Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

KeyWiz Problem at windows 7 startup

My mame cab that I had in perfect order for years, had hard drive failed so I had to rebuild everything from scratch.

I am using win 7 so that could be part of the issue but not going to win xp at this stage as I spend about 4 days getting everything to work,

The problem I am having is that keywiz will bring up a fail to load message at startup, and once I do the connection manually it works. So for some reason it does not like it when running at startup. I have use the normal settings in keywiz uploader and then I created a shortcut in the startup folder with the options to load etc, I have played with the msconfig startup options and nothing. I also disable the virus scanner etc.

'thanks for your help in advance.

• 1 year later...

keywiz startup issues -> Help requested

hey,

new user to this forum, looks great , wish id seen it b4 i started my cab project

anyhow, onto business....

my box is running win7 x64 and is running fine, though i cannot remove the splash screen. if i use the "3w7.exe /S" it will fail the flash during bootup.

if i remove the /S , the flash process with be successful, but afaik the splash cannot be moved off-screen, nor can it have items placed in front of it.

ive built a simple script to dim the screen to black for 12 seconds, which for the most part hides the splash . but id prefer to run an animation on bootup instead.

my animation is set to run at front always, but it seems the keywiz app has priority over my script.

many thanks in advance,

Dam0

• Administrators

Why are you flashing (what I assume is a key config) at startup each time? Even the eco version is mame defaulted and supports programmed definitions. I only ask as it makes no sense to flash it at startup unless you're not using the default config and it loses it custom config at power down.

Alternatively try this instead for your shortcut command:

START /MIN

This will start it minimised instead? Worth a shot anyway.

Also in Windows 7 you can set the properties of the shortcut to minimised.

Cheers,

Brad

thanks for the tips Brad,

ill give them a shot in a few mins

i need a very custom keymap, as ive built the "keyboard" to be platform specific, with some 20 or so buttons. and not essentially using a conventional MAME type frontend.

as for the why flash, the application runs on boot, unless i change the physical file location each boot cycle - cant stop it, but then again, i cant get it to stay in NV ram on the wiz? is it even possible to lock in one custom keymap thats perminant?

thanks, ill report back,

Dam0

changed the "run" command from registry, to add the /S = flash Fails

changed the run ckd to "start /MIN etc = flash fails

removed "run" from registry, created *.bat with same command = flash fails .

it seems to me, that unless the splash screen has focus, then the flash with fail:-(

D.

• Administrators

Hmm just had a thought. You could trick it by installing a fake second monitor then moving the app to the second screen.

It will run there each time them and you won't see it.

Cheers,

Brad

already thought of that one...

the flash window has no "handles" to move it with.

and if you habve minimised, it complains on mouse over about window cannot be moved while in progress

**SOLVED

1) remove "RUN" command from registry

2) create the *.bat to open the flash tool with parms " /S /P "profile name" /A" -> Note space at start of "",

Note also-> remove /L from parms

3) set the *.bat to "START /HIGH *.bat"

thanks for all the help Brad

D.

2 x ways that ive tried are;

windows 7 or higher you can simply set a second display in display properties.

but the method that ive used is using autohotkey to move items to a pixel position that is off screen. as i have discovered, not all windows like to be moved out of focus though.

Dam0

• 8 months later...

i can confirm, that trying to playback a video over the top of the keywiz flasher will result in the keyflasher timing out and therefore not performing the custom flash.(loss of focus = keywiz failure every time)

for now, this particular build is operational, and ive sent it to my uncles where it will live, getting much use.... hopefully.

ended up simply letting the keywiz app run its coarse, but instead having ahk fade the screen to black for a period, then to fade back to full brightness etc, but which stage the "Front End" had opened up and ready for business.

D.