Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Where is the best place to buy an old Julebox?

If you are looking for a project, just like anything make sure it's complete and cheap.

From what I have been told they do have a lot of hard to get parts.

I have seen 70's non-working projects sell for as much as $1000, 50's and 60's for even more.

Hi all.

So if I'm looking to get an old jukebox in my collection, which type should I buy?

How much should I spend?

Should I buy a project?

I'm really in the dark about these - all I know is I'd like to be able to play 45's in one.

Thanks in advance

this is a easy question.. or is it ??

Ok.. i see you live in Queensland ..

shipping from interstate can be expensive .. but it would depend on you skills, as to if you buy Project or a Re-furbished Running machine, that the cabinet may need attention or a restored machine in great condition..

now there are a few online bidding sites that have jukeboxes, but for what i've seen some of the jukeboxes in Qld are water damaged from flooding .. so ask questions if you go that way..

Now to details :-

this come down the the vintage you want ..

some say late 60's early 70's Rowe/AMI are easy to work on, but as you get into the mid' late 70's they went to computer PCB's to drive the Mech' .. some of the old IC's are now obsolete & makes getting them running hard..

Rock-Ola jukeboxes from the mid' early 60's thru to the late 60's are electromachanical, & in the 70's they added a simple PCB electronics that are easy to work on & you can still get most of the components to repair, then into the 80's thay also went the way of computers to run the system, but being technology from the late 70's you can still buy the chip (IC's) to fix these..

as for Wurlitzer they have a lot of springs in the mech' & can be hard to adjust. the Wurlitzer brand was bought by a German company in 1974 & went there to be built, some can be Ok to work on, but the 60's machine being from the USA you can still get some parts..

Seeburg from the 60's all the way up play the record up-right & is a balancing trick to get it to run smoothly, also if the Tormat (record memory system) fails you need a qualified tech' to service..

Ok. what to recommend :-

well i tell people that want to be able to service their own machines to buy a Rock-Ola from the mid' 60's thru late 70's as the system is easy to follow.. Rowe/AMI would come a close second .. with Wurlitzer & Seeburg coming in third ..

now you may ask about NSM (German built machine) unless you speak German & can get parts from Germany stay clear of them .. The USA speak English & easy to order parts ..

hmmm... another question to think about is do you want the machine just to play 7" 45rpm records, then do you want it to play large & small hole records or are you happy to use the large hole inserts or even punch large holes in your records to play them..

some machine can do both large & small hole & some are either one or the other.. then again you can get some that will play 7" records with a large hole at 45rpm & small hole at 33rpm (extended play) these some time have a switch to change them to play both large & small at 45rpm others you need to change parts ..

PM sent with more details ..

a little more info that just went through in a PM.

if you buy a juke local be sure that it is Australian delivered or built as the current imports are 120v 60hz ..

so if you do look at buying a 120v 60hz machine ONLY buy a Rock-Ola or Rowe/AMI as these are the easiest & cheapest to convert ..

i would also say this to any body that imports cars & looks at filling up their container with a few arcade machines ..

Edited by RocK-Ozla
120v 60hz info

• 5 years later...