Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Play field mounting height

tottenham_hs

Question

Picked up my empty cab yesterday and am excited to start the build process! Measured the internal width and it came back at 520mm which means I can't mount the kogan 40" (525mm) without decasing and apparently this TV is unstable without the case so its ruled out.

I was hoping to avoid routing as I planned on mounting the led at regular play field height and angle. Thought it would look good, some of the light from the screen would reflect off the sides of the cab helping to make it look like a real pin.

Has anyone here mounted it like this and if so what TV did you use?

17 answers to this question

• Administrators

Playfields are usually mounted in 3 different ways.

1 - Level with the top of the cab allowing space for glass and side rails (me with my mini cab)

2 - Allowing depth from the top of the cab but still on the same angle as the cab cuts

3 - Allowing depth but having the top of the playfield screen angled down so it's effectively horizontally level but angled to the playfield carcass. This gives and illusion of depth.

However this is all dependent on viewing angles for your screen of choice and your subjective like/dislike for the method. I highly recommend that you test each and pick your best.

Cheers,

Brad

I've been doing some research and found this post on the VP forums. Seems a pretty comprehensive consensus. I think I might take the suggestion of 3-5 inches below glass and matching the glass angle. I'm thinking if you use the kogan 40" led that is 5mm to big I can route out its shape on each side of the cab at that depth and drop it in on an angle and then center it so its sitting on a shelf made by the router. Does this make sense/sound like a good solution?

Here is the post :

From glass to monitor should be at least three inches to provide some illusion of depth. Right up to the glass totally kills it.

We had all three of our units at Michigan Pinball Expo 2011, and due to the size of the monitor, the Ultra-Widebody (47") can only be mounted right below the glass to avoid conflict with the flipper buttons. The majority of people I talked to preferred the standard body, which was nearly 5" deep, followed by the Widebody (3" deep), and very few liked the monitor right up on the glass in the 47"

I must have spoken to hundreds of people about this over time, and it's a landslide on some depth being the preference.

Edited by tottenham_hs

Just another post re-affirming the parallel mounting orientation. Would the majority here agree? Initially I was planning option 3 which replicates a real play field but I guess viewing angle is probably more important.

Our monitors are mounted parallel with the glass for two reasons:

With any LCD, even ours with 178o*viewing angles, the last thing you want to do is angle itaway*from the viewer.Layback is best represented this way.We must have tried over a dozen different positions before settling on what we use now

We built a custom cab to fit the size TVs we had ordered, so cannot help with this, sorry.:(

You used the kogans right Wendy? Did you match the angle of your glass or did you have it at a flat/small angle like 6 degrees similar to a real play field (eg bigger gap between TV and glass at the back of cab and smaller gap near the lockdown bar). How did you find the viewing angles of the kogan?

Hi tottenham,

Have a good look at cabs that others have done with the plafield mounted in the different ways you mention then go for the one that looks best to you.

I get the feeling you're really keen on the Kogan (can't blame you at that price!!!), in which case it might be easier to router a notch on the inside edge of the side panels and have the TV sit parallel with the glass. Even if you go with another TV you may not want to decase which will still leave you with this problem, so this might be the most practical solution IF you can love with the monitor being directly under the glass instead of sunken down to look more like a real playfield.

Personally I go for the "tapered" notch that is deeper at the back to give it the look of a real playfield. The notch is a lot harder to achieve if you do it by hand though, so you need to consider that.

Here's a couple of pics showing one of my cabs:

1029248453_Cabinetwithplayfieldmonitorinstalled.jpg.68d768880b7ffcedd856794e32656704.jpg525458494_Notchedsectioninsidepanel.jpg.75ddbd7f37bcb930595b221abe10de9b.jpg

It's a bit hard to pick up, but the front edge of the monitor is about 30mm below the glass whereas the rear edge is about 65mm and it gives a good effect.

I was thinking about getting the kogan and just chiselling out the 2-5mm out of each side of the cab at the level I want to mount the play field. The kogan is only 5mm wider than my internal measurement so I was planning on supporting it with a crossbeam and dropping it in on an angle until it slots into the edge I chiseled out then flattening it out. Just need to keep that top edge neat as this will be visible from above.

what we did - just route 1 side and it tilts in nicely. and a block of wood on the other side aswell as just under the route . It it can't fall or move unless you tilt the screen 45 degrees out of the route slot.

The bottom of the tv has the speakers and is much thicker goes in the route .The top of the tv being the thin edge it sits on the block of wood on the other side. very happy with the outcome.

route.jpg.f2105209268a719e6c3a74e0342199ef.jpg wood.jpg.aeb81058f96cc343eec553f184a105f4.jpg

Edited by mystico

what we did - just route 1 side and it tilts in nicely. and a block of wood on the other side aswell as just under the route . It it can't fall or move unless you tilt the screen 45 degrees out of the route slot. The top of the tv being the thin edge goes in the route . the bottom of the tv has the speakers and is much thicker it sits on the block of wood which is lower on the other side. very happy with the outcome.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67053[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]67054[/ATTACH]

This is exactly what I was planning to do. The uncased TV is only 5mm bigger so I'm just gonna chip what little I need out of the way with a chisel and set it up on wood exactly as you have in the pics. Thanks!!!

I agree with Mystico, routing will be the easiest and neatest way to do it. I also really like the way he's done it and I'm jealous I didn't thing of it myself!!!

There's plenty of info on the 'net to help with routering a wide slot or rebate into the side of a panel if you're not sure how to go about it.

I agree with Mystico, routing will be the easiest and neatest way to do it. I also really like the way he's done it and I'm jealous I didn't thing of it myself!!!

There's plenty of info on the 'net to help with routering a wide slot or rebate into the side of a panel if you're not sure how to go about it.

Trouble is I've never used and don't know anyone with a router. Its only 5mm and I'm pretty handy with a chisel ;) as long as that top section is neat no one will see what's under the play field.

Trouble is I've never used and don't know anyone with a router. Its only 5mm and I'm pretty handy with a chisel ;) as long as that top section is neat no one will see what's under the play field.

Routers are nifty tools, but if this is the only reason you need one it's probably a bit hard to justify buying one. Sounds like you'll be good with a chisel, but a router would be soooooo much better.

I hope you get the end result you need :cool:

I'll take some pics of the cab in its current state and document the journey. Really enjoyed big giant head and stuzzas threads. On another note the kogan 28" measurement fits perfectly in my headbox no need to decase. I have a spare 19" dell that I will mount with the bottom half in the cab. Things are coming together nicely.

I mentioned earlier how to position LCD in mount... I had to edit it as it was the wrong way round. we didn't decase the tv so the bottom of the tv goes into the route to hide the wider bezel. . so the tv was centered and 1cm of bezel each side.

sorry bout that ... it must have been late at night when i wrote it.