Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Home Use Only Vs Commercial Usage

I just noticed the post about the LOTR Table and that it also mentioned "Home Use Only".

Could somebody clarify this for me?

Stern is the only way still making pinball tables, right? Does this mean they have a model built for home use and a more robust version for commercial usage?

Or is it more complicated than that?

(Sorry for the noob/possibly silly question)

I just noticed the post about the LOTR Table and that it also mentioned "Home Use Only".

Could somebody clarify this for me?

Stern is the only way still making pinball tables, right? Does this mean they have a model built for home use and a more robust version for commercial usage?

Or is it more complicated than that?

(Sorry for the noob/possibly silly question)

In essence, home use only get played a hell of a lot less and are usually in better condition as you aren't going to bash your own machine around. You can fix problems straight away, whereas sited machines may get neglected.

In essence, home use only get played a hell of a lot less and are usually in better condition as you aren't going to bash your own machine around. You can fix problems straight away, whereas sited machines may get neglected.

Unless it was a poor earner on location and hardly got played. WIN for the new owner.

Really just an indication to buyers that the machine may be in good condition relative to one that has been sited. Not always the case as there are some beautiful machines out there that have been on site at one time or another. Maybe like when a car is advertised as one owner.

Definitely not a guarantee of anything, as at the end of the day, condition of the machine itself is all that counts, wherever it has been.

Actual condition is king regardless of where it has spent its life.

HUO is just a buzzword to add $$$ to the price. If there aren't actual additional monies being outlaid on the machine by way of mods/addons you will typically end up paying over and above market value.

Compare a base level HUO with the calibre of the product that specialwhenlit has removed from site to sell and all the accoutrements (powdercoat, mirror blades et al) that have been added.

No contest.

Edited by matts80

Actual condition is king regardless of where it has spent its life.

HUO is typically just a buzzword to add $$$ to the price. If there aren't actual additional monies being outlaid on the machine by way of mods/addons you are paying over and above market value for nothing.

Compare a base level HUO with the calibre of the product that specialwhenlit has removed from site to sell and all the accoutrements (powdercoat, mirror blades et al) that have been added.

No contest.

Not sure I agree with you there Matt. HUO is always a better option if it is GENUINE. Not just a buzzword for more money, case in point I wanted an immaculate LOTR and managed to get a first release(2003) version with 340 plays on it. It is every bit as good as NIB (new in box) absolutely flawless and worth the higher price I paid. I could have bought one for 1 or even2K less but for me a no brainer as it will continue toy be trouble free for years not the case with the heavily routed machines out there. Yes you can bring them back but that requires more dollars than is feasible at times. just my opinion though I just like really clean low use games if I can get them. And YES they do hold there value better I can testify to that when I have moved them along. ;)

Not sure I agree with you there Matt. HUO is always a better option if it is GENUINE. Not just a buzzword for more money, case in point I wanted an immaculate LOTR and managed to get a first release(2003) version with 340 plays on it. It is every bit as good as NIB (new in box) absolutely flawless and worth the higher price I paid. I could have bought one for 1 or even2K less but for me a no brainer as it will continue toy be trouble free for years not the case with the heavily routed machines out there. Yes you can bring them back but that requires more dollars than is feasible at times. just my opinion though I just like really clean low use games if I can get them. And YES they do hold there value better I can testify to that when I have moved them along. ;)

Liken it too a classic car. An unrestored true low mileage example will sell for more than a restored version.

I think it really comes down to how it was treated in its respective environment.

Last month I checked out a HUO since day one Spiderman. Almost 2500 clocked up games and looked like it had never had the playfield cleaned or the factory installed black rubbers changed to white. It was filthy and the wear around the Doc Oc magnet coupled with the asking price was enough to show me that the seller was simply capitalising on the acronym HUO and nothing more.

Maybe we need to ad a caveat - HUO with an owner who actually cares about machine maintenance. ;)

I'm not a pinball guy, so can someone clear this up - if I buy a HUO machine, is there anything technically stopping me from putting it in a commercial environment to earn cash from? I wouldn't think so :unsure (The debate over me making cash from having this pin at a commercial location can be debated elsewhere)

As someone who used to be in the software industry, I was able to buy "not for resale" products, but these were significantly cheaper because I wasn't legally allowed to resell them, by my thinking, if you are offering a product as "HUO" then it should be exactly the same quality and at a vastly reduced price because it can not be used to earn income from.

I'm not a pinball guy, so can someone clear this up - if I buy a HUO machine, is there anything technically stopping me from putting it in a commercial environment to earn cash from? I wouldn't think so :unsure (The debate over me making cash from having this pin at a commercial location can be debated elsewhere)

As someone who used to be in the software industry, I was able to buy "not for resale" products, but these were significantly cheaper because I wasn't legally allowed to resell them, by my thinking, if you are offering a product as "HUO" then it should be exactly the same quality and at a vastly reduced price because it can not be used to earn income from.

Different context John. The description is to do with the history of the machine. All are in essence made for siting, some don't make it. The only thing you may need to add to a HUO machine if you wanted to site it might be a coin mech.

Stern is the only way

Umm......no.

Unless we are talking CLASSIC Stern... or Bally, or Williams. Hold on on throw in Zac's too.....:)

Man there are games that kill new Sterns. Condition of a game is as easy as checking it out.

I wish my games were HUO, but it aint so. They look good and play great so I don't care.