my monitor off until the PC fully boots in the hope that provides some protection. I wonder if this bios hack would provide even more protection? I am a bit hesitant though as everything is running well atm.

I wonder if @Jomac has any input on this subject?

Here is the thread about MS8 chassis running mame http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=68425

I'm thinking about flashing this bios hack to my card but not so I can read the boot screen, more to protect my Nano MS8.

Apparently this monitor in my Astro cabs is very sensitive to frequency changes and can be damaged even when using a J-PAC as I do. After learning of this I now keep my monitor off until the PC fully boots in the hope that provides some protection. I wonder if this bios hack would provide even more protection? I am a bit hesitant though as everything is running well atm.

I wonder if @Jomac has any input on this subject?

Here is the thread about MS8 chassis running mame http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=68425

That's why I did it. Screen doesn't go as crazy at boot anymore. Still also use it through a JPAC