Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Theatre of Magic Playfield Restore (Pic Heavy)

Hi All,

Another challenging restore, This pinball is going through the @prowler restorations so you know this will end up better than new.

The Before pics is how I got it from the man himself (Prowler).

Challneges are than the playfield itself were the decal supplied, like it wasn't meant to be cleared over, this cause major headache which caused me to overcome some unforeseen problems.

Also during the restore, Adam @xboxmodchip, (Who's pinball it is) discovered it had holes on the playfield that were not suppose to be there, WTF in regards to why, seems like someone may had added posts to prevent the ball going in certain areas?

Anyway I then had to sort these out, usually these are best sorted before any airbrushing or clear coating.

Onto the photos

--BEFORE--

Creature%20Playfield-2.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-3.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-4.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-5.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-6.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-7.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-8.jpg?psid=1

And the After, Still to do is a Cut, Buff and Polish

Creature%20Playfield-9.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-10.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-11.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-12.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-13.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-14.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-15.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-16.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-17.jpg?psid=1

Creature%20Playfield-18.jpg?psid=1

Edited by Scotty T

Holy snappin duck shite! That looks nice. This playfield is what has been holding me up but it will be worth it in the end. Not your fault Scott BTW obviously a difficult PF to restore. It will be all systems go once I get it back.

Thanks again Savage for inviting me over today, pf looks so damn good.

There's no rush my end Prowler I don't mind being patient waiting a few extra weeks means nothing for a machine that will be apart of the family for many years in the future.

As usual that looks amazing. I'm always surprised at how vibrant the colours look after a restore.

I'm Curious how u were able to fix the fine cracks around illusion mode inserts? They look perfect.

Airbrushing was an option but I chose to go with the option below, due to the damage being over the insert the airbrushed area would be noticeable when the lamp underneath would be on.

Savage had some issues though with the overlay due to the finish on the overlay and the clearcoat. He would be best to explain how he fixed this but I believe he had to rub away whatever coating was on the overlay.

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/overlay-for-theatre-magic-p-4259.html?language=english

That has come up an absolute treat! It blows me away with what you can do Savage to get these back to brand new condition. I was wanting to know what could be done with the illusion inserts as mine were in a similar condition to xboxmod's. Did'nt realise there was an overlay and had only seen the decal set with the illusion inserts on it individually. So this basically makes it double thickness? Can they be done individually or is it too time consuming? Keep up the good work!

Hey mate,

Not sure what you mean by double thickness, but if talking about the clear coat not really.

Just a lot of clearing and sanding back and clearing and sanding back, and so on.

I didn't use all of the decal either.

Can be done individually depending on the condition \ wear of the playfield...

Cheers!

Not sure what you mean by double thickness, but if talking about the clear coat not really.

Apologies for my noobness here Savage lol. Basically I was just curious how you applied that overlay over the illusion inserts. I was hoping that this could be done and very clever work indeed. Thinking about giving mine the treatment if its worthy.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just for total transparency, I would probably steer clear of the sticker that was over the inserts in the bottom of the playfield

It seems even after all of this work the sticker has some bubbling under the clear coat.

To me it looks like this decal was never meant to be cleared over, basically meant to go over the top and waxed / polished over.

Probably can still be fixed (I've yet to see it)

But wanted people to know, problems can still happen, unfortunately for Adam it's happened to him

I've talked to him on what can be done, one solution is another playfield and restore this, if we go this path, there is no charge (This is a hobby for me, and when if problems occur, I'll do my best to help)

Another option is to sand down the playfield and "touch up" the problem areas, I'm yet to see what this looks like to see of worth doing, unfortunately it means Adam will have to strip the playfield.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All,

Just for total transparency, I would probably steer clear of the sticker that was over the inserts in the bottom of the playfield

It seems even after all of this work the sticker has some bubbling under the clear coat.

To me it looks like this decal was never meant to be cleared over, basically meant to go over the top and waxed / polished over.

Probably can still be fixed (I've yet to see it)

But wanted people to know, problems can still happen, unfortunately for Adam it's happened to him

I've talked to him on what can be done, one solution is another playfield and restore this, if we go this path, there is no charge (This is a hobby for me, and when if problems occur, I'll do my best to help)

Another option is to sand down the playfield and "touch up" the problem areas, I'm yet to see what this looks like to see of worth doing, unfortunately it means Adam will have to strip the playfield.

Cheers

Thanks Scott for offering to fix this. Right now it appears more cosmetic and is something I can live with until a suitable playfield comes up. Repairing the existing would probably be okay though I remember the wear around the inserts was a concern when you saw it you mentioned that the light coming through would make the painted/repair areas visible.

I'm away for the next couple weekends but the one after is free if you wanted to check it out, good timing for you too.... I'll have just kegged an IPA and a Pale.