Thread: Hold issue on MS8 - 26SE chassis

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1450 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    I have two Astro cabs with MS-8 / Jpac / Groovymame and I just keep the cabs turned off until the PC is fully booted and same in reverse turn the cab off first then the PC. I have been doing that for a few years now with no problems, I don't find it much of a hassle knowing that I am better protecting my hardware doing it.
    This is exactly what I do, turn on, wait until it syncs, then power on monitor. Works well and no issues at my end.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Does anyone else here rely on ATOM-15 for chassis protection from incorrect res?

See ATOM-15 thread here http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/foru...opic.php?id=64
    Yup, 100%. I've flashed 4 different cards (4350, 4890, 6870, 6950) with complete success, using atiwinflash no less. It's 100% reliable because it removes any non-15kHz mode from the card's BIOS. Any problems will be on the windows end, so with crt-emudriver and EDID emulation you should be pretty right. Still ways to screw up if you really want to, but it's not easy. If you read that thread you linked, and search for your model card in the GroovyMAME subforum on ArcadeControls to flag up any issues, you should be right

EDIT: For Windows 10, to be extra safe, make sure to tick the "hide modes this monitor cannot display" box, and to stop and disable the AMD External Events Utility. Make sure you stop and disable, as those are two different settings. This is not related to Atom15 of course, just saying

Atom 15 does mean that UEFI BIOSes that want higher than 640x480 might give a black screen instead of the BIOS, while you wait for windows to load. I haven't actually used a computer new enough for it to happen to me.

That said, if you have a JPAC with the 15kHz protection enabled, you should be equally fine.
    Last edited by buttersoft; 16th April 2018 at 10:38 AM.

State
    Perth WA
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theMot View Post
    If that happens to the MS9 is it fixable or pretty much have to bin the chassis?
    They can be repaired just as easily as the MS8-26 so more an inconvenience and unnecessary cost that can be avoided.

If you follow "Rat" and others experiences you should never have to worry about damaging any chassis.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information