Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gottlieb Wipe Out questions

dmworking247

Question

I've had the Wipe Out settling into its new home for a few weeks now, and I have a couple of novice questions.

Firstly I decided to try out a few LED replacements to the 44 bulbs. All fine, except when I put one in the 'green run' socket, or the '10 million' socket, they do not light up. Try other LEDs, no luck, check solder points, fine. Put old incandescent bulb in, works fine. The LEDs work in any other socket on the same board. What gives?

Secondly, the machine has a rather audible hum (like a really bad fluro lamp). I traced it down to the speaker inside the body. Disconnected it, and its as quiet as a mouse. Could this be electrical interference, a bad speaker? What is this speaker even for since all the game sounds seem to come out of the back box speakers?

Lastly a gameplay question for other Wipeout owners. Is the event-start hole and 'rip the crud' ramp really meant to be that hard to get straight off the flipper? It is seriously hard, I might get rip the crud one in 30 tries if Im lucky, and the event hole only off a rebound. Im starting to wonder if the angle of my flippers is off. :)

Bonus: My trees were looking pretty sad. Ive replaced them with some snow covered trees I bought off ebay designed for a HO model railway ('after' picture to follow)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/21/04054282058614a5ef85a4296c912732.jpg

Edited by dmworking247

3 answers to this question

Firstly I decided to try out a few LED replacements to the 44 bulbs. All fine, except when I put one in the 'green run' socket, or the '10 million' socket, they do not light up. Try other LEDs, no luck, check solder points, fine. Put old incandescent bulb in, works fine. The LEDs work in any other socket on the same board. What gives?

Polarity possibly swapped on the non-working sockets? This is not an issue for incandescent, or non-polarised LEDs.

Secondly, the machine has a rather audible hum (like a really bad fluro lamp). I traced it down to the speaker inside the body. Disconnected it, and its as quiet as a mouse. Could this be electrical interference, a bad speaker? What is this speaker even for since all the game sounds seem to come out of the back box speakers?

Mine is the same. The system 3 ground mod that was on pinrepair seemed to help a little, but the humming is still quite bad.

Same as yours, disconnected the body speaker and humming stopped. The body speaker seems to put out more bass and the audio tended to sound tinny without it connected.

Lastly a gameplay question for other Wipeout owners. Is the event-start hole and 'rip the crud' ramp really meant to be that hard to get straight off the flipper? It is seriously hard, I might get rip the crud one in 30 tries if Im lucky, and the event hole only off a rebound. Im starting to wonder if the angle of my flippers is off. :)

Rip the crud is a bitch. I can only seem to get it off the end of the flipper with a fast moving ball. Haven't paid much attention to shooting the hole, as it usually rebounds in there quite easily.