Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

kroag's lowboy build.

Im about to start a lowboy build to replace my mammoth bartop.

It will not be started for a couple of weeks, but have a question on the control panel to start with .

Background:

I have a Carpenter with access to a large CNC router who will provide the MDF and cut out the cabinet (barter system... I made him a website)

I have the hardware already, but will probably pick up a 19"/20" non wide screen LCD monitor at local auction shortly. I have a 22" wide screen in stock if it comes to it but prefer not to use it. There is a reason I am going to use a LCD monitor which will become apparent later on in the build.

The only trouble I have is that my metal bashing mate who was going to make me a metal control panel recently changed jobs and now finds it hard to do foreignies :( So I have to come up with a plan "B" on the control panel.

The lowboy will be 575mm wide , so not stock....

My current control panel is MDF with a laminated vinyl covering which is wearing well,I like the look of Carbon fiber, but Im not sure that this "3d" carbon fiber vinyl could be laminated because of the texture.

Anyways, Im wondering if anyone here has used it before and how "hard wearing" it is.

Here is a link... cheap enough that I will buy it anyways.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3D-Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-Film-Roll-Diagonal-Sheet-Car-Sticker-Phone-Laptop-Wrap-DIY-/130676044087?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6ce63137&_uhb=1&tfrom=400458749449&tpos=unknow&ttype=price&talgo=origal

Another option I have (if my metal basher cannot make me a sheet metal CP) is that for around $60 (with the stuff I already have at hand) I could, and probably will, if I like the look of the carbon fiber CP, end up making one out of real carbon fibre ...

But, if anyone here has used this 3d carbon fibre vinyl, what are your thoughts on the stuff, especially as a control panel covering??

Carbon fiber vinyl arrived today, looks like it should go alright as a CP covering.

I have another friend Ive given the CP dimensions to, fingers crossed I might have it by the weekend.

Will be giving my chippy the DWG files to get at least the sides cut this week, the rest I can cut out here.

Ive been deciding on a theme for this cabinet and have decided on "the last Starfighter"

Preliminary side art...

sideartwork.png.e64abc6ffde1271c42e204c011099157.png

I will probably get the emblem printed and stencil the stripes and text.

Control panel turned up last night :) now to drill some holes.

IMG_0604.JPG.657a1b1abbaeba5f912bc71dbce228fa.JPG

I will be mostly stripping my current cab for parts, but ordered a few things from ozstick today.

Tax return will help with some other stuff.. t-molding etc, might splurge on some better joysticks that the cheap ones I currently have.

CP button and Joystick holes done.

I have the luxury of having highway entertainment being just down the road, and they have a special on buttons atm ($1.50 buttons with micro switches)

So rang them up and placed a pick up order...(12 black buttons with switches and 1 joystick. $29.95...)

The 2nd player joystick is in my current cab ,I grabbed that off them about 3 weeks ago.

Will drill the joystick mounting holes tomorrow, now I have one "in the hand" to use as a template..

then it will be time to apply the carbon fiber vinyl to see how it looks.

CPWIP1.jpg.64d5c1072da74258ac8cee1860b2a2ec.jpg

Looks like the cabinet sides will take a few weeks to get done, but Im applying pressure to get them as quick as I can.

Zedmaniac posted this little gem a couple of days ago, and Ive ordered one..saves the keyboard/mouse drawer having to be considered..

143475729_wirelesskeyboard.png.fcb5556c260eaa6c5641602b402a2325.png

wireless micro keyboard with a touch pad for a mouse.. just less than $14 AU delivered ...ebay link

CPWIP1.jpg.a63dc7b525dc451959ab935a858403a0.jpg

1155993538_wirelesskeyboard.png.cb21fa60804e81a31bc0b916ffc4ec90.png

Edited by kroag

• 2 weeks later...

Mini keyboard hasnt arrived yet :(

These arrived this week ... 200 x $6.60

11405167-2.jpg.ed8f213454f2c3645e68f2cfc593d9c4.jpg

I figures one of these would make updating and loading games via a USB stick easy..$2.70

77-298.jpg.ab34642c7cc0752270d703f17b89cc8a.jpg

4 of these on their way (70 cm long) $4.50

237511021__57.JPG.f2fba2e40594153dc080fbc04a8ed1c9.JPG

And just picked up a samsung 19" 4:3 monitor off gumtree for $12.00 that was all of about 1.5km from my house :)

My Carpenter mate has got back to me on what his contact needs as far as files for the cabinet. I should have them finished this arfternoon.

so it would seem that things are starting to move on the project.