Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Which provider have you had the most luck with when it comes to internet problems?

I'm ****ing jack of this shitty internet connection I have. It is still under my ex-housemates name so it's a real hassle trying to get it looked at. Or even changed over to my name. I'm thinking the easiest would be for her to cancel it, and I start with a new account. I don't hold much for any one provider having better 'internet' than any other, since they all have to use this mouldy green puss they call a copper network to get to my place. So my best bet is to go for the provider that gives the best service, especially when it comes to sorting connection issues. Because they are probably going to have to straight away. Then it's Call of Duty FTW!!11!1!!

Any thoughts?

I've been with IINet for around 7 years and they've always given me decent service. When i have had to ring them (which hasn't been often) they've dealt with the issue pretty quickly. Even ringing on a Sunday night got a quick resolution to a problem.

iiNet can't do anything if your pair keeps shorting out. A mate of mine is with them with that problem. All they can do is report the issue to Telstra over and over again. It would be quicker and simpler to use Telstra as there would be more visability that the issue recurs, rather than a string of unconnected faults reported by a third party.

There is no perfect provider unfortunately, Internode is known for quality / reliability but slightly more expensive then others, iiNet have great customer support and are part of a large network and have better download plans, and Telstra own it all so may have some advantage by that but never had that great download caps.

This may or may not have changed since last I looked but was the general consensus.

Which provider have you had the most luck with when it comes to internet prob...

I have Optus cable 18mbps and Optus ADSL 4.95mbps. Have had Cable for 15 years and ADSL about 2 years, can't fault em.

But mobile stuff is Telstra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been with Exetel for about 7yrs. No problem at all. I recently moved house and had to cancell my account. they offered a service to be able to access my email account. Onced moved into my new house they connected me up with unlimited adsl2+. Nice and fast hassle free.

I was with Telstra Bigpond cable for about 10 years before moving and could no longer get it (very upset!). Never really had any issues with them, but it was expensive.

I have TPG unlimited ADSL2+ and have been happy with the service. Very very few outages and tech support when required has been good. Speed is average, a bit of a modem tweak got me and extra bit on top and the connection is still stable. I miss my cable though, even if there were low data caps in comparison.

Would cable be fine for online gaming? I don't do an absolute heap of it, but it really shits me when it drops out, or doesn't run smooothly. General browsing on the net is a pain too right now, sometimes drops out and generally does weird annoying things. Cable would mean I bypass all that 19th century crap and get with the 1960's man! I sigh any time I think of the NBN and what could have been...

Danny, do you still live in Greenslopes? If so, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT GO WITH OPTUS CABLE!!!

Our area suffers from MASSIVE peak time, local and international congestion on Optus Cable. I left them for Telstra cable for that exact reason. I cannot even begin to describe how shitty Optus is if you are on a congested node.

Edited by namastepat

Telstra Cable if you can get it.

I can have all at once 3 kids on their pc's, me on mine and the wife watching foxtel through the tbox which uses the internet not a fox signal in the cable and never misses a beat..

I have adsl+ at work and the cable at home flogs it

Telstra customer service is a bit crap..

Im waiting for the nbn should be my in a mth or 2

me too, about 10 years away ;-) whereupon they will run the foxtel cable 20 meters to my house... Telstra want $1,000 per meter to run it now, decided to wait....

Hmmm. Ok, so it sounds like Telstra cable might be an option. Of course, since I live in a unit I don't own, I'm not sure how I go about that. I'll check with my ex-housemate. She is now my landlady. The Telstra site says my location is good to go for cable but I guess I'll have to talk to someone about how I go about setting it up...

Get on a Telstra BigPond bundle and installation will be included. This way you get a fast cable connection and no issues with installation costs from the landlady. Generally this is your best and cheapest alternative. I have cable on a WiFi and no issues with latency or dropouts. Should be fine for gaming.

Make sure you're within 1 km of the exchange then you'll get good adsl2 speed

Speed vs distance from exchange drops rapidly to the point where ADSL no different to adsl2

Optus cable in my area very good. 32 Mb / s download

Well apparently this is my situation according to:

http://adsl2exchanges.com.au

Line of Sight: 878 m

Estimated Cable: 1405 m

Estimated Attenuation: 20

Estimated Maximum Speed: 18000

I read they aren't very accurate, but the line of sight will probably be right, and therefore more than 1km of cable. More than 1km of waterlogged, rotten copper consisting mostly of Verdigris :lol

Thanks for the info guys, I think I am going to call Telstra this week (and my landlady) about setting up a Telstra cable innerwebz connect (",)

May want to check out Whirlpool as some have mentioned the problem with cable is congestation, the more people on it in the area the slower as the bandwidth is shared amongst all of you, and during peak times they can be woeful. The people there are likely to have some user in your area that can tell you if its horrible choice for cable or not.

Yep that person is me! :) I live down the road from Danny. Optus cable is congested to hell and back and totally sucks in my area, I left them for that exact reason. Still have friends stuck on it, and they still tell me that it is terrible during peak time. Telstra cable has been amazing for me. I can download files at 10-12 megabytes a second all the time. It's a beautiful thing and the closest I will ever get to the NBN in my area.

• 2 weeks later...

It is done (",)

I've signed up for Telstra cable. It almost seems to be the default for new internet for them now. I guess it's cheaper for them than fixing that poxy old phone network! Should be hooked up in a week or so. Fingers crossed...