Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 19 - Game 6 ~ Xevious ~ [FINISHED]

It's 7pm on Sunday 3-November-2013.

Score submissions for Game 6 Xevious is now closed.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/Xevious_Grobda_zps0875afdc.gif

The final scoreboard standings are below ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGL19_Game6XeviousSBFinal_zps90e11fe8.png

OOO takes out Game 6 ?

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/XeviousMGL19Winner_zpscca2cd4c.png

Amidar and Galaxian are currently in play, Games 7 and 8 ?

Two tough games to go. I'll update the leaderboard tonight.

:)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is the only downside I guess you'd say to the % scoring system. Blow outs like this do not happen very often, I can live with this though, if someone is insanely better they should be rewarded by taking points off other players.

The downside to the F1 point scoring system in this instance is the OOO could have just posted a 400,000 - or a 1,000,000 playing it safe, to get the max 25 points. There would be zero incentive for him to max the game out - playing a game for over 7 hours deserves a reward. I'm sure Rob would agree that his 2.95% here is more fitting than receiving 20 points to OOO's 25 in the F1 system.

Just a side note to Rob, I didn't post in the Galaxian thread - but my condolences to you also on the loss of your Dad. Stay strong mate, you've got lots of friends here that are happy to help if you need to talk or vent.

Would be interesting to see how the overall scoreboard would of panned out if we used the f1 system...

Either way, well done to OOO, amazing effort.

I believe Fire_Power has done this for at least a couple of past MGL's and apart from a couple of minor places changing hands, it didn't make much difference overall. I'm far too lazy to go back and find the posts where we discussed this, it was probably prior to the start of MGL 18 when this % system was retried - it would have been in the "call for ideas" post if you want to look for it. :)

I think this system that we are using now is interesting, and when you look at the top places, it would be an incentive for the top 3 or four to get the best they can get, just look at xevious, OOO made a huge difference to the score, if they could pull off another great score or two, and the others rest on just coming 2nd in the last couple of games they could be over taken.

Where as if we were using f1 system, they just need to ensure they finish near the top, and not necessarily need to keep bettering their score.

• Administrators
Where as if we were using f1 system, they just need to ensure they finish near the top, and not necessarily need to keep bettering their score.

This is exactly the point I made in favour of the percentage system. Theres incentive to improving your score this way for ALL levels of skill.

brad

This is exactly the point I made in favour of the percentage system. There's incentive to improving your score this way for ALL levels of skill.

On the flip side, there's very little incentive for those at the bottom to improve their score. Even if I played 4 hours a day and somehow managed to quadruple my score I would of scored only a single point extra!.

I found this to be a hard game that I have very little experience with, so I was happy to have someone like OOO max out the score and make the differences between all the other scores almost insignificant.

• Administrators
On the flip side, there's very little incentive for those at the bottom to improve their score. Even if I played 4 hours a day and somehow managed to quadruple my score I would of scored only a single point extra!.

I found this to be a hard game that I have very little experience with, so I was happy to have someone like OOO max out the score and make the differences between all the other scores almost insignificant.

Well of course when a player of OOO's skill submits a score like that we're all screwed. I mean I placed 3rd in that game and I would have shot to 2nd place in the rankings but OOO's score was so huge that it negated my semi-decent score so completely that I've dropped to 5th place.

However if you look at most of the games the percentage system works REALLY well. It only doesn't work very well when you have such a massive jump between 1st and the rest which is not that common.

When you use the other points system I rarely if ever try and improve my score, especially if the leader has such a lead. There is no incentive. With a percentage system every time you submit a higher score, you get more points.

Brad