Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 19 - Game 4 ~ Pooyan ~ [FINISHED]

It's 7pm on Sunday 20-October-2013.

Score submissions for Game 4 Pooyan is now closed.

The final scoreboard standings are below ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGL19_Game4PooyanSBFinal_zpsb9bf2f5d.png

Congratulations to RMacauley for setting a new AA record and winning Game 4.

Also to John73 for a fine 2nd, just edging out Dkong (congrats too on 3rd place) by 9K.

kane and Barra just manage to post their scores before the deadline, and remain eligible for the mystery prize draw at the end of MGL 19.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/PooyanMGL19Winner_zpsa7257ed3.png

Mario Bros and Xevious are currently in play, Games 5 and 6 …

Four games completed, four to go ... half way point. I'll update the leaderboard tonight.

:)

Edited by OOO
Correct sairuk score

Well done Rob.

I was going to play some more, but got sidetracked playing Star Craft II :) I was never going to catch Rob though.

Pooyan added to the massive list of games where I need to download a MARP file to see how the hell people score 1,000,000 on :)

Pooyan added to the massive list of games where I need to download a MARP file to see how the hell people score 1,000,000 on :)

According to TG, there is a leech point in the game. I'll let Rob explain ...

Also at MARP anything goes, and it can include leeching or playing on easier settings, playing with more men than others, using a ridiculous higher rate of fire in shmups and then it is the highest score ...

Then again it can be all legit and the same as TG settings. Problem is it's too hard to check, verify and compare all of the thousands of submissions.

According to TG, there is a leech point in the game. I'll let Rob explain ...

Also at MARP anything goes, and it can include leeching or playing on easier settings, playing with more men than others, using a ridiculous higher rate of fire in shmups and then it is the highest score ...

Then again it can be all legit and the same as TG settings. Problem is it's too hard to check, verify and compare all of the thousands of submissions.

I'm not 100% sure on the leech point but I think it involves camping at the top on the levels where the wolves go down and picking off any rocks thrown or fruit dropped. I've never tried it and it sounds boring as batshit in my opinion. My game for MGL 19 is submitted at MARP under username RJM if anyone wants a look. It plays back using WolfMAME 106.

MARP are very anti leeching and do have special rules on games that can be leeched. While they do seem to prefer default settings if you play TG settings if they're harder (or harder settings by choice) as long as you include that info in your submission you're OK. Easier than default may be a different matter.

I played this game a fair bit back in the day mainly in a deli on Marion Road opposite the Marion Hotel. In those days they always had 2 uprights, 1 tabletop and a pinball. Always good games fairly close to their release date. I learned a lot of classics in that deli. It's a Chinese takeaway now.

• Like 1

I'm not 100% sure on the leech point but I think it involves camping at the top on the levels where the wolves go down and picking off any rocks thrown or fruit dropped. I've never tried it and it sounds boring as batshit in my opinion.

That is my understanding of how the leech works. And boring as batshit just about sums it up, to those that think parachute scabbing in Time Pilot is boring, try this out :lol

The wolf that drops the fruit is not endless AFAIK, I normally pick off what fruit he has, but then he disappears - having said that, I've only ever picked off the fruit when there was one or two wolves yet to come floating down, no idea if he hangs around longer if you have lots of (10+) wolves to come and you keep letting them go.

Yeah MARP don't allow leeching or fast shoot cheats etc. They do allow some different settings, but settings should be stated in the title and most top scores have been watched and verified, for free. Most people play either default or TG settings, but seeing as TG is now dead I don't suppose there is any point in anyone anywhere using TG settings anymore.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah MARP don't allow leeching or fast shoot cheats etc. They do allow some different settings, but settings should be stated in the title and most top scores have been watched and verified, for free. Most people play either default or TG settings, but seeing as TG is now dead I don't suppose there is any point in anyone anywhere using TG settings anymore.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Speaking of TG settings, I was talking to Mark Alpiger the other day, and he brought up some interesting points regarding TG. Some of the settings they state as "official" are not really official, for example some scores set in the old days (say 1980's) were probably set on default settings, since this is how games were sent to the arcades... at some point (during a FunSpot comp for example) TG specified different settings, putting games on harder settings to make games shorter or to sort out the great from the good players. These their became the defacto "official TG Settings"

Going back to the original days of TG, there was no need to record games - fill in a piece of paper and send it in and that was good enough. While they have weeded out many of the fake scores, I doubt many of the players from these eras had the ability to open up a machine and check DIP switches. So while they may be playing a game with 5 lives and bonuses at 20, 60k etc. they would have no real understanding of what difficulty the machine was on unless they'd played the same game at a different arcade and noticed differences. For many games, the difficulty can be anywhere up to 8 different settings.

So, if you're chasing a really old record, there is every chance this game wasn't played on the settings that TG specified - especially if their settings are not factory default.

Speaking of TG settings, I was talking to Mark Alpiger the other day, and he brought up some interesting points regarding TG. Some of the settings they state as "official" are not really official, for example some scores set in the old days (say 1980's) were probably set on default settings, since this is how games were sent to the arcades... at some point (during a FunSpot comp for example) TG specified different settings, putting games on harder settings to make games shorter or to sort out the great from the good players. These their became the defacto "official TG Settings"

I am glad you had the call with the Crystal Castles man. This makes a lot of sense as to what happened, and why some TG settings are harder for some titles than default settings.

Going back to the original days of TG, there was no need to record games - fill in a piece of paper and send it in and that was good enough. While they have weeded out many of the fake scores, I doubt many of the players from these eras had the ability to open up a machine and check DIP switches. So while they may be playing a game with 5 lives and bonuses at 20, 60k etc. they would have no real understanding of what difficulty the machine was on unless they'd played the same game at a different arcade and noticed differences. For many games, the difficulty can be anywhere up to 8 different settings.

So, if you're chasing a really old record, there is every chance this game wasn't played on the settings that TG specified - especially if their settings are not factory default.

I agree with what you have written here in my experience. The settings BITD varied all of the world and who knows if the world record score was made on the later TG settings (earlier quote above), or even default settings for those titles. Just ring in and say someone verified the score and it's a WR. Have all the scores been weeded out, who knows. Wasn't there a WR for Space Invaders, then it was removed for some reason, and we now have a new WR holder? I read in an Aussie newspaper that an Australian had a higher score than the current WR holder. Was that really a score on the wrong settings? I hear a claim about the Robotron marathon WR being fake too. Who knows. Tough for those who are quite certain they are not correct and are going for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah MARP don't allow leeching or fast shoot cheats etc.
Sorry guys, I have seen two or three games uploaded on MARP, of the thousands that are there, and some have used the high rate of fire cheat and some do leech. I am not going to name people or games. One was a top score ... but it still is a great site. :)

• 2 months later...
What's happening in Pennsylvania this weekend? :026:

When and where was the last arcade you went to?

And ... what's your favourite game?

sorry getting back so late i visit an arcade back in 2007 in hersery park but there was a huge option of games. tough question I do enjoy tactics ogre and a bunch of other games i was always into racing games