Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Tamiya Sand Scorcher

Yeah, I just bought me one (",)

Who here (unless they are under 40) didn't covet these when they were kids? Since Tamiya rereleased it in 2009, I've been on again, off again thinking about it. But I've just bought one as a reward for myself.

Thing is, what do you guys recommend for batteries? Seems to be a bit contentious when I google it. I know at least one of you guys bought one (I was looking at the thread recently actually).

At the moment it seems something like this might be the go:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321187306272?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

And then I'll need a charger, and apparently a safety cut off switch thingo since the ESC that comes with the kit isn't suitable for LiPo...

Thoughts?

Ah yes, you bought it from the tamiya shop, right? Geez, you sure don't rush things, do you? :D

Yeah, Tamiya in Singapore. I actually put it in a metal cupboard then soon after dumped a bunch of pins in front of it forgetting that I had put the sand scorcher in there. I haven't got around to moving the pins yet to get it out!

Ahh memories,

I had the original Baja bug which was awesome fun to build, with the oil filled dampeners etc. Much to my surprise other kids a school were happy to pay me to build theirs for them too. I ended up building a few hornets and some others I can't even remember now..

Ahh the 80's rocked as a kid.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, while waiting for the kit to arrive, I've gone a bit nuts on extra goodies. So far I've bought a set of sealed bearings, a spare pair of rear tyres and a spare body kit. And just now after a bit of research I discovered a spare part for a cheapie car that might be useful:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBNZN

At only about 12 bucks with freight it was worth a punt, especially after further searching turned up someone else who tried the same thing.

So now all I need is the actually car to put all this shit in :D

Well at this stage I can't recommend Tamiya Shop to anyone. Just checked the tracking number. It came to Australia, sat in some depot for a week and is now back in Hong Kong :realmad:

I should say I don't know if it's their fault yet. But if it sat here for a week, I suspect they put the wrong address on it. If not them, then I blame DHL...

edit 17/12: Tamiya Shop not really to blame...

Edited by danny_galaga

Latest is that Hong Kong Post is waiting for Australia Post to tell them why it was sent back :rolleyes

This will takes weeks apparently. All excitement for this is now gone. Whatever the outcome, I am going to cancel the order and buy one from someone on ebay instead, in January...

Here's the kicker- I got SMRT today and checked the tracking number at work, since I work at an Aust Post delivery centre. It is looking like it was ACTUALLY IN THE OFFICE at one stage! I might have walked past the stupid thing! It then got transferred to another branch for some unknown reason. I've put in a complaint/query to find out why the **** someone would do that. It may have been a lazy DHL courier, or a lazy Aust Post courier. It won't bring it back, but at least the query will make the driver sweat for a minute.

Meanwhile I've received more spare parts for it! Maybe I should just build it from spare parts :D

Sorry to hear the screw around you are having.

I've got a few Tamiya RC vehicles, some orginal some Re-Releases.

If you need good suppliers I can certainly put you in touch with those that I deal with, never had an issue.

here's some of my collection.

Tamiya%203.JPG?psid=1.............................................. Tamiya%204.JPG?psid=1

And yep, have a Sand Scorcher

Tamiya%201.JPG?psid=1

Tamiya%202.JPG?psid=1

Edited by Scotty T

Well, sheeeeeeeiiiiiiit....

Latest is that when I entered my address into their thingo, it condensed it for some reason, cutting out the suburb. Now my address is a P.O box, and the post code narrows it down to only two post offices in the same suburb. So technically not a complete address. But there's absolutely no reason Aust Post couldn't email both post offices to see which one it goes to, especially since if it was given to the right person at the delivery centre that I work at, they would recognise the P.O box series as being one or the other without even having to contact them. And of course if it was given to someone at my delivery centre, where I work, it's almost certain they would say "Hey, that's for Danny!". So now it's MY time to bitch about Aust Post! I'm going to get the manager to check it out tomorrow, see if he can't give someone a reaming. It won't help me though, since it was technically an incorrect address, and therefore I will still have to wear the cost of postage.

I retract all the bad vibes towards Tamiya Shop (although it would be nice if they fix up that address thingo). I emailed them to say as much too. I am at least calm about having to pay now. Shitty that I do though because as a postie, I am constantly given smaller parcels with incomplete addresses to see if I can match up a name, sometimes holding them for a week, looking through for instance a hundred or so names in a set of units each day because someone forgot to put the unit number on, yet some dopey contractor didn't even give it one seconds thought, for a choice of just two destinations and immediately transferred to a branch that doesn't even have anything to do with anything! And then the dopes at that branch didn't put two and two together and say "Hey, this is the post code for Stones Corner/Greenslopes, not East Brisbane." :rolleyes

But waddaya do?

Oh, love the collection, Savage! Beside the Scorcher, I also coveted Vanessas Lunchbox back in the day. And I think it was called Fast Attack Vehicle?

• 4 weeks later...

Wow Danny, what a PITA saga you have had to endure :( It'll all be forgotten one day though mate.

Savage, awesome collection mate, bloody awesome. Many of the vehicles in you cabinet I had at some stage BITD. Shame they all got busted up and tossed at some stage. The Subaru brat was my fav, then the wild one.

I just bought my 3 boys 2wd buggies for Christmas and they have been having a blast. New era cars, not Tamiya. ESX Boost buggies. They are very cool. Fast, agile and strong. They have taken a beating and keep on coming. I just picked up today (posted t me from Tamiya) A Sand Rover for my Daughter who has been upset that the boys got a car and she didn't. Even though she "hates"boys toys, a RC car would be OK ;)

Don't suppose anyone with some airbrush skills would like to girly this white plastic shell up for her? :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I've got my eye on a new toy (full size) so I think I'll sell all the spares I bought including the body. I'll put something up in the for sale section, if anyone here is interested.

Here:

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/64635-Tamiya-Sand-Scorcher-spare-body-kit-(new)-plus-extra-spares?p=807113#post807113

Edited by danny_galaga

• 2 months later...