Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Home Theatre - Any good forums?

Hey All

Another interest of mine is home theatre. I haven't been into much in the last years as my kids control the main tv but my subwoofer is starting to play up so have been looking around for a new one and it has rekindled my interest! If I'm going to watch Frozen every night I want the walls to shake!

I remember when I asked about BMXs I was put onto a good forum so I wondered if there is a 'main' forum for home theatre/hifi?

Someone here may be pretty knowledgeable on this stuff and might be able to advice me! There are some good sales on now and I am looking at Velodyne SPL-1000 Ultra at $1678 or B&W PV1D for $1,869. Not sure which is the better model. My old Jensen SPX-19 has started making a low 'buzzing' noise most of the time and sometimes makes a loud buzz when in use. I am guessing the amp has issues.

Thanks!

Lefty

Maybe its worth fixing the Jensen? Or do you want a new sub to play with. Your buzzing noise could be as simple as a loose connection at the lead or the socket, especially if the young ones have been playing behind there.

Thanks for the replies guys. Been over at whirlpool and AV Forum which I was already a member off. Had a look at AVS forum too!

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe its worth fixing the Jensen? Or do you want a new sub to play with. Your buzzing noise could be as simple as a loose connection at the lead or the socket, especially if the young ones have been playing behind there.

That's a good point. You do get into that mindset where you decide to just get a new toy. I was just thinking yesterday I should look at the Jensen before writing it off. My first thought was it good be an interference issue and to try isolating in a different room and see what happens. I don't think/hope the kids have been behind there but you never know! We do regular checks of the front speaker ports. It's amazing what little kids can shove in there!

Had a quick play around with this the other night. I disconnected the subwoofer and took it to another room. I only connected the power cable and turned it on, loud hum straight away. Only moving the switch between On/Auto/Off made any difference. It would go quitter in On then stopped the loud hum in Off. I put it back to Auto and it was quiet. I left it like that for about 20 minutes and the loud hum came back on. I am guessing the power supply or amplifier is playing up.

Had a quick play around with this the other night. I disconnected the subwoofer and took it to another room. I only connected the power cable and turned it on, loud hum straight away. Only moving the switch between On/Auto/Off made any difference. It would go quitter in On then stopped the loud hum in Off. I put it back to Auto and it was quiet. I left it like that for about 20 minutes and the loud hum came back on. I am guessing the power supply or amplifier is playing up.

Well if you are feeling brave, pull it to bits and have a look at the capacitors in the power supply. I changed the 2 large ones in the Amplifier PSU for my Guitar Freaks and it sorted out my hum.

Just be careful as caps store electricity, so discharge them before you play around, and obviously unplug it ;)

- - - Updated - - -

On another note, your looking to spend a fair bit on a subwoofer, Ive no idea what the rest of your system is like but there may be much bigger band for buck upgrades you could do.