Thread: MGL 19 - Game 8 ~ Galaxian ~ [FINISHED]

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1212 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John73 View Post
    Of course, with Japanese programmers constant worrying about how to get a paint roller into games along with goldfish, it's more than possible they were so high on acid that they couldn't design graphics either
    You're right, high on acid maybe, but that technique enabled them to make terrific games ...

Now when's the next Galaxian score coming in?
    RMacauley popped in and disappeared. I don't want to lose anymore Super Mario coins so we will see who's next ...
    Plus, love the flyer for Galaxian - "full color video" - remember Space Invaders before it was white on black if you don't count the cellophane ...
    Any AA member have a dedicated Galaxian machine - they look great?

- - - Updated - - -

No idea about the John73+ account - where is that? on here or MARP? If it's on here, I have you listed as a current reader of this thread as OOO+ - so it must be a MOD thing
    On AA. So you see me with a +, but funny thing is sometimes you have the + and sometimes you don't. Agree to do with mod. I never see myself with a +.
    End of this story, back to Galaxian ...

Ask your friends to play in MGLXLII. Don't procrastinate, participate ...

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2316 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OOO View Post
    Plus, love the flyer for Galaxian - "full color video" - remember Space Invaders before it was white on black if you don't count the cellophane ...
    Looked up Galaxian on KLOV about an hour ago, apparently it was the first game EVER to use full RGB in a game... Pretty impressive for it's time.

I know the first ever arcade game I played was a space invaders type shooter - I was 6 or 7 at the time, so it's possible this was the first game I ever played from memory. I do remember Sprint 2 being one of the first games, but my memory isn't good enough to know which I played first. It was either Sprint 2 or Space Invaders/Galaxian. Galaxian didn't get released until 1979 so if was possibly Space Invaders.

State
    Western Australia
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)
    Hate when you guys put up my favourite games and remind me of how much better you are than me at them.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1212 Post(s)

Looked up Galaxian on KLOV about an hour ago, apparently it was the first game EVER to use full RGB in a game... Pretty impressive for it's time.
    When I saw Galaxian for the first time in the arcade with colour graphics, it was a sensation, compared to all of the black and white games of the past (Pong, Space Invaders, Tank, Sprint 2 etc.)
    And deadset, next to Galaxian when I saw it in the arcade in George St Sydney, was Crush Roller (1981 game)

I know the first ever arcade game I played was a space invaders type shooter - I was 6 or 7 at the time, so it's possible this was the first game I ever played from memory. I do remember Sprint 2 being one of the first games, but my memory isn't good enough to know which I played first. It was either Sprint 2 or Space Invaders/Galaxian. Galaxian didn't get released until 1979 so if was possibly Space Invaders.
    Maybe the game you played first is Sprint 2, released in 1976, and I played that first before Space Invaders released in 1978. Then came Galaxian and then the avalanche of hits just flooded through - excellent times ...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dylzy123 View Post
    Hate when you guys put up my favourite games and remind me of how much better you are than me at them.
    The score isn't everything ... just enjoy gaming!

Ask your friends to play in MGLXLII. Don't procrastinate, participate ...

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2316 Post(s)

Maybe the game you played first is Sprint 2, released in 1976, and I played that first before Space Invaders released in 1978. Then came Galaxian and then the avalanche of hits just flooded through - excellent times ...
    I really can't be sure - I'm near positive the first arcade game I ever played was at the Sale Golf Club (Vic) - I'm positive I wasn't older than 6 or so - so that would have been 1979. They had the game (cocktail cab) next to the pool table (where I got a signed beer coaster from Eddie Charlton).

I played Sprint 2 around about the same time (must have been, because they had some pinball machine and I was too short to see the play field on it) at a place called Sea Spray where we used to go to for holidays every year.

Good times

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dylzy123 View Post
    Are you saying my 5,000 score has you beat?

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Not even close - 259k on Car Action and 100k+ on BnJ Midway. Wanted to leave some incentive for someone to join the fun that is BnJ since there aren't many people playing it these days I did do a 1,000,000 point game on Car Action today, got there and then killed my final cars after 1mil - not sure if I'll submit it

- - - Updated - - -

How much did the tat cost you?

I've always thought about getting one... I think I'd need to be blind drunk before I did it because I'm a complete wuss! Maybe the "skull car" from BnJ for me

I'm not sure how much it was about 7 years ago, under $100 though, if an artist will tattoo you when you are drunk then they are crap and will do a crap job, you bleed more, and if cost is an issue then don't get one either. I chose galaxian not because I think I'm great at it, but because I like it and it's iconic and sorts the REAL retro gamers from the public. Most people will say "Oh a space invaders tat, cool" I just say yeah, but on the very rare occasion someone says hey galaxian (about 3 times ever) then I know they are a gamer

I have not planned my defender tat yet, but WHEN I get 1mill I will start planning straight away
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Brisbane - Wakerley
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    I never gave Galaxian much love in the arcade as there were other games I could get better value for money out of (yes in other words I sucked). I do remember on of the local chicken shops having a faster version (most likely bootleg) with a fuel meter as well that I quite enjoyed while waitning for the chips to cook

When Galaga came out I don't think I went near a Galaxian again for a long time
    "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    715 Post(s)
    RMacauley popped in and disappeared. I don't want to lose anymore Super Mario coins so we will see who's next
    - - - Updated - - -
    I did pop in and out for a few seconds. Things are not great in Rob's world right now.

At 8.20am Thursday morning my Dad passed away very suddenly. He was in the queue at opening time to see his GP (she actually asked to see him before going on leave) and suddenly collapsed. All attempts at reviving him there and at the hospital were unsuccessful.

He'd had heart issues since July 13th which I've posted on here from time to time. 2 heart attacks and having his lungs fill up with fluid once despite no prior history of heart issues. A doctor told him last year he was fit as and should go close to reaching 100.

I will play some Galaxian at some point. As to when I don't know but it will happen. Fairly sure I'm done with Xevious and probably Amidar.

Cheers

Rob

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    My condolences Rob
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Brisbane - Wakerley
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    Sorry about your Dad Rob. My thoughts are with you and your family
    "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information