Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Proposed relaxing of the PAUSE rule?

Proposed relaxing of the PAUSE rule?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Proposed relaxing of the PAUSE rule?

• NO
    • YES
    • I admit to doing it sometimes anyway as it wasn't really cheating.

Here is a RULE CHANGE that I would like to suggest to see if it is popular or not. Personally I would like to see a relaxation of the PAUSE RULE.

For the following reasons I think pausing could be OK in our MGLs.

1. We are not and never will be recognized scores in the wider community.

2. Pausing usually is of no advantage in actual game play (If it is in a particular game we can say it's not allowed for that one)

3. Most of us are family people playing at home with distractions such as the phone, tea time and kids wanting something.

I think people should still try to play without pausing and keep play real as it was BITD, but if a pause was used because of the distractions of life it could be stated in the score posting and accepted as being OK, or not OK depending on the game.

So I don't think this relaxation would over complicate things, and would be inline with the relaxed trusting atmosphere of MGLs.

What do others think?

I didn't cast a vote because my opinion is neither of the three options :lol

I guess using pause as a way to keep a good game going when other life issues get in the way is probably alright, using pause because you really want to take a break is not alright. Trouble is drawing the line at what is okay and what is not. I'll just pause and watch the last 2 overs of the cricket (and give myself a nice rest).

We play on the honor system as it is - best to stick to no pausing allowed, if people want to cheat/pause/savestate they will do it anyway :)

I personally believe it shouldn't be allowed as BITD you couldn't do it so the MGL should be as "real life" as possible. Having said that I understand that if your 2 year old is about to fall head first off the couch and you pause to possibly avoid a nasty injury to them then hey, there's more to life than MGL!

And I realise that some of you guys actually last more than 10 minutes on a game (unlike me haha) so to lose a high score opportunity at the hour mark for the sake of a trivial interruption that needs your attention is pretty harsh... So although I voted NO I reckon if you pause and it doesn't give you an advantage then it's all good - does that make me a hypocrite LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

We play on the honor system as it is - best to stick to no pausing allowed, if people want to cheat/pause/savestate they will do it anyway :)

Savestate??? OMG that's just NOT ON that one! I mean pausing would rearely give you an advantage but saving... No way!

BTW I can't do any of these things as my cab has the keyboard tucked away in the cabinet. By the time I find and hit p I'd have lost a life/crashed/whatever for sure haha.

No, No and No.

No Pausing, as pausing can be tantamount to cheating.

Scores set on MGL can be submitted to Twin Galaxies, and in fact have been done in the past... WHEN IT WAS UP AND RUNNING AND SOMEWHAT REPUTABLE!!

Billy Mitchell would cry into his Chilli Sauce to see this suggestion...

I can understand people saying no..............to further explain my situation here is another example from my life........I'm not away at work, yay I can play a game, too busy in the morning with chores, then go for a bike ride, pick kid up from school and do stuff with / for him. Then 5pm rolls around and I have everything done and some time to play while wife cooks tea, if it's a game that will take me over an hour to get a PB or top score on then I may as well not start because I will have tea at 6pm. There are very limited times in the day / night when I possibly could play for more than 1hr without any interruption, so that means I get a crack at an MGL score maybe only a couple of times while that game is being played, hardly worth my while being in it. If I can pause I can at least start a game before tea and finish it after, allowing me to have a game each day I am home, which is still only 50% of the time.

Others are bringing up TG......yeah I would not expect TG to accept pausing, but we are not TG, I think Billy Mitchell would recognize that we are a small group of retro gamers who play an informal comp and would think it was a fair suggestion. Save States are totally different, that would be cheating in a comp, as would continues etc etc.

Anyway if it gets voted out then fair enough, I just wanted to suggest it as I know it would benefit me and I thought others might be the same, all good :D

PS I think those who pick the third option should be included as a YES.

So that's 5 NO and 4 YES so far......fairly close.

