Thread: MGL 21 - Nominate your games by PM ONLY ... [CLOSED]

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1197 Post(s)

MGL 21 - Nominate your games by PM ONLY ... [CLOSED]

MGL 21 will kick off on Friday 2-May-2014 and the first game will be posted and start by 7pm. Then it's GAME ON!

Settings for MGL 21:

1. Default DIP switches will be posted for every game.
    2. There will be 8 games, each running for 16 days. Game 2 will be announced one week after game 1 starts, so this is a 9 week competition.
    Games start by 7pm on a Friday and finish the following Sunday week at 7pm. This provides three full weekends of play per game!
    3. Points scoring will be the percentage system and everyone who submits a score will receive points.

Rules for nominating your games:

1. MGL 21 will be a hidden favourites competition.
    2. Every player can nominate up to 5 different games.
    3. PLEASE DO NOT NOMINATE YOUR GAMES IN HERE OR PUBLICLY - To nominate your games you need to send a private message (PM) to the MGL organiser (OOO for MGL21) with your nominations.
    After you send your PM, you cannot change your nominations.
    4. Each game you nominate counts as one vote. You cannot give 2 or more votes to one game.
    5. After nominations close, 4 games with the most votes will be played. In case of a tie of votes, the game will be randomly selected from that tie group. Plus another 4 games with the most votes will be played, but these games must not have been played before in the MGL. In case of a tie of votes, the game will be randomly selected from that tie group.

For example, 20 players nominate 5 different games each via PM to the MGL organiser.
    After putting all votes together, 1 game has 5 votes, 3 games have 4 votes and the other games have less than 4 votes.
    So 4 games by most popular vote have been decided.

In the "remaining" never played before in the MGL game pool, 2 games have 2 votes and 40 games have 1 vote.
    The 2 games with 2 votes are played plus 2 more randomly selected from the 1 vote group.

It is possible that more than 4 games never played before in the MGL are played, as the most votes group could have a game(s) never played before.

6. After nominations are closed, the 8 games to be played will not be made public immediately.
    The games will be made public "one at a time" for every game to be released each Friday by 7pm.
    In this way no player will know what games were selected and even what games they will be selected from, other than the 5 games they nominated.
    So this a great hidden favourites tournament and everyone will enjoy playing each game as best as they can, not knowing what is coming up next.
    7. The following games are excluded from your nominations. All games are out that were recently played in MGL 18 to 20 and the Shmups Off.

Excluded games:

1942, Amidar, Bank Panic, Black Tiger, Bomb Jack, Bubble Bobble, Dig Dug, Do Don Pachi, Frogger, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Jumping Jack, Kung-Fu Master, Ladybug, Mario Bros, Moon Patrol, Pac-Man, Pooyan, Q*Bert, Scramble, Slap Fight, Tiger Heli, Turtles, Valtric, Wonder Boy, Xevious

8. No bootlegs/clones of excluded games are allowed. (e.g. Pac n Pal is the same as Pac-Man and Chomp Chomp). If in doubt, nominate your game and it will be reviewed to determine if it is valid.
    9. Games must be playable on a standard cabinet - 1 joystick and 3 buttons maximum. Trackball games are out.
    10. Game continues are not allowed for score submissions. Please only play a single game from the beginning if you want to submit a score.
    11. Everyone at AA is welcome to play in the MGL and you do not need to nominate to play, the more the merrier ?
    12. I will release the games in alternating order: Never played before, then most votes, never played before, most votes etc. However I will rearrange the order to prevent 2 shooters being back to back (like Exed Exes then Phoenix), or 2 similar maze games being back to back (like Pac-man Plus then Turtles). Sometimes I will not be able to prevent this from happening with what is selected to play.
    13. Nominations close Thursday 1-May-2014 at 10pm.
    14. At the end of the MGL, I will post all the nominations made by members so you can see which games were in the pool of games.

Check KLOV.com, lookup MAME and check your arcade machines to nominate away by PM.

Mystery Prize:

At the end of the MGL, all players that played every game in the MGL will be in a mystery prize draw.
    I am donating the prize and one player will win the prize, drawn by chance - "out of a hat".
    I will post the name of the winner of the prize and contact them by PM so I can get their address to send the prize to them.
    The small value prize (arcade related) will be revealed at the end of the MGL.
    Previous winners of the mystery prize are eligible if they play all 8 games.

