Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

AirCon advise - Trouble shooting

Well,

Let just say I'll most likely never get a Carrier Aircon again with the history I've had with my ducted Sundowner. I think for the 9 years I've had it, only one summer has it not broken down.

So putting it out there to see if someone knows how to troubleshoot the current problem.

The outside unit turns on, but the unit inside of the roof that pushes the air out is no longer turning on (was this morning).

I've tried putting the fan on auto and also to "on" but the fan is not turning on.

Anyone know if there's a breaker switch on the unit itself before I go and cook myself in the roof cavity?

Cheers

I also have a Carrier and it is without doubt the biggest piece of crap. I had one local authorised Carrier dealer give up trying to repair it before Carrier sent out their own techs to solve the problems.

Almost the same here.

I had 3 claims under warranty. Last Under Warranty claim I actually rang around and until I got a person at head office in Melbourne (think it was Melbourne) that was totally surprised how I got hold of him. But after speaking to him, he new of the fault and had it fixed.

Mind you, this has put a end to the problem of it breaking down when it was hot!?.

But other different issues have arise.

This being the latest.

Take the cover off the outside unit

There is most probably a circuit breaker in there because the wires from the outside unit to the inside unit are smaller and need a smaller circuit breaker.

Very common on a lot of ducted systems.

Dave

I hung up my fridgy gauges a few years back, but being a sundower (ACRAP) it has more than likely activated the lock-out relay.

First thing to try is cycling the power to de-energise the relay. The main cause of this fault is HP during the warmer weather and I can't remember exactly, but you should see a green transducer near the compressor with a red button on top (reset this). If your unsure PM me and I will give you my mobile number to hopefully assist more.

Keech

Can't quite see in the photo, but is the yellow tag out on the overload?? if so push the blue button and cycle the power. Unless you're really confident with electricity there isn't much you can do. can you post a picture of the wiring diagram??

Looks like there is an overload on that contractor. Looks like a sprecher and shurr brand. It can be reset. But it trips for a reason. Normally a reset will trip for slight over current such as bearings failing etc. in air cons, I don't know. Reset it once only perhaps. Repeated resetting and tripping will cause an upstream fuse to blow or a motor to burn out.

Good luck. Also happy to offer elec advise by mobile. Pm me if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys.

I pushed the blue button and cycled the power.

The outside unit works but not the fan inside the roof.

I'll open it up the outside unit again as I think this is where I saw a manual with the schematics.

I'll scan this and upload it.

I may pm either of you keech and dezbaz if no luck later on....

Thanks for the info Wiked.

Mine has had a fair few things done, a SoftStarter added, changes to the fan so it runs at a higher rpm, Comfort Zone II controller, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, still no luck. Not really sure what can be reset?

I've pressed in the blue button while it was off then turned the unit on, still same situation.

I've uploaded a better pic of the internals, could not find a schematic unfortunately

http://sdrv.ms/1l5apF1

The Aircon has many timers and phase rotation relays, fuses, temperature control boards, a contactor and a relay

Without a schematic, we would be guessing.

May be best to call in the experts buddy :)

The Aircon has many timers and phase rotation relays, fuses, temperature control boards, a contactor and a relay

Without a schematic, we would be guessing.

May be best to call in the experts buddy :)

Yeah I am with Dez.... without the wiring diagram your just guessing and even if you do have one I highly doubt the tech would have updated the wiring diagram after installing the soft starter etc.

Best of luck mate, but let us know if you need anything else

No worries.

Appreciate the help.

I actually went up the raod where there's two air con veichles parked outside a house, C2C and Carseldine air!.

So I knocked on the door and asked if they do cashies, they do!...

Both are brothers, the one that deals with Carrier mostly was out currently, and coincidently had just fixed a ducted unit with the same symptoms as mine.

Hopefully they can fix mine and not to many $$$.

Will update to let you know how it goes!.

No worries.

Appreciate the help.

I actually went up the raod where there's two air con veichles parked outside a house, C2C and Carseldine air!.

Both are brothers, the one that deals with Carrier mostly was out currently, and coincidently had just fixed a ducted unit with the same symptoms as mine.

Great news.

It would be interesting to know what it is, if you don't mind :)

No worries.

Appreciate the help.

:rolleyes

One of those two is the company who gave up on my system and admitted to me they had no idea. Good luck, you will need it if you get the blokes I had. As useless as tits on a bull.

Well luck was on my side.

One of the guys from Carseldine air who is just 5 mins away from me came down and did his diagnosing.

Turns out to be a relay in the unit on the outside. He explained to me on how it works, interestingly he didn't have a spare and bypassed the relay (did a loop basically)

Unit turns on, but he thought doing this when turning the aircon off, would not turn off the fan in the roof cavity. Well it also turned off.

Few more tests to ensure all is ok.

We going to leave it how it is, and if any issues get the relay replaced

Otherwise pretty happy and was charged $50. He was here for about an hour so can't complain !..

Also the schematics, can't believe this are on the inside the of the corner piece I had to take off to get to the components of the outside unit ! doh...