Thread: Limiting credits in MAME?

State
    Illawarra NSW Australia
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)

Limiting credits in MAME?

Alright, time to put the thinking cap on...

I still havent installed a coin mech in my otherwise complete cab. I was finally about to do it this weekend... but...

The purpose of putting in coin mechs is for authenticity, but I had also hoped that it would stop the kids from putting in unlimited credits as they tend to do with the Mame shortcuts. The problem is, with 20c coin mechs its not like we have a houseful of them and I dont want to limit the amount of games they can play when their friends come over... which will inevitably lead to an 'open door' with the same 20c pieces cyling over and over (again: unlimited credits).

So... I was thinking of putting two of the credit buttons (like the ones ozstick is selling) in my little 'admin panel' below the keyboard drawer and above the coin door. Here's the tricky question though:

Can anyone think of any software or hardware ways to limit the amount of credit pulses that can be sent in a row either for a set period of time or some other condition. Preferably the maximum amount of credits could be adjusted too. Hardware wise I imagine it would require some sort of circuit that allows 5 pulses but has to be somehow 'reset' to allow anymore.

I may still install a coin mech for novelty value, but since it may not be the primary credit mechanism... I was thinking of getting a coin mech that takes american quarters... has anybody seen them for sale in Aus?
    My Projects

State
    Townsville, North Qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    i have a single 20c comapritor wired to my mame cab. i wired it to both player one and player 2 credits on the ipac.
    in a lot of games a single 20c coin registers 2xcredits, one for each player.
    i took a 10 dollar note in to a bank and asked for it to be changed in to 20 cent pieces. i recycle the 20 cent pieces. trust me, the kids play a ton of games before i open the cabinet again to recycle the coins. the kids even sometimes put a few extra 20 cent coins in that they find at the school yard or from their pocket money
    Ubuntu User #16304 Linux User #450903 rc forums ultimaterc.com looking for cabinet plans?click here pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on auto-magically? click here
    if your new to electronics and want to learn more, click here **how to attach images to posts click here** my youtube channel

State
    Illawarra NSW Australia
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)

Yeah that was my original idea... but having a $10 pile of 20c pieces next to the cabinet really isnt much different to letting them add as many as they like.

Other than just telling them off repeatedly, I'd like to somehow limit the credits per game so that they're forced to do it the right way... if they're not actually losing money by playing bad then they dont try as hard...
    My Projects

State
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    give them 5 coins each a day, keep the door locked, once there gone there gone, hide the bag of 20 cent pieces and if friends come over bring the bag out lol easy fixed..

State
    Strathpine,Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Heres my coin mech , credit buttons

I use the electronic coin mech that is found at ozstick , well it was , but they have discontinued it.

All you have to do is insert whatever coin u want to be as the "credit" inside it , and it will give u credits upon that shape coin.

State
    Croydon, VIC
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    331 Post(s)
    Hmmmm, what to do?

It's difficult, because in a way you are contradicting yourself - you don't want to limit their credits but you don't want it to be unlimited!

You could always put a toggle switch inside the cab that "turns on" a credit button, that way when friends come around you switch it to "free play" so they don't have to drop a coin in the slot. When their friends leave you open up the cab and flick the switch back off.

A simple SPST switch from the local electronics shop would do it and just wire it up in line with the ground wire for the Coin button.

Cheers,
    Chris

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmworking247 View Post
    I may still install a coin mech for novelty value, but since it may not be the primary credit mechanism... I was thinking of getting a coin mech that takes american quarters... has anybody seen them for sale in Aus?
    Check both Excellentcom and the BYOAC forums. Both are good sources for custom arcade tokens.

State
    Croydon, VIC
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    331 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
    Heres my coin mech , credit buttons
    I use the electronic coin mech that is found at ozstick , well it was , but they have discontinued it.

All you have to do is insert whatever coin u want to be as the "credit" inside it , and it will give u credits upon that shape coin.
    Hey Adam, are you happy with your Coin Buttons??

Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dmworking247 View Post
    Just buy one of my $25 jobbies - the CM03. They are easily adjusted to take any coin, as long as it is round!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by OzStick; 18th May 2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

State
    Strathpine,Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    They look great !!!!

State
    Illawarra NSW Australia
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OzStick View Post
    Hmmmm, what to do?

It's difficult, because in a way you are contradicting yourself - you don't want to limit their credits but you don't want it to be unlimited!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Thats not quite what I meant... I mean I want them and their friends to be able to play/try as many games as they like, as many times as they like... but not keep credit feeding the same 'turn' at a game.

Eg... play bubble bobble, maximum 5(?) credits ($1) between them. If they exit and enter another game... they can put a max of 5 credits to that.
    My Projects

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information