MGL 21 nominations are now open ...

PS: Just in case anyone missed the decisions on streaming, game learning etc. in the Call for Ideas ... thread, a copy is below ...

Quote Originally Posted by OOO View Post
    Thank you to everyone who provided feedback.
    There are many interesting points of view on the topics.
    However where a majority did not agree to a change, that change will not be implemented ...

MGL 21 will be a hidden favourites competition, scoring under the percentage system with 8 games over 9 weeks.
    Looking at the requests for popular games and more new games to be played, it will be 4 games by most votes plus 4 games never played before in the MGL. PM nominations sent to me and games released one at a time. OK

Some wanted to stream and have fun during the two weeks of game play. For that arcade feel, building interest, sharing knowledge and building the community, no rule will be created to restrict or stop streaming. Quite the opposite, enjoy it.

Watching other people play is also learning and sharing tips. Many players at AA have played many of these games before and have experience and knowledge of many games. This includes watching inps on MARP/TG/RU previously, looked at Youtube games for interest, watched live streams around the world and read strategies of the games. This has helped them to improve and become a better player plus develop a deeper understanding and appreciation of the games. New players just taking up gaming or not as experienced should have the same opportunity. Learn as fast as you want, you choose. No rule will be created to restrict or stop learning as fast as you want and sharing tips.

A score submission must be a single game with no continues. This is a current rule and does not change.
    Regarding always resetting the game each game play, this will be posted against the game only when it is needed. Bubble Bobble comes to mind where this is needed, but all other games you do not need to do this (and waste time for EVERY single game EVERY time for 9 weeks EVERY MGL. Plus cab players turning off and on the machine EVERY game EVERY time is not practical.)

Regarding do we play default dips or TG, not enough votes were received to change to TG settings. Please note the TG scoreboard is not up now and Champow and other scoreboards do not have all the TG settings posted. So in this MGL we may have found playing at default dips anyway.

I'll open the nominations thread today. This will have the rules and a place for you guys to discuss games.
    Please read the nominations thread with the rules before you nominate.
    (I will clear my mailbox so I can receive your PMs)

MGL21 starts in 5 days ...

Last edited by OOO; 1st May 2014 at 08:09 PM.

Ask your friends to play in MGLXLI. Don't procrastinate, participate ...

State
    Auckland
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1071 Post(s)
    Ill be nominating games that have not been played in an MGL before (as far as we can tell)

My stream - http://www.twitch.tv/barranz - Pop in and say hello!

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1197 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Barra View Post
    Ill be nominating games that have not been played in an MGL before (as far as we can tell)
    Your choice ...

However 4 most popular by vote will be played (some of which may not have been played before) , plus 4 never been played before in the MGL.

Sounds interesting ... Games ... 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8.

- - - Updated - - -

And John73 is first in with 5 interesting picks ...

State
    Auckland
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1071 Post(s)
    Looking back, my noms for the last two MGLs have never been played in the past
    Hopefully Brad randomly picks one of mine again ha
    Last edited by Barra; 27th April 2014 at 02:25 PM.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1197 Post(s)

MGL 19 you nominated Wardner, which was played in MGL 1-7 somewhere.
    All other 9 games you nominated were never played before ...

State
    Auckland
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1071 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OOO View Post
    MGL 19 you nominated Wardner, which was played in MGL 1-7 somewhere.
    All other 9 games you nominated were never played before ...
    Ahh ok yes. Thanks!

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    703 Post(s)
    PM sent. 5 new games as far as I know

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1197 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RMacauley View Post
    PM sent. 5 new games as far as I know
    Yes you are right, all good games ... and thanks!

State
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1505 Post(s)
    Hopefully Brad randomly picks one my mine again ha
    Lord I hope not. I don't know what I was thinking with Jumping Jack

Brad

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1197 Post(s)

Blktgr74, RMacauley, Fire_Power, Barra and Another Rat have put in their 5 nominations tonight.
    The game pool is building, nothing decided yet ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information