Most of my lack of submissions have been based on the fact i couldn't get a long enough moment to myself to even attempt to improve, shmups comp is a prime example. Between my 5 kids, my wife, work and trying to get a new venture up and running; for a nice informal comp a pause option would theoretically be a welcome addition

I voted yes but giving it further thought it would take away 'something'. That 'clock' element, or the bloke watching over the shoulder would be gone. I suppose you need to understand the priorities of parents to see why a pause option would be preferable.

It is a comp based on honesty so why not allow pausing but apply a % penalty or simply and acknoledgement of 'yeh i had to pause X times' when used against the submitted score?

Submitting TG scores from MGL is fine, you adhere to another level of criteria for a TG run so it far surpasses the requirements of this friendly.

my games don't last long enough to worry about pausing :(

By the way will you join us in MGL 20?

It would be great if you could join in on the fun.

You may surprise yourself with a little practice and patience, you may play really well as many have by playing in the MGL ... :035:

- - - Updated - - -

No, No and No.

Do we have a yes, yes and yes that you will play in MGL 20?

It's the big 20.

:)

For me I would say Pausing is a no if it's to benefit your game.(Take a break, make it easier to see what's coming next etc)

If it's because your kid is trying to squeeze in between you and the control panel for some love and attention because you've ignored him trying to climb the MGL ladder then I think it's justified.

Quite often my lad pulls the plug out while playing which is always a nice surprise!

I think the rule will need to stay as is, there's too many possible reasons out there.

sairuk seems to think the same as me, yes pausing detracts from the REAL arcade, but I can only wish I was playing in a real arcade and for real world records. I don't think people should pay a penalty for pausing, but I don't think it should be used to help in scoring. I think if it is needed occasionally it should be stated in the scoring submission, most don't think it's needed, so they will not have to use it. The few that do need it could explain if they do...eg scored 40k but had a quick pause when my kid fell off his scooter in the driveway.

Yes there are too many scenarios to cover, but guidelines could be set, such as......

NOT ALLOWED TO PAUSE FOR

Felt uncomfortable

Sore hands

Couldn't concentrate anymore

Wanted a rest

Needed a piss / drink / crap etc

^Hey just HTFU

POSSIBLY ACCEPTABLE

Kid fell off scooter

Phone rang for second time and it might be important

Old friend from out of town knocked on the door

Wife said tea is ready NOW!!!! (although mine will wait if I say I have a near PB, but can only hold it off for awhile, and the kids complain if I do that too often ;))

As a part time MGL player, mainly due to lack of time by the time we get the kids down for the night it's usually around 8-830 leaving only a few hours to play, catch up on tv shows and all the rest of life stuff, it can be hard getting the time to squeeze in a score.

Pausing a game I find is more detrimental then helpful as it breaks your rhythm, often I come back to a game and my mojo is gone, soon after unpausing I'm looking at the game over. This is in general practice, not MGL gaming mind you.

It does take away some of that arcade game magic, in the moment stuff but I can't see it destroying the MGL, after all it is a relaxed comp on the honor system rules. If it allows more players to get game time and post scores I think it is worthwhile.

Edited by knight76

Pausing a game I find is more detrimental then helpful as it breaks your rhythm,

I actually meant to mention this as well. It is completely detrimental to my game playing, even tho i'm not a big scorer when that rhythm is there, it is there.

TBH, I hadn't actually thought of pausing to review the game screen for an advantage before .... interesting that you would want to do this for a friendly run, very handy in planning/documenting strategies though.

Acknowledgement on submissions is the first step, score is recorded as x,xxx,xxx(x)

A penalty system may well be implemented as per below,

- Submit and acknowledge

- Score recorded as 1,000,000,000(x), where (x) is the number of pauses

- If the next submitted score is within a 1-2% threshold of score total then the (x) score is demoted

While I'd like to have the option to pause and attend to family, i can't think of a clean way to implement it.

NB: I use MGL to achieve PB's only, that score table helps to show me the gap only. And I find MGL promotes discussion around strats per game which is really quite interesting, more so than the PB chase in some instances.

Agreed with camaro. No one would know if a pause was used anyway. I play 99% of games at Retro Uprising, who allow pauses. In saying that it is something I do try and avoid if I am playing for score.

We are all honest here, so if someone pauses Im sure it was for the right reasons.