Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Moon Patrol reproduction

tl;dr - complete build photo:

Build log:

Building a US Williams Moon Patrol reproduction as a surprise gift for a good friend.

Plans come straight off Jakobud, which by all accounts are fairly accurate. Will be using a Raspberry Pi with MAME to keep costs down.

I don't expect this to be a quick build, as spare time is short. Throwing up photos as I go.

Last edited by elvis; 13th December 2014 at 01:58 PM.

State
    Brisbane - Oz
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    265 Post(s)
    Looking forward to this,
    Dan when I was originally going to do mine I document resources to help with the build including paint codes etc, one resource which is good was Dragonslair:
    http://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor...p?topic=1815.0

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Looking forward to this,
    Dan when I was originally going to do mine I document resources to help with the build including paint codes etc, one resource which is good was Dragonslair:
    http://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor...p?topic=1815.0
    Cheers for that!

I've nerded out a bit with this project, and am keeping the whole thing up on github. In there I've got a "reference" folder with photos and things that show off different bits of the cabinets (how the glass mounts is a real tricky one to find info on). I've got some paint colours up there:

https://github.com/danmons/arcade/tr...trol/reference

But I'm keen to collect as much info as I can, particularly from restores others have done, as they tend to have some awesome info.

State
    Brisbane - Oz
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    265 Post(s)
    Last edited by Savage; 23rd June 2014 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Poor grammar

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Yeah, was keen on the artwork from gameongrafix.com. They give a 10% discount to BYOAC members, so I was going to get all three bits (control panel, bezel, marquee) all in one go.

I've got the side art in AI format, so I'm going to ask a sign writer mate what the cost of getting it cut from vinyl will be. If that's too expensive, I'll go with the stencils instead.

Currently it looks like the artwork is going to be the biggest cost! I'm estimating around $200 all up for art (plus postage from the US) and paint. The MDF was $90 (and there'll be plenty spare from that), the Raspberry Pi and SD card is $53, the access panel for the coin mech is around $40, the joystick, buttons and coin mech are all things I have lying around from other projects, and the monitor will be an old TV from curbside pickup.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Raspberry Pi arrived today. Slapping Raspbian (Debian) on it tonight with MAME4ALL and mucking around for a bit.

State
    Mawson Lakes, Adelaide, SA
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    261 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Raspberry Pi arrived today. Slapping Raspbian (Debian) on it tonight with MAME4ALL and mucking around for a bit.

Have you tried PiPlay?

http://pimame.org/

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RetroBorg View Post
    Have you tried PiPlay?

http://pimame.org/
    This is my first play with a Raspberry Pi, but I'm a long time Linux user (been using Linux personally since 1997, professionally since 2001, and have been 100% Microsoft-free since 2006).

At this stage I'm looking to make this as fast as possible with as few options as possible. Ideally this will boot straight into a very light menu (game title, screenshot) with about 50 or so games available. My 4 previous MAME cabinets all ran Linux, so I've done this a few times over now.

PiPlay looks pretty nice for one of those "all in one" projects, but from what I've seen the author just combines a number of good open source projects together in a neat bundle. It'll probably be too complex for my intended audience, so I'll probably stick to doing it myself at this stage. I'll tinker about a bit tonight and see how I go.

State
    Mawson Lakes, Adelaide, SA
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    261 Post(s)
    Fair enough, I recently bought a Raspberry Pi and installed the Openelec version of XBMC and was quite impressed, so I was thinking the Raspberry Pi might make a good MAME computer too.

PiPlay is what I was looking at and I was interested to find out what you thought of it being the Linux expert.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RetroBorg View Post
    PiPlay is what I was looking at and I was interested to find out what you thought of it
    From what I can tell it's just Raspbian (Debian for RPi) with a bunch of emulators pre-installed and pre-configured. If you're going for an "emulate everything possible on RPi" type setup, then they've done a lot of the hard work for you. So for that purpose at least it's pretty good.

It's a bit like when folks download those Hyperspin packs from torrent sites that have everything pre-configured for them. If you're looking for the quickest route to getting everything under the sun playable, then that's probably the way to go.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information