Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

yet another ipod touch 4 drama ... calling all ipod or wifi experts

my daughters wifi on her ipod stopped working. the ipod still "sees" all other wifi networks in the area including our 2, but wouldnt connect and just sits there trying to connect endlessly, so i checked all the basics as follows

rebooted wifi router (noted all 3 other ipods plus laptop and tablets still were working ok) but nothing

tried to connect to our other network, nothing

forget network and started again, nothing

reset network settings on ipod, nothing

restored ipod, nothing

updated to 6.1.3 (which i hadnt wanted to do), nothing

did all the above yet again after updating, nothing.

made it go completely and decidedly flat as a tack with no life left in it at all as some webpages suggested this works, nothing

it appears that it will not auto connect to anything, so after scratching my head that didnt have hair anyway for a couple of days and looking at so many google pages, before i took it to a service outlet for repair (which was probably going to cost as much as a new ipod if it had a hardware fault which i thought it may have had) i tried this morning to connect manually to the router and voila! she has a connection in the house again and all is well.

i assume (not being a wifi tech-head) that as soon as the ipod either has a conflicting ip or the router is rebooted via the usual power outages here in the hills, that its (and me) is likely to be back to square one? it would also suggest that public wifi like at the library or maccas when we travel may have the same hiccup in that it seems to not be auto-connecting on its own.

why would this be (yes mike, apple crapple :realmad: ) and how can i rectify it if possible or am i assuming too much before i try public networks that its not going to auto-connect?

its 16 months old and hasnt missed a beat, never been mistreated or dropped/damaged and its the only one out of 4 ipod/iphones that dont work aok and the only one out of 7 wireless devices that dont connect as they should all of a sudden (and we usually only have 1 or 2 on wireless at any time, so i dont think its from a conflicting IP address over a few days after all ive done inbetween).

Edited by Mr Pubstuff

did that several times over a few days .. did everything more than once in my list of what i did and didnt do it (forget network done maybe 10 times before i updated the softwate to 6.1.3 which was my last resort just in case a previous jailbreak had gone astray).

ive just tried to connect automatically again right now and still wont do it. if its on my list of things done, it hasnt worked which is why i gave up trying to find a posted answer online and tried here for maybe a why :blink:

So does it manualy connect to the network without issue every time?

yep (as long as i dont choose a conflicting ip address)

- - - Updated - - -

Try the options in this thread starting with the technique in post #6

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1356643

tried that, but when i connect to safari, i dont get a little box with network options come up, just a default window that tells me it cant open the page as its not connected to the internet. regardless i went ahead and went back to network settings, turned it off, turned it back on and once again, i see all networks but dont get a connection, just the neverending fan. i had to go back to manual to get a connection.

- - - Updated - - -

Ask Crapple for a full refund as the goods are "not fit for the purpose intended".

If they refuse - sell them to me and I will get a refund.......;)

hey mike, i would have missed your apple lovin' input :) i dont think they are gonna give me a refund after 16 months, even if i can still find the receipt which i think i know where it is, but im gonna get laughed outta the store after wasting hours going into town :(

hey mike, i would have missed your apple lovin' input :) i dont think they are gonna give me a refund after 16 months, even if i can still find the receipt which i think i know where it is, but im gonna get laughed outta the store after wasting hours going into town :(

....I wouldn't bet on it - there is NO time LIMIT to "goods not suitable" - they refund or risk the wrath of fair trading - simple as that. Gone are the days when they could foist any old crap on unsuspecting consumers and Crapple (and a few others) are finding this out the expensive way.....

yep (as long as i dont choose a conflicting ip address)]

OK, I was meaning manual connection with dhcp. Not manual ip setting.

So just to clarify: Manual connection (With DHCP) DOES connect every time without issue.

Next Question:

How many WiFi network points do you have running and are they the same SSID?

Just a suggestion, maybe try reserving a specific IP address in the router for the ipod. Then manually configure the network settings in the ipod to match those reserved in the router.. Also set the routers logging to 'on' to review what is happening between the router & ipod when a connection is attempted.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

i cant enter manual settings into the DHCP tab as it wont accept any input (but does display some weird ass ip and subnet if i turn it off and allow it to do its thing), but i can enter the settings into static, which then shows in DHCP tab and it works every time as long as im not choosing a conflicting IP address being used by one of the other, but thats only an issue if the ipod is off, which it isnt so it works good as gold. i hope that makes sense as im no wifi/ip wizz.

i have 2 wifi networks points as such, but one is a repeater for the main wifi router. im not sure if thats going to make any difference as nothing has changed on any machine (2 other ipods, 2 tablets, 1 iphone and 3 laptops) as they all work exactly as they have been, except for taryns ipod which wouldnt connect for the first time last sunday morning, but does if i punch in static IP settings.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a suggestion, maybe try reserving a specific IP address in the router for the ipod. Then manually configure the network settings in the ipod to match those reserved in the router.. Also set the routers logging to 'on' to review what is happening between the router & ipod when a connection is attempted.

i have no idea how to do that on the repeater, which is what we all use in the main rooms of the house (as we have 18" thick walls built in 1886, so no decent signal gets thru the place from the main router) but i did try to connect to the main router, which is only having the repeater signal from it and still cant connect to it either via autoconnect, but can via static manual settings :(

please let me know if im explaining things wrong or missing something :)

Just a question, is the router a Netgear? We had a netcomm for years until it went up in smoke and so we bought a new router (Netgear) and we had great issues with this with the apple Ipad, Ipod and Wii.

turned out that the packet size that the router was sending was to big for the apples to understand and would not connect properly, (im at work so cant give you the exact size used) but its in the wireless section and its the packet size, changed this to the next one down and bingo all working again.

