Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

IMAX 3D Movie "Metallica Through the Never"

I have been waiting for this for awhile and tickets have just been released (in Melbourne at least not sure about the rest of Aus) for the new Metallica movie, it is only showing for one week. I cant vouch for the story line so don't shoot me down, but visually it looks amazing. Metallica have been trying to different arty things to get their music out there lately Lars has talked in depth about moving forward in different mediums etc. Anyways, they have pulled out all their old sets set them up and taken footage with IMAX 3D cameras infront of live audiences and seeing responses written from people that were in the crowd whilst shooting was being undertaken sounds pretty awesome. Here is a little information with the flimsy story line to go with it:

FROM http://www.imaxmelbourne.com.au/movie/metallica_through_the_never_an_imax_3d_experience

Metallica Through the Never 3D will be presented in IMAX DIGITAL

One week only - strictly limited sessions - do not miss this event in IMAX 3D! - Tickets on sale Thursday 8th* August @ 12pm

*tickets were originally planned for release 1st Aug, however the Australian based sub-distributors have asked us to delay for a further week - apologies for any inconvenience caused

The BIGGEST BAND, The BIGGEST SCREEN - 3D HAS NEVER FELT THIS HEAVY!

"IMAX! It doesn't get bigger or cooler than that!" said Lars Ulrich who formed Metallica in 1981 together with James Hetfield. "For four guys in a rock band of average height, to get a chance to unleash their 3D film on IMAX screens the size of buildings across the country is a mind-blowing thought. 'Hey look, Mom, I'm 50 feet tall (finally!)' There is no better way to experience film and when you throw in the spectacle of music and sound this should amount to an unprecedented, unique and truly next level experience."

Starring Metallica, a cast of thousands of their fans and breakout star Dane DeHaan (Chronicle, The Amazing Spider-Man 2), Metallica Through the Never is written and directed by award-winning filmmaker Nimr?d Antal (Predators, Kontroll) and produced by former IMAX film producer Charlotte Huggins (Journey to the Center of the Earth). The film marries groundbreaking footage and editing techniques with a compelling narrative, in which a band crew member (played by DeHaan) is sent out on a mission during Metallica's roaring live set in front of a sold-out arena. While on this mission, he unexpectedly has his life turned completely upside down.

The IMAX release of Metallica Through the Never will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of An IMAX 3D Experience? with proprietary IMAX DMR? (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The crystal-clear images coupled with IMAX's customized theatre geometry and powerful digital audio create a unique environment that will make audiences feel as if they are in the movie.

Tickets go on sale at 12pm today but I was able to purchase them already through here

https://www.venuetickets.com.au/bookings/web_imaxm/web_selectSession.jsp?cinecode=11110704&movcode=1112033956&categ=11

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well what can I say, it was what I expected in terms of being a concert with a flimsy story line going on in the background. Sometimes the story was a little disconnected and didn't feel quite right, but it was easily overlooked by the amazing IMAX concert footage. They had cameras mounded on wires around the stadium, in the crowd, and cameras up close on the stage, it really looked awesome.

I must say I really do not enjoy watching 3D movies at all, they give me eye strain and give me a headache when it is overused and the director has all sorts of things hurtling at you. But this was much different, subtle use of 3D to give depth inside the concert hall made you feel like you were in the crowd. Definitely not as good as going to the concert but the next best thing.

The volume was set loud in the cinema and the concert sounded great. Plenty of bass rumbling your seat, again not as loud as one of their concerts, but loud enough for a cinema.

-----SPOILER ALERT-----

The use of their old sets was great, I have seen some of it live and some of it on concert DVDs but it was good to see it all together, the electric chair and lady justice in particular. The laser show has been expanded from their last death magnetic tour and looked particularly good when combined with the pyrotechnics on the song "one"

The one set that didn't fit was the one used in cunning stunts where a big light tower falls and explodes and a man runs across the stage on fire and paramedics come out to help another injured by the fall. Looks good in a normal concert because you can not tell if it is supposed to be happening, but in a film with fictional parts interwoven into it, it felt a bit lame, I'm sure if you didn't know it was part of a different tour it may be ok, but still doesn't have the same shock effect in a non fictional concert if you get my drift.

Overall if you are a Metallica fan you will love this movie, for it's absolutely amazing concert footage, if nothing else