Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 21 - Call for ideas ... [CLOSED]

My reason for not caring if people give clues from the start is because not doing it gives even more of an advantage to more seasoned players. They have an advantage through being more seasoned and then if we don't share bridging that gap becomes difficult. To me giving clues etc. is no different to standing with someone playing the game and helping them which seems to be acceptable, even to the point that some people get together to play and help each other. I think as a community, getting together is great but those who don't have the opportunity shouldn't miss out.

In most cases you need to spend time playing the games before the tips help anyway. Yes they improve your score, but you need to be able to do it and without practice, you generally can't.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

John, any more details on this? Just for my interest. I recall asking a few MGLs ago why most people reset for each game - I tended to leave mine running to preserve HS tables. BITD was it common to switch machine off to get first coin game?

Most people reset because it's a quick way to start over after a bad start (Rage Quit)

The most recent game we played where this could have been an issue (albeit a minor one) was Wonderboy - the bonuses don't reset at the end of a game, meaning you can fix it so you get the highest bonus points at the start of a new game - this is impossible to do on the first credit when the game is turned on.

No it was not common BITD to switch a machine off, in fact, the arcade I went to would crack the shits big time if you messed with the power under the machine.

These multiple credit issues (some games will even play differently if you add 2 credits then begin) is why sites such as Twin Galaxies and Retro Uprising insist that all scores being submitted are a single credit only and the game must be hard reset (power cycled off and then on) prior to a score being accepted. It ensures a level playing field as much as is possible.

Most people reset because it's a quick way to start over after a bad start (Rage Quit)

The most recent game we played where this could have been an issue (albeit a minor one) was Wonderboy - the bonuses don't reset at the end of a game, meaning you can fix it so you get the highest bonus points at the start of a new game - this is impossible to do on the first credit when the game is turned on.

No it was not common BITD to switch a machine off, in fact, the arcade I went to would crack the shits big time if you messed with the power under the machine.

These multiple credit issues (some games will even play differently if you add 2 credits then begin) is why sites such as Twin Galaxies and Retro Uprising insist that all scores being submitted are a single credit only and the game must be hard reset (power cycled off and then on) prior to a score being accepted. It ensures a level playing field as much as is possible.

Bubble Bobble could've been manipulated big time by playing multiple games without a reset. Everything you do in that game adds to an invisible counter which eventually causes certain items to appear. These counters carry over from game to game. Set up something good, kill off the game and start a new game with that feature ready to be awarded on the first stage of a new game. Even the initials you enter can have an effect on the next game. And no I didn't exploit this. Would've needed to dig out an FAQ I printed out back before AA even existed to do some studying which as we all know is not the done thing in MGL.

We're not playing for bloody sheep stations. :lol

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback.

There are many interesting points of view on the topics.

However where a majority did not agree to a change, that change will not be implemented ...

MGL 21 will be a hidden favourites competition, scoring under the percentage system with 8 games over 9 weeks.

Looking at the requests for popular games and more new games to be played, it will be 4 games by most votes plus 4 games never played before in the MGL. PM nominations sent to me and games released one at a time. OK

Some wanted to stream and have fun during the two weeks of game play. For that arcade feel, building interest, sharing knowledge and building the community, no rule will be created to restrict or stop streaming. Quite the opposite, enjoy it.

Watching other people play is also learning and sharing tips. Many players at AA have played many of these games before and have experience and knowledge of many games. This includes watching inps on MARP/TG/RU previously, looked at Youtube games for interest, watched live streams around the world and read strategies of the games. This has helped them to improve and become a better player plus develop a deeper understanding and appreciation of the games. New players just taking up gaming or not as experienced should have the same opportunity. Learn as fast as you want, you choose. No rule will be created to restrict or stop learning as fast as you want and sharing tips.

A score submission must be a single game with no continues. This is a current rule and does not change.

Regarding always resetting the game each game play, this will be posted against the game only when it is needed. Bubble Bobble comes to mind where this is needed, but all other games you do not need to do this (and waste time for EVERY single game EVERY time for 9 weeks EVERY MGL. Plus cab players turning off and on the machine EVERY game EVERY time is not practical.)

Regarding do we play default dips or TG, not enough votes were received to change to TG settings. Please note the TG scoreboard is not up now and Champow and other scoreboards do not have all the TG settings posted. So in this MGL we may have found playing at default dips anyway.

I'll open the nominations thread today. This will have the rules and a place for you guys to discuss games.

Please read the nominations thread with the rules before you nominate.

(I will clear my mailbox so I can receive your PMs)

MGL21 starts in 5 days ...

:)