So you can see if that works for you.

the router is a netgear. its been working with all the other devices aok for the past 3 years, still does except that my daughters ipod which has been connected fine for 16 months now doesnt, but every other device still works, so i dont think its the router. the repeater is a netgear also, but as per the above, everything still works except for my lass's ipod, so i dont think its that either or im assuming (i know i should never assume as i somethimes make an ass of u and me ass/u/me) that the other 2 ipods and iphone, plus laptops and tablets would also have an issue somewhere along the line.

im going to take her ipod to work tomorrow and let my boss, who is a bit of a wifi/network nerd have a squiz and see if he can connect it to the work network. if he can, i guess the issue lies here, perhaps with the router/repeater, but if not, i guess its the ipod and i may have to look for the invoice and pay a visit to an apple store as i think kmart (where it came from) will just dismiss me as out of warranty, but i dont think i'll have any luck with apple either, but who knows (apart from mike .. hello mike :) )

ps: DG834G router, WN2000RPT repeater. been meaning to update the router at some stage to more modern faster jobbie, but it does what i need to do on the wireless network in the house so i havent worried too much about it and just let it die at some stage perhaps.

late note: i noticed that when i use DHCP for auto, it comes up with my router and repeater as an IP address of 169.254.47.145 and i have no idea where that comes from, as mine, perhaps like many as default, is 192.168.0.1 as the router address/dns, but i use IP of 192.168.0.5 to connect hers most times, which ive just done and voila.

Edited by Mr Pubstuff

well well, it seems the problem is at home, altho i cant understand how when everything else works ok still. bought it to work and voila, it connects as it should automatically to the new work wifi we just put in (and its an apple system here with all apple repeaters etc), so i will need to take it to somewhere that isnt an apple system i guess to see what happens. my boss said packet size etc will be a pain in the ass for me to setup, so i'll see what else happens elsewhere, perhaps a maccas wifi tomorrow, before i go that way. ta for all info so far :)

I am also using a WN2000RPT to extend my wifi signal in the house and had teething issues with it. Drop outs were a real problem on this unit until I updated the firmware to the current version. The signal can still be a bit flaky but drop outs have reduced considerably. I'm not overly impressed with the WN2000RPT and wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking to buy one - there are much better and more stable products now on the market. I know this doesn't help you solve your problem but it might suggest that there is something 'flaky' with either the repeater and/or the specific Ipod. Are you able to compare the problem Ipod with another Ipod to check connectivity issues with the router (ie - one with the exact same IOS, model, wifi firmware etc.). Also, have you tried allocating the device a specific IP address with the router via the Ipod's MAC address but leave the Ipod on auto for the DHCP setting? (apologies if you have already tried this - was to lazy to go back & check previous postings). If all else fails, invite me over to play some pins and I can have a look at it for you :)

I am also using a WN2000RPT to extend my wifi signal in the house and had teething issues with it. Drop outs were a real problem on this unit until I updated the firmware to the current version. The signal can still be a bit flaky but drop outs have reduced considerably. I'm not overly impressed with the WN2000RPT and wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking to buy one - there are much better and more stable products now on the market. I know this doesn't help you solve your problem but it might suggest that there is something 'flaky' with either the repeater and/or the specific Ipod. Are you able to compare the problem Ipod with another Ipod to check connectivity issues with the router (ie - one with the exact same IOS, model, wifi firmware etc.). Also, have you tried allocating the device a specific IP address with the router via the Ipod's MAC address but leave the Ipod on auto for the DHCP setting? (apologies if you have already tried this - was to lazy to go back & check previous postings). If all else fails, invite me over to play some pins and I can have a look at it for you :)

i have 2 ipods with exactly the same ios/firmware/model and they havent missed a beat, the iphone is also the same ios etc. i havent had any issues with the repeater to date, no dropouts, nothing flaky and all was good in wifi world till last sunday morning when my lass couldnt connect and still it doesnt here on auto. i dont know how to reserve anything on the repeater as yet, i'll wait to see if i can connect hers on other wifi's around the place before i go the next step as i have so many things better to do (like repair a pin, an arcade, 2 rc cars, 1 rc glider and finish building my young blokes slot car set and a ton of work around the place inside and out to name but a few things that are in front of me at present), so if it connects elsewhere, i'll just stick on manual here most likely and spend several seconds occasionally punching in another ip addy or something if it works everywhere else or call an expert over for pinball and help, but of course if i have issues elsewhere, then im gonna maybe have to visit the apple store :(

heres some weird shit and i lost a bet with my boss ....

he said he reckons once i got home it would reconnect, because it had "learnt again" to pickup auto settings.

i told him he used too many magic mushies on his pizza and he bet me 3 beers at the local bierhaus next door (lobethal bierhaus ... best craft brewed beers ive ever had and ive had many from many different places) that it would. i like free beer so i said yes.

i got home and its bloody well connected once again for the first time in nearly a week on auto....

mike, im an apple crapple follower now :)

late note: my boss owes me beers, it was still on static/manual settings. auto still nothing :(

Edited by Mr Pubstuff