Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL22 - Call for Nominations is CLOSED ...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was up to me I'd ban every game played in an MGL from ever being played again. First 2 games Bubble Bobble and 10 Yard Fight both played before, both in the last 2 years...

There are more than 3,000 unique games supported by MAME, surely we can broaden our horizons a bit more.

I enjoyed MGL21 more than the previous few because of the variety of games I hadn't played before, but a few others mentioned they disliked it for the same reason, so clearly different people want different things, but that's how I feel anyway.

If it was up to me I'd ban every game played in an MGL from ever being played again. First 2 games Bubble Bobble and 10 Yard Fight both played before, both in the last 2 years...

I like that games can be replayed for 2 reasons:

1. My first MGL was MGL 20 (I didn't know it existed before that) and I would be disappointed to think that I would never get to play the games I missed.

2. I like the idea that once I play a game for the first time, it can revisited it at a later date so I can see how I and others have improved since the last time. I also support the fact that games are locked out for a while after the MGL they were in.

As a newcomer to the MGL, I don't think I would stay interested if all of the games were games that were not popular games. With that in mind, I think the format of MGL probably wins out with a cross of both but maybe (???) ensure that a more popular game comes up first (not sure of the criteria of that one) or like MGL 22 start with 2 games to keep the interest up early (although I am struggling to make time to play one of the games as it isn't as enticing to me and if I knew it was the game of the week I'd be more committed. I didn't hate Willow as much as others in MGL 21, I just didn't like the massive score difference for those who finished the game because it meant if I couldn't finish it, which I can't, my score would only ever be a very low percentage but hey, that is that luck of the draw)

Edited by JustAnotherRat
Changed some wording so it made sense to those not inside my brain

I thought games recycled after a certain number of MGL?

Anyways, I don't see the point of not allowing popular games back, yes there may be 6 squillion games we haven't used, but there are some games that you look at and go WTF?

I agree also that if you're late on the scene to not get to play some of the classics, would probably steer some people away.

Another idea is allow voting maybe up to x games of previous comp games?

I reckon it's great that we can have an open and mature discussion about all this - it hasn't always been the case :)

@John73 please don't use the word random in a post on MGL - it's a known flash point for me :lol :lol

I also reckon that probably folks aren't too unhappy whichever way it goes. Words like unsatisfied, unhappy, troublemaker etc are of limited dimension in solely written form. If we were all sitting round having a beer we'd just go yeah I think X is a better way than Y but not dwell on it for too long.

OOO is doing a great job and I'm happy with whatever he chooses, but a poll covering all the above would be interesting, as is the ability to modify it over time to suit changing tastes.

Now on to some playing for me - I play for fun and exposure to new games.

I reckon it's great that we can have an open and mature discussion about all this - it hasn't always been the case :)

@John73 please don't use the word random in a post on MGL - it's a known flash point for me :lol :lol

Sometimes you have to bury the bone....instead of chewing it for ever...and ever...and ever...and ever.....:rolleyes

I like Kane's idea of playing all new games. At least for one MGL anyway ? Something never played in MGL's before. Course then you have the possibility that they are all rubbish :)

Sometimes you have to bury the bone....instead of chewing it for ever...and ever...and ever...and ever.....:rolleyes

and sometimes you can make a joke - even at your own expense and as a bonus you might hook something. Thanks for that.

I wonder if it was pure coincidence that I mentioned this in the same post as I mentioned the ability to have open and mature discussion. :p

Alright boys & boys - let's just finish this random discussion right here shall we?

Regarding the nomination/game selection process, we can discuss it until the cows come home, we are never ever going to reach a consensus, and that is fine with me. We all have different yet equally valid points of view on how the process should work.

How about this for an idea: For those who played in the recent IGBY run by the good guys at RetroUprising - how would everyone feel about running or at least trialling a similar thing in an MGL? We have generally 20-25 people who participate in an MGL, we could all nominate 1 game each and just play all 20-25 games over the course of 6-8 weeks or something. I'm not running the MGL any longer, Paul (OOO) is and he's doing a superb job, just putting the idea out there - at the end of the day it's not my decision.

Either way, I'm happy to play under whatever nomination process the majority decide on. If it's decided that the next MGL is a random never been played before selection then I'll go with that, but I will say "I told you so" when a crappy game comes up and no one plays it :lol

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I really like how games 1 & 2 are started straight away now, the overlapping format was great and generally most people would find one of the two games appealing, so if a game sucked you still had something to play for the week. Having 2 games right from the start means week 1 is no longer a bust if you find the first game particular sucky.

and sometimes yobut joke - even at your own expense and as a bonus you might hook something. Thanks for that.

I wonder if it was pure coincidence that I mentioned this in the same post as I mentioned the ability to have open and mature discussion. :p

Yeah, have noticed casting your hook is Just your way. once an antagonist, always an antagonist. now, where's that flogging a dead horse icon :p

OOO, you're a legend. And so is everyone that participates in this comp. I'm very new to it all, and gaming in general, but it is great to have a community that is so passionate about older games.

I have to say, I have enjoyed every game I have played so far, even with my low scores. I ended up playing 10 Yard Fight for three hours last night, well past my bedtime. I would never have even clicked on it had it not been for MGL.

I don't have an opinion on the best format and haven't been around long, but I think what we have here is pretty great.

Also, sorry for posting the massive pictures - I'll look at uploading something smaller going forward.