Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 22 - Game 8 ~ Galaga ~ [FINISHED]

OOO

• Super Moderator

This is from my desktop using my house of Target wireless controller (worst fire buttons ever). Best score for years

Tomorrow will be cocktail Galaga day as Bathurst is Sunday and my scoring will peak mid morning and rapidly go down at the same rate of knots as my beer.

gala0004.png.27a2106cdb30fe60929d15baa9959356.png

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both systems of scoring definitely have their pros and cons, as John has pointed out in his post

However, I do think the % is better overall. When someone posts a big score it probably does not work so fell, but then again that person should be rewarded in some form or another, and in this case it is by reducing what everyone else scores for that specific game.

Thankfully we don't run into many of these games during a single MGL, where one person can score a lot more than everyone else.

On the other hand, if someone posts a massive score not long before the game ends, the % system sucks. Although this shouldn't be happening as its poor sportsmanship IMO. In retrospect I probably could have posted a score a little earlier.

Great score Foot! Best of luck today, hope you can get near the million!!

Yes yes.......I think I have debated the scoring system to death.....I could still go a few rounds on the game selection system though if anyone wants to step up and have a go? ;)

Anyway I agree with most of Barra's points, the percentage scoring is ok, but sometimes it sucks, what I find though is that if someone posts a massive score early on then it sucks all the incentive out of people playing to try to improve their score by just 1%. So it's an incentive for the big scorers and a disincentive for noobs.

Yeah good play should be rewarded, but in some cases it goes too far, personally I would rather see a player who is on average the best at all the games win rather than a player who excels at one or two games, although in the current MGL that wouldn't make any difference to the podium.

Game on people.

Yay it's Head 2 Head day..............0730hrs.....is that too early to start?

Yes yes.......I think I have debated the scoring system to death.....I could still go a few rounds on the game selection system though if anyone wants to step up and have a go? ;)

Anyway I agree with most of Barra's points, the percentage scoring is ok, but sometimes it sucks, what I find though is that if someone posts a massive score early on then it sucks all the incentive out of people playing to try to improve their score by just 1%. So it's an incentive for the big scorers and a disincentive for noobs.

Yeah good play should be rewarded, but in some cases it goes too far, personally I would rather see a player who is on average the best at all the games win rather than a player who excels at one or two games, although in the current MGL that wouldn't make any difference to the podium.

Game on people.

Yay it's Head 2 Head day..............0730hrs.....is that too early to start?

Having first beer shortly !

We've certainly had some discussion on scoring systems and that's a a good thing which should be encouraged.

John and Barra cover lots of good points in posts below. I've always liked to look at the arithmetic behind it all and see the effect.

In this case Barra got 3.3 million and next best is Rob with 1.2 million, if these don't change Barra gets 100 for this round and Rob would get 36%. Now in this eight game series the maximum points available is 8 x 100 = 800. So Barra's advantage, for this sensational game of Galaga, over the whole MGL is (100 - 36)/800 which is about 8%.

Using the same logic, if we had used GP scoring the advantage would be (25 -20) / 200 which is 2.5%. So by he's picked up 5.5% over the whole comp. This is very unlikely to change the final leader board.

Last time we talked about it I went through the previous two MGL comps and scored them on both systems and demonstrated it made no difference to the podium positions and it made some minor shuffling of one or two positions in the middle to bottom of the rank. If you search old MGL threads the discussion and results are there.

Sounds like the percentage system is generally best. I imagine too it is easy to use in excel or whatever, it would automatically calculate everything. Like I say, on BYOAC I think the best I ever came in an individual game is third, but since they only scored to two places, even THEN I didn't get a look in. Here, I was very chuffed to get in the top five for Berserk, because I can see the results. I think I moved four positions from that game!

I don't even think a HUGE score like Barras Galaga score is a disincentive to us lower scoring players, because even if his score was only say 400,000 it is out of my reach. In this game (and most I must admit!) I don't have much chance of getting to the number one spot, but because everyone is scoring something, I aim to beat the next guy. Which in the case of Galaga, I think is Joele (",)

The Galaga Fleet ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Galaga2_zps3e1edb6e.png

and the overall standings ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/SB7_zps32569298.png

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Galaga_Dragonfly_zps25c07c4f.png 0.71 points separates 5th and 6th, 1.73 points 18th and 19th, 1.85 points 9th and 10th and 2.61 points 11th and 12th ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Galaga_Dragonfly_zps25c07c4f.png 5 hours to go ... and then MGL 22 will close ... :)

MGL 22 - Game 8 ~ Galaga

All done for me. Wanted to get that next place but it ain't going to happen.

Great MGL, really enjoyed the games. Circus Charlie was a fun new find for me and same goes for Berzerk.

Great run comp again OOO.

Lucking forward to the final standings.

• Super Moderator

Friggin hell!, it's 7:30 NSW time (****in daylight saving)

I forgot to post my new score, Kinda got carried away with Bathurst :tequila:

ARRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

gala0007.png.b5d7e2c673778220736d3446e0fd7001.png

It's 7pm on Sunday 12-October-2014.

Score submissions for Game 8 Galaga are now closed.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Galaga_Enterprise_zpsfb23fa8b.png

The final scoreboard standings are below ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Galaga3Final_zps7f3ac48e.png

Fire_Power PBs, danny_galaga just played and played and kept getting better ... :041: ... Foot high scores his best for over 18 years to crack the million just like the good old days to take 3rd place ? :038:

... and RMacauley flies into 2nd place by a whisker for 1.236 million.

Congratulations to Barra for winning Game 8 and beating his previous AA record to set a new and mighty 3,384,110 with a killscreen. It?s great to have the current Galaga Marathon World Champion with us.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/GalagaMGL22Winner_zpsc9cf8dbd.png

This was the last game of MGL 22 and the final scoreboard for MGL 22 will be posted shortly ?

:)

• Super Moderator

Happy for my score not to count if my post was too late.

Got that score after 4 Fat Yak's this morning. Was a great start to the day, kind of got carried away with the bar fridge after that :D

11 spot not bad first up. Really need to find more time and submit scores for all games urghhh. Well done Brad and I thought I wasn't a bad player at galaga but 3.3 mil Barra that's unbelievable!! Ur the Galaga King!! Edited by Snjspiteri