Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

How to repair Defender Leaf Springs - A day in the life of an arcade tragic.

Rat

Question

A day in the life of an 80's arcade tragic.......

Yesterday I got my chores done and poured a Bourbon and retired to the games room to listen to online 80's radio and play Defender.

All was going well, game of Pinball, couple of games of Defender and a few Bourbons later and my controller started sticking. Pulled the panel up, yep I see the problem, the leaf spring is slightly bent, off to grab some tools. (Nooooo Bourbon and tools don't mix)

Too late, the brittle spring steel snapped, AHHHH, off to the spares box, shit as I though I don't have one of those Fiddled with it and removed the other spring and played a game with it all sloppy, yuck

Off upstairs for more Bourbon and to research, found NOS springs put 4 in cart (Dude you only need one), oh look and some leg plugs for Space Duel (WTF you can't even see them), and some more joystick switch spares (but why you already rebuilt it) then added Priority Mail charge and $100 later I feel better

Today, woke up a bit late, did some proper research over breakfast, went downstairs and grabbed a hacksaw blade and snapped it half so it would fit in my pocket. Rode my bike to a sheet metal fabricator and got him to replicate two springs out of the blade. He charged me $5 and did it while I waited. Off home and installed them, cool that plays well. I would rate as 98.5% authentic feel compared to the originals

And I have some spares coming that I may never need, but spares always make me feel more secure

IMG_20130815_145305.jpg

6 answers to this question

For those interested it was also suggested that the spring steel for packing strapping could be used, make sure you get the right thickness. The NOS parts were ordered from arcadefixit.com

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2