Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts. Star Wars rebuild

State
    auckland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

cheers ozfalcon I'll follow that up for sure. Yes I agree I'll need to stick to the same material all the way round.

Although I am still thinking I would like a bit of separation between the old and the new. So the old panels might get re-vinyled and the new panels will probably me made from 18mm laminated mdf so will have a black finish anyway. If this turns out to be a crap idea I'll vinyl the new stuff too!
    Last edited by oota goota; 21st September 2013 at 08:19 AM.

State
    Ballajura Perth WA
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    483 Post(s)
    Not sure if your cabinet has monitor brackets.

Perhaps @Hoopstar needs them

The 25" Star Wars monitor brackets (and 19" as well if any one needs them) are being repro'd on KLOV by a reputable guy
    http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=269871

State
    auckland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

thanks Dez I've got 19" brackets. Great that someone is manufacturing new brackets. i'll add that to my resource list

thanks again!

State
    auckland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

wow 3 months have flown past without any work on the cockpit! I finally had time yesterday to do a bit more work. I've tidied up 3 or 4 more pieces and am now working on trolley. It's got a bit of a curve at the back that will need straightening but this appears to be a bit of a common thing in the cockpit.

CAM00136.jpg

I've decided to pull the top sheet off the trolley so I can reattach the side walls properly with lots of glue and screws. The trolleys are well made lots of glue and nails so it's slow going pulling the top off.

Also the trolley had this weird red rubber mat glued over the top of the original. So I'll be looking around for a replacement mat at some stage

CAM00134.jpg

State
    auckland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

whoo hoo more time on the cockpit!

I've pulled off the 'lid' of the trolley, denailed, destapled and given it a bit of a light sand. Man there were a lot of nails and a lot of staples in that sucker. Also each side bracket has about 6 screws in it. When I rebuild the cockpit I'll use glue screws and staples pretty much in the same way the original makers did. I'm really impressed with the amount of fixing they did.

CAM00148 (800x600).jpg

CAM00150 (600x800).jpg

I also noticed these staples sitting either side of a roughly 12mm hole in each corner of the base of the trolley.

CAM00151 (800x600).jpg

Does anyone know what these are? I'm assuming it was for some adjustable feet? Is this standard on the cockpit?

okay more pics soon. I'm hoping to tackle some more of the interior panels

State
    Ballajura Perth WA
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    483 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oota goota View Post

I've pulled off the 'lid' of the trolley, denailed, destapled and given it a bit of a light sand. Man there were a lot of nails and a lot of staples in that sucker. Also each side bracket has about 6 screws in it. When I rebuild the cockpit I'll use glue screws and staples pretty much in the same way the original makers did. I'm really impressed with the amount of fixing they did.

CAM00148 (800x600).jpg

CAM00150 (600x800).jpg

I also noticed these staples sitting either side of a roughly 12mm hole in each corner of the base of the trolley.

CAM00151 (800x600).jpg

Does anyone know what these are? I'm assuming it was for some adjustable feet? Is this standard on the cockpit?

Maybe they changed their minds after originally having levelers

State
    SE Queensland
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Quoted
    874 Post(s)

CAM00151 (800x600).jpg

The staples were used to hold the T-nuts in place, that the leg levellers were screwed into. Keep the pictures coming, always good to see another Star Wars come to life.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

State
    auckland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

Cool cheers Dezbaz cheers John for some reason I assumed that the cockpit just sat on it's wheels.

I'll have a look at Yee's the next time I'm over there (probably the upcoming pincade) unless someone has a pic of what the levellers look like?

Yeah I'll post as many pics with as much info as I can. I'm really enjoying the restoration process. I've found treating each piece as a separate project makes the whole thing less daunting :O

State
    auckland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

Hey all small but painful update today. I've started tidying up the rear side panels. One side the art work was totally shot but it still sucked having to peel it off the panel. The panel it'self is quite swollen in places and the rear corner is missing. Basically all particle board that is darker has water damage and there's a few other uneven parts there too. But that's total fine! I've filled any gaps and cracks with my usual resin/ bog mix and have begun sanding back the panel to get it flatter and flush at the bottom. I've mainly been using a belt sander to level the panel off a bit.

CAM00244.jpgCAM00245.jpg

I don't mind a little bit of warpedness or dents and dings so long as it doesn't interfere with the new art work. But it will be nice to keep a little bit of the patina and wear and tear.

On another note I had a great time yesterday at pincade, I got to drool over Yee's cockpit again and take a few dimensions and realise how much there is left to do!

State
    Ballajura Perth WA
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    483 Post(s)
    Hey all small but painful update today. I've started tidying up the rear side panels. One side the art work was totally shot but it still sucked having to peel it off the panel. The panel it'self is quite swollen in places and the rear corner is missing. Basically all particle board that is darker has water damage and there's a few other uneven parts there too. But that's total fine! I've filled any gaps and cracks with my usual resin/ bog mix and have begun sanding back the panel to get it flatter and flush at the bottom. I've mainly been using a belt sander to level the panel off a bit.

CAM00244.jpgCAM00245.jpg

I don't mind a little bit of warpedness or dents and dings so long as it doesn't interfere with the new art work. But it will be nice to keep a little bit of the patina and wear and tear.

On another note I had a great time yesterday at pincade, I got to drool over Yee's cockpit again and take a few dimensions and realise how much there is left to do!
    Are you remaking that piece? Looks too bad to repair.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information